- Maryland Route 546
Maryland Route 546 highlighted in red
Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length: 3.41 mi (5.49 km) Major junctions South end: I-68 / US 40 in Finzel MD 946 in Finzel North end: SR 2010 in Finzel Location Counties: Garrett Highway system ← MD 545 MD 547 →
Maryland Route 546 (MD 546) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Finzel Road, state highway runs 3.41 miles (5.49 km) from Interstate 68 (I-68) and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) in Finzel in northeastern Garrett County north to the Pennsylvania state line, where the highway continues as State Route 2010 in Somerset County. MD 546 was constructed in the early 1930s. Its southern part followed what is today MD 946; the southern terminus was shifted west when I-68 was constructed in the early 1970s.
MD 546 begins at the ramps to and from eastbound I-68 and US 40 (National Freeway). The road continues south as Beall School Road. MD 546 crosses I-68 then intersects the exit ramp from eastbound I-68 and unsigned MD 546F, a two-way access road to westbound I-68 and US 40 and US 40 Alternate (National Pike). The state highway passes over US 40 Alternate and continues northeast as a two-lane road to an intersection with MD 946 (Finzel Road), the old alignment of MD 546. MD 546 continues north along the ridgeline of Little Savage Mountain through scattered residences and farmland to its northern terminus at the Pennsylvania state line. The highway continues north as SR 2010 (Greenville Road) through Greenville Township.
MD 546 was constructed as a modern highway in 1933. The state highway originally followed what is now MD 946 to its southern terminus at a standard intersection with US 40 (now US 40 Alternate). MD 946's overpass of US 40 was constructed in 1956 when US 40 was relocated over Little Savage Mountain. MD 546 was relocated to its present southern terminus when the highway's interchange with the I-68 was completed in 1974.
The entire route is in Finzel in Garrett County.
Mile Destinations Notes 0.00 I-68 / US 40 east (National Freeway) / Beall School Road south – Cumberland Southern terminus; I-68 Exit 29 eastbound 0.17
To I-68 / US 40 west (National Freeway) / US 40 Alt. (National Pike) – Grantsville, Frostburg, Morgantown
Access road is unsigned MD 546F; I-68 Exit 29 westbound 0.61 MD 946 south (Finzel Road) Old alignment of MD 546 3.41 SR 2010 north (Greenville Road) – Greenville Township, PA Northern terminus; Pennsylvania state line 1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
MD 546F is the designation for the unnamed 0.43-mile (0.69 km) access road between MD 546 and US 40 Alternate. The access road includes an entrance ramp to westbound I-68. MD 546F was constructed as part of MD 546's interchange with I-68 around 1974.
- ^ a b c d e "Highway Location Reference: Garrett County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2009. http://www.marylandroads.com/Location/2009_GARRETT.pdf. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- ^ Google, Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 546 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Beall+School+Rd%2FMD-546&daddr=md-546+and+greenville+road+finzel,md&hl=en&geocode=FSKDXQId6P5K-w%3BFeEeXgId_HRL-ynPyWztbZTKiTFgogSFRKeu-w&mra=ls&sll=39.683494,-78.970617&sspn=0.00379,0.009645&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- ^ Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PDF). General Highway Map: Somerset County, Pennsylvania (Map) (2009 ed.). ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/GHS/Roadnames/somerset_GHSN.pdf. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland. 1931-1934. Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. 1934-12-28. p. 336. http://www.archive.org/details/reportofstateroa1931mary. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1933 ed.).
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland. 1955-1956. Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. 1956-11-02. p. 189. http://www.archive.org/details/annualreportsofs1955mary. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- ^ Maryland State Highway Administration. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1974 ed.).
- ^ Google, Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 546F (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Piney+Run+Rd&geocode=Fe6JXQIdjAVL-w%3BFc6YXQIdiu5K-w&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.660465,-78.90719&sspn=0.060658,0.154324&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
Roads in Garrett County, Maryland State highways U.S. Highways Interstate Highways
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maryland Route 135 — highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 42 — Friendsville Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 948 — Route information Maintained by MDSHA Location Co … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 39 — highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 38 — Kitzmiller Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 560 — highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 826 — Route information Maintained by MDSHA Location Co … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 669 — Springs Road Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 547 — highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 545 — Route information … Wikipedia