- Military history of ancient Rome
This article is part of the series on:
Military of ancient Rome (portal)
753 BC – AD 476
Structural history Roman army (unit types and ranks, legions, auxiliaries, generals) Roman navy (fleets, admirals) Campaign history Lists of wars and battles Decorations and punishments Technological history Military engineering (castra, siege engines, arches, roads) Political history Strategy and tactics Infantry tactics Frontiers and fortifications (limes, Hadrian's Wall)
The military history of ancient Rome is inseparable from its political system, based from an early date upon competition within the ruling elite. Two consuls were elected each year to head the government of the state, and in the early to mid-Republic were assigned a consular army and an area in which to campaign.
From Gaius Marius and Sulla onwards, control of the army began to be tied in to the political ambitions of individuals, leading to the political triumvirate of the late 1st century BC and its resolution in a civil war that led to the Republic's collapse. The Empire was increasingly plagued by usurpations led or supported by military conspiracies, leading to the Crisis of the Third Century in the late empire and eventual final decline.
Following is a list of topics on the military history of ancient Rome.
- The branches of the Roman military at the highest level were the Roman army and the Roman navy. Within these branches the actual structure was subject to substantial change throughout its history.
- The history of Rome is inseparable from its military history over the roughly thirteen centuries that the Roman state existed. The core of the military campaigns of ancient Rome is the account of the Roman military's land battles, from the conquest of Italy to its fights against the Huns and invading Germanic peoples. Naval battles were largely less important, although there are notable exceptions during, for instance, the First Punic War and others.
- The Roman army battled first against its tribal neighbours and Etruscan towns within Italy, and later came to dominate much of the land surrounding the Mediterranean Sea, including the provinces of Britannia and Asia Minor at the Empire's height.
- From sticks and stones to ballistae and quinqueremes.
- From subjects of the state to subjects of the general.
Outline · Timeline
Epochs Constitution Government Magistrates Law Military Economy Technology Culture Society Language
Writers Lists Major cities
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ancient Rome — For the modern day city, see Rome. For Other uses, see Ancient Rome (disambiguation). The Roman Forum, the political, economic, cultural, and religious center of the city during the Republic and later Empire, now lies in ruins in modern day Rome … Wikipedia
Military history — This article is about the field of study. For television channel of the same name, see Military History (TV channel). Warfare Military history Eras … Wikipedia
Military history of Italy — The military history of Italy chronicles a vast time period, lasting from the overthrow of Tarquinius Superbus in 509 BC, through the Roman Empire, Italian unification, and into the modern day. The Italian peninsula has been a centre of military… … Wikipedia
Military history of Romania — Romanian troops taking Grivica Strongpoint during the Russo Turkish War of 1877–1878 The military history of Romania deals with conflicts spreading over a period of about 2500 years across the territory of modern Romania, the Balkan Peninsula and … Wikipedia
Military of ancient Rome — This article is part of the series on: Military of ancient Rome (portal) 753 BC – AD 476 Structural history Roman army (unit types and ranks … Wikipedia
ancient Rome — ▪ ancient state, Europe, Africa, and Asia Introduction the state centred on the city of Rome. This article discusses the period from the founding of the city and the regal period, which began in 753 BC, through the events leading to the… … Universalium
Military history of the Netherlands — History of the Netherlands This article is part of a series Early History … Wikipedia
Military history of Spain — History of Spain This article is part of a series Early History … Wikipedia
Military history of Germany — History of Germany This article is part of a series … Wikipedia
Military history of France during World War II — History of France … Wikipedia