- Craig Reucassel
Birth name Craig Bruce Reucassel Born 1 January 1977
Medium Radio, Television, Print & Stage Nationality Australian Years active 1999-present Genres Satirical comedy Notable works and roles The Chaser
The Chaser Decides (2001, 2004, 2007)
The Chaser's War On Everything (2006-2007)
The Chaser's Age Of Terror Variety Hour(2008)
Yes We Canberra! (2010)
Craig Bruce Reucassel (born 31 December 1976, in South Africa) is a television and radio comedian from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. He is best known for being a member of satirical team The Chaser. He currently hosts the Australian version of Balls of Steel, which premiered in April 2011.
Reucassel was born in South Africa and later moved to Adelaide with his parents. There, he attended Semaphore Park Primary School. Reucassel later attended Bowral Public School in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, becoming the only Chaser member to be public school educated. In 1993 while attending the school he represented the school in the The Sydney Morning Herald Plain English Speaking competition, as did future Chaser member Julian Morrow. At the time he was noted for using game theory in his selection of HSC subjects, choosing to major in the humanities. He graduated from Bowral High School with a UAI of 99.90.
Reucassel attended the University of Sydney, graduating with Arts and Law degrees. With a strong dedication to extracurricular activities on campus, Reucassel ran the Arts revue, the rowing club, and debated at several World Championships including ranking 30th in the World at Manila in 1999, and ranking 167th in Glasgow in 2001. Furthermore, in 2000 he competed in the Philip C. Jessup Cup international law mooting competition, his team winning the Australian rounds. He graduated from the Sydney Law School, along with Chaser colleagues Julian Morrow, Dominic Knight and Chas Licciardello.
In 2004 and 2005, Reucassel co-hosted the drive-time radio show Today Today on Triple J with fellow Chaser Chris Taylor. The pair returned with their Sunday afternoon show Bloody Sunday to do relief shifts in mid-2006 and summer 2006-07.
Craig to return Triple J radio as moved to ABC TV entertainment shows.
The Chaser's War on Everything
Reucassel was a founding member of the satirical multi-media group The Chaser team, and worked to produce their satirical newspaper, as well as television shows on ABC TV including The Election Chaser, CNNNN, The Chaser Decides and The Chaser's War on Everything. He has been one of the main presenters on The War since the pilot episode. He and his wife Keisha have three children together, and their son Ollie has appeared on some of the sketches on The War. Reucassel was often the one selected to confront former Prime Minister John Howard on his morning walks, most famously in the axe stunt (see below).
On 19 March 2007, during a campaign appearance for the New South Wales State Election, the then opposition leader Peter Debnam was confronted by Reucassel wearing nothing but Speedos and a baseball cap, making fun of Debnam's campaign appearances in the swimwear. When TV cameras remained focused on Reucassel rather than Mr Debnam, he said, "Sorry, I'm not Peter Debnam, he's over there. Just because I'm wearing this doesn't mean I'm Peter Debnam". Reucassel stuck around for the press conference but failed to draw a response from the opposition leader, and was again ignored when he went to shake Mr Debnam's hand.
The Axe Stunt
On 2 August 2006, Reucassel responded to a news story about a private school student who had hugged then Prime Minister John Howard while holding a screwdriver during one of the PM's morning walks. To test the Prime Minister's security arrangements, he approached John Howard during a morning walk and asked for a hug while holding a large plastic battle axe. Reucassel did receive the hug, but a later approach while holding a running chainsaw was not so successful. There was much debate surrounding whether to turn on the chainsaw and whether they would be shot at for doing this. Cut out from this segment was an unsuccessful attempt that took place between the axe and the chainsaw, in which Reucassel was holding a four-point-star mace.
- Good News Week
- Episode #6.6 (2008) TV Episode .... Himself
- Episode #6.1 (2008) TV Episode .... Himself
- The Einstein Factor
- 01/03/2009 (2009) TV Episode .... Himself
- 25/05/2008 (2008) TV Episode .... Himself
- ^ Simon Wooldridge (2007-09-01). "Burning with the times". Rolling Stone Australia.
- ^ Rebekah Devlin; Peter Woods, Carla Caruso and Noami Jellicoe (2005-06-20). "Ducking the dark days of childhood". The Advertiser.
- ^ World Debate Website
- ^ World Debate Website
- ^ "The Sydney Law School Reports - Volume 1 2000" (PDF). Archived from the original on 2006-09-17. http://web.archive.org/web/20060917043325/http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/alumni/docs_pdfs/slr2000vol1.pdf. Retrieved 2007-01-09.
- ^ "The Sydney Law School Reports - April 2004 Newsletter" (PDF). Archived from the original on 2006-09-17. http://web.archive.org/web/20060917043353/http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/alumni/docs_pdfs/slr2004apr.pdf. Retrieved 2007-01-09.
- ^ a b Quinn, Ben (2005-10-15). "Comedy of terrors". The Newcastle Herald (John Fairfax Holdings Limited).
- ^ Javes, Sue (2003-11-08). "Identity Crisis Chases Sons Of Satire Into Radio Make-or-break". The Sydney Morning Herald (John Fairfax Holdings Limited).
- ^ "Speedo wearing comedian confronts Debnam". The Age. 2007-03-19. http://www.theage.com.au/news/NATIONAL/Speedowearing-comedian-confronts-Debnam/2007/03/19/1174152947020.html.
- ^ "Australia's MOST WANTED - The Chaser's WAR ON COMEDY". The Australian. 2007-03-17. http://www.newstext.com.au/pages/v.asp?doc=TAM%2D20070317%2D1%2D001%2DK306700%40NAT%2DNEWS%2D2008%2D2007&k2docdate=17/03/2007&querytext=%28Chaser%5C%27s+war+on+comedy%29+%3CAND%3E+%28%28SDate%3E%3D02%2F20%2F2007%29%29&Auth=0&site=ALL&Pick=ONE&dtype=4&f=1&WF=%2Fsupport%2Fdb%2Easp%3Fdoc%3DTAM%252D20070317%252D1%252D001%252DK306700%2540NAT%252DNEWS%252D2008%252D2007%26k2docdate%3D17%2F03%2F2007%26querytext%3D%2528Chaser%255C%2527s%2Bwar%2Bon%2Bcomedy%2529%2B%253CAND%253E%2B%2528%2528SDate%253E%253D02%252F20%252F2007%2529%2529%26Auth%3D0%26v%3D1%26site%3DALL%26Pick%3DONE.
- ^ "Chaser star cleared over Bulldogs stunt". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2007-01-23. http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1831871.htm.
- ^ The Chaser's War on Everything Season 1.2 DVD audio commentary.
The Chaser Literary productions Television productionsThe Election Chaser / The Chaser Decides / Yes We Canberra! • CNNNN • News Alert • War on Everything (episodes) • The Hamster Wheel Radio productions Stage productions Related articles
- Good News Week
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Chaser's War on Everything — season two intertitle Genre Comedy, Satire Created by The Chaser … Wikipedia
List of The Chaser's War on Everything episodes — Contents 1 Series 1 (2006) 2 Series 2 (2007) 3 Series 3 (2009) 4 See also The following is a list of episodes of the Australian satirical televisio … Wikipedia
Chris Taylor (comedian) — Chris Taylor Chris Taylor Birth name Christopher Thornton Taylor Born 15 July 1974 (1974 07 15) (age … Wikipedia
Today Today — Genre Satire Running time 150 minutes Country Australia Languages English Home station Triple J … Wikipedia
CNNNN — title card Genre Comedy Format Satirical American news channel … Wikipedia
The Chaser — ] The Chaser has since released three annuals and a best of annual which compiled the best of the five preceding annuals: * The Chaser Annual 2005: By Dan Brown * 50 Golden Years of The Chaser 1955 2005 * The Chaser Annual 2006: Burqa s Backyard… … Wikipedia
Triple J — City of license Various Broadcast area Australia: FM, internet, di … Wikipedia
Dominic Knight — Birth name Dominic Sebastian Knight Born 26 January 1977 (age 34) … Wikipedia
The Chaser APEC pranks — were comic stunts which targeted the 2007 Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Leaders Summit in Sydney, Australia. All of these pranks were planned, coordinated and performed by Australian satire group The Chaser during September 2007, for… … Wikipedia
Chas Licciardello — Birth name Chas John Licciardello Born 10 May 1977 (1977 05 10 … Wikipedia