- Yuji Hirayama
Hirayama is also a big-wall climber with ascents of
El Capitan. During September 2002, Hirayama and Hans Florineclimbed "The Nose" in 2:48:55, setting a new speed record. In 2007 this record was broken by the German "Huberbuam" ( Alexander Huberand Thomas Huber). The two brothers climbed "The Nose" on October 8th, 2007 in 2 hours, 45 minutes and 45 seconds. On July 2, 2008, Hirayama and Florine retook the record in a time of 2:43:33.
(On 2005 Aug 10,
Tomas Mrazekhad the 2nd 8c onsight, "Patra Negra" at Rodellar in northern Spain.)
Yuji is also the first Asian climber to win the climbing world cup.
"Flat Mountain" comes from a
literal translationof Yuji's family name, Hira(平)-yama(山), into English.
* [http://www.jsm.jp/yuji/ Yuji Hirayama homepage] (in Japanese)
* [http://climbing.com/news/yuji14bonsight/ news] of onsight of "White Zombie"
* [http://www.bealplanet.com/beal-video/white_zombie/whitezombie1.htm video] thereof
* [http://www.climbing.com/news/flatmountain/index.html "Flat Mountain"]
* [http://climbing.com/print/features/japan235/index.html Way of Weekend Warrior article]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.