- Wedding anniversary
In the Commonwealth realms, one can receive a message from the monarch for 60th, 65th, and 70th wedding anniversaries, and any wedding anniversary after that. This is done by applying to Buckingham Palace in the United Kingdom, or to the Governor-General's office in the other Commonwealth realms.
In Canada, one can also receive a message from the Governor General for the 50th anniversary, and every 5th anniversary after that.
The situation is similar in Australia, where one can receive a letter of congratulations from the Governor-General on the 50th and all subsequent wedding anniversaries; the Prime Minister, the federal Opposition leader, local members of parliament (both state and federal), and state Governors may also send salutations for the same anniversaries.
In the United States, one can receive a greeting from the President for any wedding anniversary on or after the 50th.
Roman Catholics may apply for a Papal blessing through their local diocese for wedding anniversaries of a special nature (25th, 50th, 60th, etc.).
Celebration and gifts
The names of some anniversaries provide guidance for appropriate or traditional gifts for the spouses to give each other; if there is a party these can be brought by the guests or influence the theme or decoration. These gifts vary in different countries, but some years have well-established connections now common to most nations: 5th Wooden, 10th Tin, 15th Crystal, 20th China, 25th Silver, 30th Pearl, 40th Ruby, 50th Golden, 60th Diamond. The tradition may have originated in medieval Germany where, if a married couple lived to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their wedding, the wife was presented by her friends and neighbours with a silver wreath to congratulate them for the good fortune that had prolonged the lives of the couple for so many years. On celebration of the 50th, the wife received a wreath of gold. Over time the number of symbols expanded and the German tradition came to assign gifts that had direct connections with each stage of married life. The symbols have changed over time. For example in the United Kingdom, diamond was a well known symbol for the 75th anniversary, but this changed to the now more common 60th anniversary after Queen Victoria's 60 years on the throne was widely marked as her Diamond Jubilee.
Traditional and modern anniversary gifts
Lists of wedding anniversary gifts vary by country. The traditional and modern U.S. versions were compiled by librarians at the Chicago Public Library. The origins of what is listed here as the "modern" US gift conventions date to 1937. Before that, only the 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, 50th, and 75th anniversaries had an associated gift. In 1937, the American National Retail Jeweler Association (now known as Jewelers of America as a result of an organizational merger) introduced an expanded list of gifts. The revamped list gave a gift for each year up to the 20th, and then for every five-year anniversary after that. 
Year Traditional (U.S.) Traditional (UK) Modern (U.S.) 1st Paper Cotton Clocks 2nd Cotton Paper China 3rd Leather Crystal, glass 4th Linen, silk Fruit and flowers Appliances 5th Wood Silverware 6th Iron Sugar Wood objects 7th Wool, copper Woollen Desk sets 8th Bronze Salt Linens, lace 9th Pottery Copper Leather goods 10th Tin/Aluminium Diamond 11th Steel Steel Fashion jewelry 12th Silk Silk and fine linen Pearls, colored gems 13th Lace Lace Textiles, furs 14th Ivory Ivory Gold jewelry 15th Crystal Watches 16th Silver holloware 17th Furniture 18th Porcelain 19th Bronze 20th China Platinum 21st Brass, nickel 22nd Copper 23rd Silver plate 24th Musical instruments 25th Silver 26th Original pictures 27th Sculpture 28th Orchids 29th New furniture 30th Pearl Diamond 31st Timepieces 32nd Conveyances
33rd Amethyst 34th Opal 35th Coral, jade Coral Jade 36th Bone china 37th Alabaster 38th Beryl, tourmaline 39th Lace 40th Ruby 41st Land 42nd Improved real estate 43rd Travel 44th Groceries 45th Sapphire 46th Original poetry tribute 47th Books 48th Optical goods
(e.g., telescope, microscope)
49th Luxuries, any kind 50th Gold 55th Emerald Emerald 60th Diamond 65th Blue sapphire 70th Platinum 75th Diamond, gold Diamond, gold 80th Oak Diamond, pearl 85th Wine Diamond, sapphire 90th Stone Diamond, emerald 95th Diamond, ruby 100th Sky diving!
Year Flower 1st Carnation 2nd Lily of the valley 3rd Sunflower 4th Hydrangea 5th Daisy 6th Calla 7th Freesia 8th Lilac 9th Bird of paradise 10th Daffodil 11th Tulip 12th Peony 13th Chrysanthemum 14th Dahlia 15th Rose 20th Aster 25th Iris 28th Orchid 30th Lily 40th Gladiolus 50th Yellow rose, violet
- ^ "Who is entitled?". The Monarchy Today. http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/Queenandanniversarymessages/Whoisentitled.aspx. Retrieved 6 April 2009.
