- Ultrasound-enhanced systemic thrombolysis
Ultrasound-Enhanced Systemic Thrombolysis is a medical technology that utilizes transcranial doppler ultrasonography to treat stroke-causing blood clots. It is thought that transcranial doppler ultrasonography aimed at residual obstructive intracranial blood flow may help expose thrombi to
tissue plasminogen activatoror other thrombolytic drugs.
Studies have shown that complete recanalisation or dramatic clinical recovery can be increased by more than 19% when using transcranial doppler ultrasonography.
* [http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/351/21/2170/ Ultrasound-Enhanced Systemic Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke]
* [http://www.thedoctorslounge.net/neurology/articles/ultrasound_stroke/index.htm Ultrasound-Enhanced Systemic Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke] [http://www.thedoctorslounge.net thedoctorslounge.net]
* [http://www.druginfozone.nhs.uk/Record%20Viewing/viewRecord.aspx?id=541186/ Ultrasound-enhanced systemic thrombolysis for acute ischaemic stroke] [http://www.druginfozone.nhs.uk druginfozone.nhs.uk]
* [http://jon.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/108/ CLOTBUST: Design of a Randomized Trial of Ultrasound-Enhanced Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke] [http://jon.sagepub.com sagepub.com]
* [http://126.96.36.199/trials/TrialDetail.aspx?tid=452 Combined Lysis of Thrombus in Brain Ischemia with Transcranial Ultrasound and Systemic TPA] [http://188.8.131.52/ Internet Stroke Center]
Tissue plasminogen activator
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ultrasound — Not to be confused with Supersonic .Ultrasound is cyclic sound pressure with a frequency greater than the upper limit of human hearing. Although this limit varies from person to person, it is approximately 20 kilohertz (20,000 hertz) in healthy,… … Wikipedia
Tissue plasminogen activator — (abbreviated tPA or PLAT) is a protein involved in the breakdown of blood clots. Specifically, it is a serine protease (EC number|184.108.40.206) found on endothelial cells, the cells that line the blood vessels. As an enzyme, it catalyzes the… … Wikipedia