- Wells-Ogunquit Community School District
Community School District
Ensuring Continuous Improvement
for Each Learner
Type and location Type Public Grades K through 12 and Adult Established 1980 Country USA Location Wells, Maine District Info Superintendent Elaine M. Tomaszewski Budget $20,498,188 (2008-2009) Students and staff Students 1,359 (K-12, 2011-2012) Other information Website WOCSD.org
Throughout 2008 and 2009, in order to comply with the state's school consolidation law introduced in 2008, the district attempted to find another district to merge with, in order to form a Regional School Unit. Wells-Ogunquit explored merging with MSAD 71 (Kennebunk-Kennebunkport), as well as the York and Kittery school departments, but was unable to reach an agreement with any of them. Wells-Ogunquit submitted a waiver application to the state, which was rejected. The state then recommended that Wells-Ogunquit merge with the Acton School Department, despite the substantial geographic distance between Acton and the two towns. Under the pressure of a deadline from the state, the towns of Acton, Ogunquit, and Wells held referendums to determine whether voters would approve or deny the consolidation. Voters in all three towns rejected the plan. Under the consolidation law, Wells-Ogunquit is therefore allowed to remain a "stand-alone" district with no penalty.
The district is governed by a school committee, which consists of six elected at-large members: three from Ogunquit and three from Wells.
- Wells Elementary School provides classes for students in Kindergarten through fourth grade. 2011-2012 enrollment: 478 students.
- Wells Junior High School provides classes for students in fifth grade through eighth grade. 2011-2012 enrollment: 449 students.
- Wells High School provides classes for students in ninth grade through twelfth grade. 2011-2012 enrollment: 432 students.
- Wells-Ogunquit Adult Community Education provides continuing education classes for adults of all ages.
- ^ Wells-Ogunquit CSD 2009-2010 Budget Explanation, May 2009, http://wocsd.org/budget_0910/pdfs/2010_budget_annual_report.pdf, retrieved 5 November 2009
- ^ a b c d Delaney Angus, Linda (15 September 2011). "WOCSD board hears update on WHS field". York County Coast Star. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110915-NEWS-109150360. Retrieved 15 September 2011. "On the first day of school this year, there were 478 students at Wells Elementary School, down five students from last school year; 449 students at Wells Junior High, down by nine students from last year; and 432 at Wells High School, an increase of four students over last year. That totals 1,359 students within the district."
- ^ Kanak, Jim (21 November 2008). "Wells-Ogunquit School District to seek consolidation with Acton". York County Coast Star (Seacoast Media Group). http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20081121-NEWS-81121027. Retrieved 26 September 2009. "Wells-Ogunquit has failed in attempts to merge with MSAD 71 (Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Arundel) and York. The WOCSD briefly discussed forming an AOS with Kittery at the Department of Education’s suggestion, but neither district saw much hope in consolidating so the talks quickly ended."
- ^ Bodnar, Steve (9 April 2009). "Wells-Ogunquit schools to stand alone". York County Coast Star (Seacoast Media Group). http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20090409-NEWS-904090376. Retrieved 26 September 2009. "After a long struggle to reorganize under the state's school consolidation law, the Maine Department of Education has determined that the WOCSD meets the state requirements to stand as its own district. The approval came just a week after voters from Wells, Ogunquit and Acton, during a March 24 referendum, overwhelmingly rejected plans for a so-called Alternative Organizational Structure that would have streamlined the Acton and WOCSD administrations, creating a joint school committee."
Wells-Ogunquit Community School District official web site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wells, Maine — Town Town Hall … Wikipedia
Ogunquit, Maine — Town Beachmere Inn Motto: Beautiful place by the sea … Wikipedia
Wells High School — Infobox School name = Wells High School imagesize = caption = motto = Striving For Excellence established = 1903 type = Public, secondary affiliation = district = Wells Ogunquit Community School District grades = 9 12 president = principal =… … Wikipedia
List of school districts in Maine — List of school districts in MainePublic school systems in Maine are in several types of school administrative units: Cities which have their own School Departments, also known as cities with individual supervision; School Administrative Districts … Wikipedia
Waterboro, Maine — Town Little Ossipee Lake … Wikipedia