- ^ "Queen and anniversary messages". The Monarchy Today. http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/Queenandanniversarymessages/Anniversarymessages.aspx. Retrieved 6 April 2009.
- ^ "Invite the Governor General" (Requires access). The Governor General of Canada. http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=233. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- ^ "It's an Honour - Anniversary Messages". Australian Government. 25 January 2008. http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/anniversary/index.cfm#what. Retrieved 11 February 2008.
- ^ "White House Greeting". About.com. The New York Times Company. http://marriage.about.com/od/postcards/qt/annivergreeting.htm. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- ^ "To Request a Papal Blessing". The Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson, Office of the Bishop. http://www.diocesetucson.org/officeofbishop2.html. Retrieved 28 January 2008.
- ^ "Wedding Anniversaries," compiled by librarians at the Chicago Public Library's Information Center (December 2000)
- ^ Anderson, Charles "The Exchange," RQ 25 (1985): 175
- ^ The World Almanac and Book of Facts, Mahwah, New Jersey: World Almanac Books, 1997.
- ^ World Book Encyclopedia, 1997 ed., s.v. "Wedding Anniversary"
- ^ Lee, Cookie (October 2001). Wedding Anniversaries: from Paper to Diamond. Ryland Peters & Small
- ^ Pears Cyclopaedia, 1978-79 edition, "Wedding Anniversaries." L128
- ^ "Traditional Wedding Anniversary Gifts (UK)". anniversarygifts.co.uk. 2011. http://www.anniversarygifts.co.uk/list.html. Retrieved 2 September 2011. "from Pears Cyclopaedia 1978-79 edition"
- ^ "The platinum wedding anniversary of Jim and Gladys Till". Lancaster Guardian. 8 January 2008. http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/local_2_8584/the_platinum_wedding_anniversary_of_jim_and_gladys_till_1_1171352. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- ^ "Tenor and wife toast 70 years of marriage". North-West Evening Mail. 15 August 2008. http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/1.223036. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- ^ Travis, Jeff (29 July 2008). "They've been around the world in 70 years". The News (Portsmouth). http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/they_ve_been_around_the_world_in_70_years_1_1299018. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- ^ Miller, Vikki (24 May 2008). "Britain's longest married couple celebrate a quiet 80th anniversary". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2020233/Britain%27s-longest-married-couple-celebrate-a-quiet-80th-anniversary.html.
- ^ "Facts and figures". Queen and anniversary messages. The Royal Household. 2011. http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/Queenandanniversarymessages/Factsandfigures.aspx. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
Weddings Pre-wedding Locations Clothing Objects Participants TraditionsWedding reception · Ahesta Boro · Banns of marriage · Bridal Chorus · First dance · Handfasting · Hesitation step · Indian Wedding Blessing · Jumping the broom · Money dance · Music · Polterabend · Pounded rice ritual · Pyebaek · Trash the dress · Unity candle · Walima · Wedding March · Wedding photography Food and drink Religion and culture Nationality Honeymoon Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
wedding anniversary — noun the anniversary of the day on which you were married (or the celebration of it) • Hypernyms: ↑anniversary, ↑day of remembrance • Hyponyms: ↑silver wedding anniversary, ↑golden wedding anniversary, ↑diamond wedding anniversary, ↑ … Useful english dictionary
wedding anniversary — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms wedding anniversary : singular wedding anniversary plural wedding anniversaries a celebration of a number of years since two people were married … English dictionary
wedding anniversary — the annual commemoration of a couple s marriage: a tenth wedding anniversary. [1690 1700] * * * … Universalium
wedding anniversary — n. a diamond; golden; silver wedding anniversary * * * golden silver a diamond … Combinatory dictionary
wedding anniversary — wedding anni,versary noun count a celebration of a number of years since two people were married … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
wedding anniversary — yearly return of the date of a couple s marriage day … English contemporary dictionary
silver wedding anniversary — noun the 25th wedding anniversary • Hypernyms: ↑wedding anniversary * * * ˌsilver ˈwedding [silver wedding] (BrE) ( … Useful english dictionary
ruby wedding anniversary — ˌruby ˈwedding [ruby wedding] (BrE) (US ˌruby anniˈversary) (also ˌruby ˈweddi … Useful english dictionary
diamond wedding anniversary — noun the 60th wedding anniversary • Syn: ↑diamond wedding • Hypernyms: ↑wedding anniversary … Useful english dictionary
golden wedding anniversary — noun the 50th wedding anniversary • Hypernyms: ↑wedding anniversary … Useful english dictionary