- Louis (name)
Louis (pronEng|ˈluːi in French or IPA|/ˈluːɪs/ in English) is the French and English form of the German name Ludwig [cite web|url=http://www.behindthename.com/name/louis|title=Louis at www.behindthename.com] ; another English variant is spelt Lewis. The German name is composed of the words for "fame" ("hlud") and "warrior" ("wig") which may be translated to "famous warrior" or "famous in battle". [cite web|url=http://www.behindthename.com/name/ludwig|title=Ludwig at www.behindthename.com]
Louis was the name of 17 kings of France, including Louis IX (Saint Louis) who led two crusades, and Louis XIV (the "Sun King") who was the ruler of France during the height of its power, the builder of the Palace of Versailles, and the longest reigning monarch in the history of Europe. Rendered fashionable by the Carolingians’ (Dauzat) in 751 -987 AD.
Middle Agesthis was the hereditary given nameof French nobleswho claimed descent from Clovis (another version of the same name), the first king of the Franks. One such family were the Bourbons, who provided kings of France from 1589to 1789. In English speaking countries the anglicized version "Lewis" is sometimes used.
* Basque - Aloxi, Koldobika, Luki
* Catalan - Lluís
** Catalan Femenine - Lluïsa
* Czech - Ludvík
* Dutch - Lodewijk, Lodewijkus
* German - Ludwig
* Hungarian - Lajos
* Latin - Ludovicus, Aloysius
* Polish - Ludwik
**Polish Feminine - Ludwika, Luiza
* Portuguese - Luís ("Luiz" is an archaic form)
** Portuguese Feminine - Luísa ("Luiza" is an archaic form)
* Spanish - Luis ( [lu'is] or ['lwis] )
** Spanish Feminine - Luisa
** Swedish Feminine - Lova
** Norwegian - Ludvig, Ludvig
* Welsh - Llewelyn or Llewellyn Definition - In the likeness of a lion.
French variant spelling
* Louis - Definition - War famous and/or famed warrior
* Louÿs -
* Loïc - Very frequent Breton form
* Loual - A name invented by combining Louis and Albert.
* Loewy - A variant form of Loeb
* Lourent - A variant form of Loanda, or Luanda name invented by combining Lou
* Clovis - From the Germanic Chlodwig, a variant of Hlodwig
* Louise - French feminine form of
* Louvenia - A name invented by combining the masculine Louis and a form of Lavinia.
* Louelle or Luelle - meaning origin uncertain
* Loudelle - A hybrid name crated by combining Lou (Louise) with Elle or Delle.
* Lovise or Lovis - A Scandinavian-inspired variety.
* Louison as a surname or nickname for people named Louis and Louise, cf.
Louison Bobet(man), Louison Moreau(woman)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
LOUIS° — LOUIS°, name of 18 kings of France. Of particular importance in Jewish history are the following: LOUIS I (the Pious; 778–840), king of Aquitaine (from the age of three), emperor of the West from 814. Of the Carolingian emperors, Louis was the… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Louis Trichardt — Town Aerial view of Louis Trichardt … Wikipedia
Louis Farrakhan — Muhammad, Sr. Head of the Nation of Islam Incumbent Assumed office 1978/1981 Preceded by … Wikipedia
Louis XIV of France — Louis XIV and Louis Quatorze redirect here. For other uses, see Louis XIV (disambiguation) and Louis Quatorze (disambiguation). Sun King and Le Roi Soleil redirect here. For the Beatles song, see Sun King (song). For the French musical, see Le… … Wikipedia
Louis XVI of France — Louis XVI Louis XVI by Antoine François Callet King of France and Navarre Reign … Wikipedia
Louis Brandeis — Louis Dembitz Brandeis Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court In office June 1, 1916 – February 13, 1939 … Wikipedia
Louis L'Amour — (March 22, 1908 ndash; June 10, 1988) was an American author. L Amour s books, primarily Western fiction (though he called his work Frontier Stories ), remain enormously popular, and most have gone through multiple printings. At the time of his… … Wikipedia
Louis Agassiz — Born May 28, 1807(1807 05 28) Haut Vully, Switzerland … Wikipedia
Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou — Louis Alphonse de Bourbon Duke of Anjou Pretender Born 25 April 1974 (1974 04 25) … Wikipedia
Louis Desaix — Louis Charles Antoine Desaix, painted by Andrea Appiani. Louis Charles Antoine Desaix (17 August 1768 – 14 June 1800) was a French general and military leader. According to the usage of the time, he took the name Louis Charles Antoine Desaix de… … Wikipedia