- Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park
Leeuwin-Naturaliste is a national park in
Western Australia( Australia), 267 km south of Perth. It is named after the two locations at either end of the park which have lighthouses, Cape Leeuwinand Cape Naturaliste.It is located in the Augusta-Margaret Riverand Busseltoncouncil areas, and is claimed to have the highest visiting numbers of any national park in Western Australia.
It has significant stands of
karriand jarrah forest, as well as an extensive network of caves - some of which are accessible by the public.
Leeuwin - Naturaliste Ridge
The national park was created from crown lands along the Leeuwin - Naturaliste ridge at a time after the main primary industries in the region had been dairying and forestry, and when increased land use conflict was arising from the spread of wineries, increased population on hobby farms and other agricultural activities.
Since then many competing land uses have created a complex land management scenario for state and local government authorities trying to mediate quite conflicting issues. The national park is located on the some of the most vulnerable land in the region.
The ridges geology and the variations in vegetation are confined to a number of very narrow bands that follow the north south orientation of the ridge.
The ridge has a whole series of caves that run the length of the ridge. It also has the cave known as
Devil's Lairwhich has impportant archaeological significance.
Cape to Cape Track
In 2001, the
Department of Environment and Conservation(DCE) opened the Cape to Cape Track, a 135 kilometre walking track along the Leeuwin-Naturaliste ridge.
* Bastian, L. V. "Minerals and their relationships in the Leeuwin block Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park" Perth : Government Chemical Laboratories, [1977?]
* "Cape to Cape Walk Track - Hamelin Bay to Cape Leeuwin 29 km" Department of Conservation and Environment, Busselton. n.d. pamphlet
** -- "Shaping the Capes: Rocks and landforms of the Leeuwin-Naturaliste Ridge" an explanation of the Leeuwin Naturaliste Ridge.
* Orr, Kate. and Frewer, Paul (1988) "Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park Management plan : summary of public submissions, November 1988" Como, W.A : Dept. of Conservation and Land Management.
* Taylor, Neil., Scott, Jane., Thomson-Dans, Carolyn and Banks, Roger.(n.d.) "Feast for the Soul" pp.15-20 of "The Best of the South West" - Landscope special edition, Kensington, W.A.: Dept. of Conservation and Land Management ISBN 0-7307-5552-5
* Western Australian Planning Commission. Statement of planning policy. No. 7, "Leeuwin-Naturaliste Ridge Policy". Perth, W.A. : Govt. Printer - in - Western Australian government gazette, Perth, Friday 18 September 1998, No. 189. Special. 5191-5215 p. .
* Western Australian Planning Commission. " Leeuwin-Naturaliste Ridge planning review : issues, opportunities and directions : discussion paper for public comment" / Western Australian Planning Commission, Shires of Augusta-Margaret River and Busselton. [Perth, W.A.] : The Commission, 1995.
*"Area:" 190 km²
*"Date of establishment:" 1957
*"Managing authorities:" Department of Conservation and Land Management
*"IUCN category:" II
Protected areas of Western Australia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park — noun a national park in south western WA, comprising the coastal area from Cape Naturaliste south to Cape Leeuwin and including the Boranup Karri Forest. 19 700 ha … Australian English dictionary
Drysdale River National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia
Collier Range National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia
D'Entrecasteaux National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) Near Long Point, D Entrecasteaux National Park … Wikipedia
Drovers Cave National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia
Hidden Valley National Park — Mirima National Park IUCN Category II (National Park) Kununurra from Mirima National Park lookout … Wikipedia
Millstream-Chichester National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) Looking toward the Chiche … Wikipedia
Moore River National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia
Mount Augustus National Park — IUCN Category III (Natural Monument) Mount Augustus … Wikipedia
Mount Frankland National Park — IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia