- Male bra
Male bra – also known as a compression bra, compression vest, Gynecomastia vest, Manssiere or Bro – refers to brassieres that are worn by men. Adolescent boys and middle-aged men sometimes develop breasts and the estimates of those with the condition are presented as a range "because the definition of gynecomastia varies and the method of surveying varies." Although there are options for treating gynecomastia, some elect surgery to reduce their breasts or wear a male bra. Male bras typically flatten rather than lift.
Men who choose to wear a brassiere may broadly be divided into two categories, depending on whether or not the brassiere is worn primarily for utilitarian purposes. Some men who have large breasts as a result of obesity or gynecomastia may choose to wear a brassiere to provide support for their breasts and to flatten their appearance. Other men wear bras for cross-dressing, for sexual purposes such as transvestic fetishism or feminization, or as a form of submission to their partner. Petticoat discipline may also involve male bra wear. Additionally, some male athletes (more specifically runners) may choose to wear a sports bra under their shirts in order to prevent a common medical condition called jogger's nipple, also known as nipple chafing. This condition is caused by excessive rubbing of wet (sweat soaked) material over one's nipples. The condition often very painful, and can be prevented by wearing a sports bra.
Although some bras for men have been developed, they often differ only superficially from their female counterparts. There is sometimes no medical necessity for men to wear bras, and the same considerations for and against apply to both genders.
Another name commonly used for this garment is the "bro", a play on words that draws on its roots in romance languages, where the suffix "a" refers to a feminine object and "o" to a male object.
In popular culture
- An episode of the TV sitcom Seinfeld, titled "The Doorman," had the character Kramer invent a male bra, which he called a "bro," for Frank Costanza, who had very large breasts. Frank initially decided to market the invention, but disagreed on the name, instead wanting to call it a "Manssiere," a play on the term "brassiere".
- Growth hormone treatment for bodybuilding
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- ^ a b Cox, Therese Smith. (August 1, 2000) Charleston Daily Mail Men who develop breasts more numerous than people realize. Section: News; Page 1D.
- ^ Read, Genevieve. (July 15, 2007) Sunday Tasmanian The curves men hate. Section: 1; Page 16.
- ^ Tober, Bruce\ (August 2004). "Boys With Breasts". Channel 4. http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/0-9/4health/body/mhe_gynaecomastia.html. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- ^ Watrous, Monica (August 26, 2007). "A Masculine Taboo". Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2003849759_malebreasts26.html. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- ^ McGivern, Mark; Main, Jill. (January 23, 2002) Daily Record Men are from Mars ..
- ^ brassiered: a complete guide to brassiere discipline
- ^ Brassiered Husband
- ^ Bumgardner, Wendy (July 26, 2007). "Men Who Need Chest Support". About.com. http://walking.about.com/od/sportsbras/a/sensmensbra.htm. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- ^ Enell Sports Bra: for men
- ^ Female Intelligence Agency: Men and bras
- ^ Lemonick, Michael D. (September 19, 2007). "Men's Breasts: No Joking Matter". Time (magazine). http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1663453,00.html?imw=Y. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
Lingerie Upper torsoOther Lower torso Full torso Hosiery Historical Accessories BrandsAerie · Agent Provocateur · American Apparel · Baby Phat · Bali · Berlei · Bruno Banani · Calvin Klein · Chantelle · DKNY · Formfit · Frederick's of Hollywood · Fruit of the Loom · Gerbe · Gilly Hicks · Hanes · HerRoom · Intimissimi · Intimo Lingerie · Jockey · Jolidon · La Senza · Maidenform · No Nonsense · Olga Intimates · Passport Panties · Peach John · Playtex · Pretty Polly · Trashy Lingerie · Triumph International · Ultimo · Underalls · Valisere · Vassarette · Victoria's Secret · Wacoal · Warner's · Wolford · Wonderbra · XTG Extreme Game
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bra — may refer to:* Brassiere, an undergarment * Male bra, an undergarment * Bra (CN), a city in Italy * Bra ket notation, used for describing quantum states in the theory of quantum mechanics * Bra (store chain), formerly a Swedish store chain that… … Wikipedia
bra — I South African Slang Origin: Afrikanerisms male friend compare American English: dude II South African Slang Origin: Original South African English coinages male friend (shortening of brother , see also bru above) III South African Slang Origin … English dialects glossary
Nursing bra — A new mother wearing a nursing bra as she breastfeeds her infant. A nursing bra is a specialized brassiere that provides additional support to women s milk filled breasts and permits comfortable breastfeeding without the need to remove the bra.… … Wikipedia
Cupless bra — Cupless bra, or shelf bra design A cupless bra, sometimes known as a shelf, open tip, open nipple or open cup bra, is a brassiere design composed of a rigid, under wired frame along the inframammary line, that supports or lifts a woman s… … Wikipedia
Chu-Bra!! — ちゅーぶら!! (Chū Bura!!) Genre Comedy … Wikipedia
No Bra — For the band, see No Bra (band) No Bra Cover of volume 1 of No bra のーぶら (No Bura) Genre … Wikipedia
Brassiere — This article is about the female undergarment. For the restaurant, see Brasserie … Wikipedia
Undergarment — Underwear redirects here. For other uses, see Underwear (disambiguation). Women s panties or knickers … Wikipedia
Cleavage enhancement — A cross dresser s enhanced cleavage with a deep V neckline … Wikipedia
Thong (clothing) — This article is about the type of clothing. For the footwear, see flip flops. For other uses, see Thong. Woman wearing a T back style thong The thong is a garment generally worn as either underwear or as a swimsuit in many industrialized… … Wikipedia