- Aloysius Bellecius
Aloysius Bellecius (
15 February, 1704, Freiburg im Breisgau— 27 April, 1757, Augsburg) was a Jesuitascetic author. [ [http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02414a.htm Aloysius Bellecius] - Catholic Encyclopediaarticle]
Bellecius joined the Jesuits in 1719. During his life as a Jesuit, Bellecius worked in a variety of positions: For some time, he trained missionaries going to India. Later, Bellecius himself spent four years in the Jesuit mission at
Marañón( Peru). After his return from Peru, Bellecius became director of the Jesuit's seminary at Porrentruy(German: Pruntrut) in the diocese of Basel. In 1750, he became professor of theology at the university of his native town Freiburg. In 1752 he became a teacher in the Jesuit's school at Ebersberg. In 1755, Bellecius went to Augsburg where he worked as a parish priestin Augsburg until his death in 1757.
All of Bellecius' works were only published in the final years of his life. He is best known for his "Spiritual Exercise According to the Method of St. Ignatius", which first appeared in 1757. This and other works were translated in many European languages including English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Polish. The list below only gives the publication data for the Latin originals and for English translations.
* "Christianus pie moriens seu adjumenta procurandae bonae mortis". Friburgi Brisgojae 1749.
* "Virtutis solidae praecipua impedimenta, subsidia et incitamenta", Ratisbonae 1755.
** English: "Solid Virtue". London 1880; Cincinnati 1882.
* "Triduum sacrum". Augustae Vindilicorum et Oenoponti 1757 (an abbreiviated version of the previous entry).
* "Medulla asceseos seu exercitia S.P. Ignatii de Loyola". Augustae Vindilicorum et Oenoponti 1757.
** English: "Spiritual Exercisise according to the Method of St. Ignatius". Dublin 1876; London 1883.
* Article "Bellecius". In: "Bibliothèque de la Compagnie de Jésus". P 1: Bibliographie. T. 1. Bruxelles, Paris 1890. Cols. 1260-1265
* [http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02414a.htm Catholic Encyclopedia Article]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Aloysius Bellecius — Aloysius Bellecius † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Aloysius Bellecius Jesuit ascetic author, born at Freiburg im Breisgau, 15 February, 1704; died at Augsburg, 27 April, 1757. He taught philosophy one year and theology seven, and spent four … Catholic encyclopedia
Bellecius, Aloysius — • Jesuit ascetic author, born at Freiburg im Breisgau, 15 February, 1704; died at Augsburg, 27 April, 1757 Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006 … Catholic encyclopedia