St Martin's Church, Knebworth
Knebworth shown within Hertfordshire
Population c4,500 OS grid reference District North Hertfordshire Shire county Hertfordshire Region East Country England Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town Stevenage Postcode district SG3 Dialling code 01438 Police Hertfordshire Fire Hertfordshire Ambulance East of England EU Parliament East of England UK Parliament Stevenage List of places: UK • England • Hertfordshire
Knebworth is a village and civil parish in the north of Hertfordshire, England immediately south of Stevenage. The civil parish covers an area between the villages of Datchworth, Woolmer Green, Codicote, Kimpton, Whitwell, St Paul's Walden and Langley, and encompasses the village of Knebworth, the small village of Old Knebworth and Knebworth House.
There is evidence of people living in the area as far back as Neolithic times and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is referred to as Chenepeworde (the farm belonging to the Dane, Cnebba) with a population of 150. The original village, now known as Old Knebworth, developed around Knebworth House. Development of the newer Knebworth village started in the late 19th century centred a mile to the east of Old Knebworth on the new railway station and the Great North Road (subsequently the A1, and now the B197 since the opening of the A1(M) motorway in 1962).
Knebworth has, since 1974, been famously associated with numerous major open air rock and pop concerts at Knebworth House.
Places of worship
- St Martin’s, Church of England, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and consecrated by the bishop of St Albans, Edgar Jacob, in 1915
- St Mary’s, Church of England, parts of which date back to 1120
- St Thomas More, Roman Catholic Church, built in 1936
- Trinity Church, a Methodist Church and United Reformed Church local ecumenical partnership built in 1996 with roots in the village dating back to 1880
Education and leisure
- Knebworth Primary and Nursery school
- The Roebuck Inn, its oldest public house (now in Stevenage) dating back to 1420
- The Lytton Arms (in Old Knebworth) which is an early Victorian building
- The The Station public house which was built in 1883
- Recreation ground, incorporating football pitches, tennis courts, bowling green and adventure playground
- Edward Ballbag-Lytton
- A. Duncan Carse, painter, of Deards End 1922-1923
- Barbara Follett
- Ken Follett
- Earls of Lytton
- Henry Lytton-Cobbold
- Tim Marlow
- Lucy Mitchole
- Barry Norman, film critic and broadcaster
- Kyle Jenner,rock and roll star, member of not 1, not 2, not 3 but FOUR bands. Yes, FOUR BANDS.
- ^ Royal Academy Dictionary of Exhibitors: Summer Exhibition catalogue archives
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Knebworth — Borough of Stevenage … Deutsch Wikipedia
Knebworth — 51° 51′ 58″ N 0° 11′ 02″ W / 51.866, 0.184 … Wikipédia en Français
Knebworth F.C. — Football club infobox clubname = Knebworth fullname = Knebworth Football Club nickname = The K s founded = 1901 (reformed 1999) ground = Knebworth Recreation Ground capacity = tbc chairman = TBA manager = Steve Cornwell league = Herts Senior… … Wikipedia
Knebworth — Original name in latin Knebworth Name in other language Knebworth State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 51.86674 latitude 0.18394 altitude 92 Population 4168 Date 2010 08 03 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Knebworth House — is a country house in the civil parish of Knebworth in Hertfordshire, England.The home of the Lytton family since 1490, when Thomas Bourchier sold the reversion of the manor to Sir Robert Lytton, Knebworth House was originally a genuine red brick … Wikipedia
Knebworth (Concert) — Knebworth est un concert de rock britannique donné à Knebworth, une ville anglaise de l Hertfordshire, le samedi 30 juin 1990. Historique C était un concert organisé par et pour le Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Center (musicothérapie au profit… … Wikipédia en Français
Knebworth (concert) — Knebworth est un concert de rock britannique donné à Knebworth, une ville anglaise de l Hertfordshire, le samedi 30 juin 1990. Historique C était un concert organisé par et pour le Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Center (musicothérapie au profit… … Wikipédia en Français
Knebworth (album) — Knebworth Park est un album non officiel live du groupe de britpop anglais Oasis. Le live, de très bonne qualité, a été enregistré la seconde nuit, le 11 août 1996. Le groupe a joué ce live lors de la tournée de leur second album, (What s the… … Wikipédia en Français
Knebworth House — Borough of Stevenage DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Knebworth Festival 1979 — infobox concert tour concert tour name = Knebworth 1979 artist = Led Zeppelin type = Concert locations = Knebworth House, England start date = August 4, 1979 end date = August 11, 1979 number of legs = 1 number of shows = 2 last tour = North… … Wikipedia