- Ministry of Health and Social Affairs (Sweden)
Ministry of Health and Social Affairs Socialdepartementet overview Formed 1920 Employees about 200 Ministers responsible Göran Hägglund
Website sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2061 Kingdom of Sweden
This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
The Ministry of Health and Social Affairs (Swedish: Socialdepartementet) is the ministry in the government of Sweden responsible for policies related to social welfare: financial security, social services, medical and health care, health promotion and the rights of children and disabled people.
The Ministry of Health and Social Affairs employs approximately 200 members of staff. About 20 of these are political appointees and 180 non-politically appointed officials. The ministry is headed by the Minister for Health and Social Affairs, currently Göran Hägglund (kd). Two more ministers serve at the Ministry: the Minister for Elderly Care and Public Health, Maria Larsson (kd) and Cristina Husmark Pehrsson (m), Minister for Social Security.
The ministry offices are located at Fredsgatan 8 in central Stockholm.
Government agencies and other bodies
The Ministry of Health and Social Affairs is principle for 17 government agencies, two state-owned companies and two institutes.
- Swedish National Alcoholic Beverages Product Range Board, or Alkoholsortimentsnämnden. (Official site) Ensures the state retail monopoly functions in a non-discriminatory manner.
- Medical Products Agency, or Läkemedelsverket (LV). (Official site) Responsible for regulatory control of pharmaceuticals, related medical products and drug information.
- Swedish National Medical Responsibility Board, or Hälso- och sjukvårdens ansvarsnämnd. (Official site) Investigates and rules on cases involving malpractice in the health and medical sector.
- Swedish National Pharmaceutical Benefits Board, or Läkemedelsförmånsnämnden. (Official site)
- Swedish National Agency for Special Educational Support, or Statens institut för särskilt utbildningsstöd (Sisus). (Official site) Aims to improve educational opportunities for young people and adults with disabilities.
- Swedish National Board for Intercountry Adoptions, or Statens nämnd för internationella adoptionsfrågor (NIA). (Official site) Overall responsibility for intercountry adoptions.
- Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, or Socialstyrelsen. (Official site). Supervises, plans, coordinates and monitors health, medical and social care services.
- Swedish National Board of Institutional Care, or Statens institutionsstyrelse (SiS). (Official site). Responsible for compulsory care of young offenders and young people with drug and alcohol problems at special treatment homes and institutions.
- Swedish National Institute for Psychosocial Medicine, or Institutet för psykosocial medicin. (Official site) Investigates and monitors research on psychosocial factors.
- Swedish National Institute of Public Health, or Folkhälsoinstitutet. (Official site) Monitors, evaluates and disseminates knowledge about methods in the public health sphere. Carries on supervisory activities within the areas alcohol, drugs and tobacco.
- Swedish National Social Insurance Board, or Riksförsäkringsverket (RFV). (Official site) Central administration of the social insurance system.
- Swedish Ombudsman for Children, or Barnombudsmannen. (Official site) Observes matters affecting the rights and interests of children and young people.
- Swedish Disability Ombudsman, or Handikappombudsmannen. (Official site) Monitors issues relating to the rights and interests of persons with disabilities
- Swedish Social Insurance Offices, or Försäkringskassan. Local administration of social insurance.
- Swedish Federation of Social Insurance Offices, or Försäkringskasseförbundet (Official site)
- Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research, or Forskningsrådet för arbetsliv och socialvetenskap. (Official site) Promotes and supports basic and applied research in the fields of working life, social science and public science.
- Swedish National Council on Technology Assessment in Health care, or Statens beredning för utvärdering av medicinsk metodik (SBU). (Official site) Appraises the methods used in health care and makes objective assessments of costs, risks and benefits of these methods.
- Swedish Handicap Institute, or Hjälpmedelsinstitutet. (Official site) Assistive technology (testing, evaluation, research and development, information and training) and accessibility.
- Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, or Smittskyddsinstitutet (SMI). (Official site) Epidemiological surveillance, reference laboratories and diagnostics.
- Apoteket. (Official site) Exclusive right to conduct retail sales of pharmaceuticals.
- Systembolaget (the Swedish Alcohol Retailing Monopoly). (Official site) Exclusive right to conduct retail sales of alcoholic beverages.
- Ministry of Health and Social Affairs, official website (English)
Government ministries of Sweden Present FormerLand Defence · Sea Defence · Civil Affairs · Trade · Communications · Public Housekeeping · Interior · Housing · Budget · Economy
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Minister for Health and Social Affairs (Sweden) — Minister for Health and Social Affairs is the title of the head of the Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs. List of Swedish Ministers for Health and Social Affairs: 1920 1920 Bernhard Eriksson (1878 1952), Social Democratic 1920 1921… … Wikipedia
Ministry of Integration and Gender Equality (Sweden) — Ministry of Integration and Gender Equality Integrations och jämställdhetsdepartementet overview Formed 2007 (2007) Ministers responsible Nyamko Sabuni Erik Ullenhag … Wikipedia
Ministry of Health — may refer to: Ministry of Health (Algeria) Ministry of Health (Armenia) Ministry of Health (Brazil) (Ministério da Saúde) Ministry of Health (Burma) Ministry of Health (Chile) (Ministerio de Salud de Chile) and Fondo Nacional de Salud (FONASA)… … Wikipedia
Ministry of Education and Research (Sweden) — Ministry of Education and Research Utbildningsdepartementet overview Formed 1840 (1840) Employees about 200 Ministers responsible … Wikipedia
Ministry for Rural Affairs (Sweden) — Ministry of Agriculture Jordbruksdepartementet overview Formed 1900 (1900) Employees about 130 Minister responsible … Wikipedia
Ministry for Foreign Affairs (Sweden) — Ministry for Foreign Affairs Utrikesdepartementet Arvfurstens palats, the seat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, at Gustav Adolfs torg in Stockholm … Wikipedia
Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (Iran) — Ministry of Information and Communication Technology وزارت ارتباطات و فناوری اطلاعات Agency overview Formed 1908 Jurisdiction Islami … Wikipedia
Health and Disease — ▪ 2009 Introduction Food and Drug Safety. In 2008 the contamination of infant formula and related dairy products with melamine in China led to widespread health problems in children, including urinary problems and possible renal tube… … Universalium
Ministry of Intelligence and National Security (Iran) — Islamic Republic Of Iran Intelligence Ministry VAJA, VEVAK وزارت اطّلاعات جمهوری اسلامی ایران Agency overview Formed August 18, 1984 Jurisdiction Islamic Republic of Iran Agency executive Heyd … Wikipedia
Ministry of Justice and the Police (Norway) — The Royal Norwegian Ministry of Justice and the Police (Justis og politidepartementet) is a Norwegian government ministry in charge of justice, police and domestic intelligence. The main purpose of the Ministry is to provide for the maintenance… … Wikipedia