- Delfin Carbonell Basset
Carbonell Basset was born in Spain in 1949. He was educated in the US, in Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pa. and later joined the faculty of Franklin & Marshall College in Pennsylvania. According to articles written about him in the Spanish newspaper La Razón, by José María Carrascal, he compiles dictionaries on his own, with no teams of experts. He is the creator of the Unialphabet system for bilingual dictionaries, where they are not divided into two languages. This was first used in his Spanish and English Dictionary of Idioms and in The new Dictionary of Current Sayings and Proverbs, Spanish and English, foreworded by John Simpson, of the University of Oxford.
For over twenty years, Carbonell Basset was the Director of the Marshall Institute of Languages in Madrid, Spain.
- A Phraseological Dictionary, English and Spanish (Ediciones del Serbal, 1995)
- Dictionary of Proverbs, English and Spanish, (Ediciones del Serbal, 1996 and Barron’s Educational Series, 1998, N.Y. Special Award for Bilingual Lexicography, Universidad de Extremadura, Spain)
- A Spanish and English Dictionary of Slang And Unconventional Language, with a foreword by Camilo José Cela (Ediciones del Serbal, 1997)
- Gran diccionario de argot: El sohez, de autoridades del español cotidiano, popular,. coloquial... Prólogo de Luis María Anson, de la Real Academia Española. (Larousse, 2000; McGraw-Hill, Chicago, November, 2002.)
- Diccionario panhispánico de refranes de autoridades, with a foreword by Alonso Zamora Vicente, de la Real Academia Española, (Editorial Herder, November, 2002.)
- A Spanish and English Dictionary of Idioms, Foreword by Edward Gates (Serbal, June, 2004).
- The New Dictionary of Current Sayings and Proverbs, Spanish and English Foreword by John Simpson, Editor in Chief, OED (Serbal, 2005)
- Diccionario de clichés (Foreword by José Jiménez Lozano, Premio Cervantes 2002, Ed. Del Serbal, 2006.)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Delfín Carbonell Basset — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Delfín Carbonell Basset, nacido en 1938, es un lexicográfo y filólogo español. Ha compilado en forma personal diversos diccionarios temáticos sobre la lengua española, y ha propuesto un sistema unialfabético para… … Wikipedia Español
Unialphabet — The Unialphabet system of classification for bilingual wordbooks, created by the Spanish lexicographer Delfin Carbonell Basset, blends both languages into one single body of facts rather than employing the traditional two part method. This way,… … Wikipedia
Lexicographer — A lexicographer is a person devoted to the study of lexicography, especially an author of a dictionary. Samuel Johnson, himself a lexicographer, defined a lexicographer as a writer of dictionaries; a harmless drudge that busies himself in tracing … Wikipedia
List of lexicographers — The following are lexicographers:compactTOC NOTOC A *Adam Jack Aitken (Scottish) *Thomas B. Albright (World kin to English) *Sue Atkins B *Francis Bacon *Yousef Al Bader *Johannes Balbus *Katherine Barber *Grant Barrett *Henning Bergenholtz… … Wikipedia
List of Duquesne University people — This is a list of notable persons affiliated with Duquesne University, including alumni, current and former faculty members, and students.Notable alumniMedia*Tom Atkins [cite web | title =Tom Atkins | publisher =NNDB | url… … Wikipedia