- Overlook, Portland, Oregon
Overlook, Portland, Oregon Neighborhood representation Association Overlook Neighborhood Association Coalition North Portland Neighborhood Services Neighborhood geography Area 8.58 km² (PDF map) Location Interactive map Coordinates Coordinates: Demographics (2000) Population 6093 (density 710/km²) Households 2462 (95% occupied) Owned 1646 (67%) Rented 816 (33%) Size 2.47 persons (average)
Overlook is a neighborhood in the North section of Portland, Oregon on the east shore of the Willamette River. It borders University Park and Arbor Lodge on the north, Humboldt and Boise on the east, Eliot on the southeast, and Northwest Industrial and the Northwest District across the Willamette on the west.
The neighborhood includes Swan Island, originally an island in the Willamette, but connected to the east bank by landfill in the 1920s. Swan Island was the site of Portland's first airport, Swan Island Airport, dedicated by Charles Lindbergh in 1927 and operating until the early 1940s when the island was converted to naval shipbuilding use for World War II as one of the Kaiser Shipyards. Swan Island is now an industrial area.
This neighborhood is also occasionally referred to as Mocks Crest
- E. Henry Wemme, a Portland businessman credited with contributing to the development of the neighborhood.
- ^ Historic Overlook House - Portland's Timeless Treasure
- ^ Bui, Hien; Michelle Kain. "Little Swan Island Unable to Meet Big Changes". Archived from the original on 2007-05-07. http://web.archive.org/web/20070507032650/http://www.ccrh.org/comm/slough/airport2.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-12.
- ^ Freeman, Paul (9/3/2005). "(Original) Portland Municipal Airport / Swan Island Airport, Portland, OR". Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/OR/Airfields_OR_NW.htm#swan. Retrieved 2007-01-12.
- Guide to Overlook Neighborhood (PortlandNeighborhood.com)
- Overlook Neighborhood Association
- Overlook House
- Swan Island Transportation Management Association
- Swan Island in the Oregon Encyclopedia
- Historic image of Swan Island Airport from the City of Portland
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Portland, Oregon — Portland City City of Portland Portland s skyline from the west, with Mount Hood on the left … Wikipedia
Portland, Oregon neighborhoods — There are 95 officially recognized Portland, Oregon neighborhoods. Each is represented by a volunteer based neighborhood association which serves as a liaison between residents of the neighborhood and the city government, as coordinated by the… … Wikipedia
Cully, Portland, Oregon — Neighborhood representation Association … Wikipedia
Maplewood, Portland, Oregon — Neighborhood representation Association Maplewood Neighborhood Association Coalition … Wikipedia
Multnomah, Portland, Oregon — Neighborhood representation Association Multnomah Neighborhood Association Coalition … Wikipedia
Concordia, Portland, Oregon — The Kennedy School restaurant and hotel in the Concordia neighborhood Neighborhood representation … Wikipedia
Markham, Portland, Oregon — Neighborhood representation Association Markham Neighborhood Association Coalition Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc … Wikipedia
Crestwood, Portland, Oregon — Neighborhood representation Association Crestwood Neighborhood Association Coalition … Wikipedia
Montavilla, Portland, Oregon — Neighborhood representation Association Montavilla Neighborhood Association Coalition … Wikipedia
Neighborhoods of Portland, Oregon — The sections of Portland. There are 95 officially recognized Portland, Oregon neighborhoods. Each Portland neighborhood is represented by a volunteer based neighborhood association which serves as a liaison between residents of the neighborhood… … Wikipedia