Sóller is a town and
municipalitynear the northwest coast of Majorca, in the Balearic Islandsof Spain. As of 2004, the present-day economy is based mainly on tourism, complementary to an agriculture based on massive orchards of citrusand olivetrees, which has, in recent years, suffered from low prices. Sóller is also known for the houses built in the early twentieth century by emigrants who returned wealthy to the town.
1980, Sóller has hosted a week-long international folklore festival every July.
The town proper is some 3 km inland, from the "
Port de Sóller", in a large, bowl-shaped valley that also includes the village of Fornalutx and the hamlet of Biniaraix. The combined population is around 13,000. A tramway links Sóller to Port de Sóller.
The Torre Picada (watchtower) and the castle in the port were constructed in the 16th century to defend against the "Corsairs" or
Barbary pirates. Part of the town was also fortified, but all that remains of this is a piece of the wall near the parish church.
Sóller is linked by rail (
Ferrocarril de Sóller), and by a highway with a toll tunnel, to the Majorcan capital of Palma. The Andratx- Pollençahighway also runs through the valley.
* [http://www.sollernet.com/indexen.html English-language home page of sollernet.com]
* [http://www.sollernet.com/samostra/ Sa Mostra - International Folklore Festival]
* [http://www.saveu.cat Veu de Sóller (local weekly newspaper), in Catalan]
* [http://www.diaridebalears.com/soller/ Setmanari Sóller (local newspaper), in Catalan.]
* [http://www.sollernet.com/trendesoller/en1.html Ferrocarril de Sóller (Sóller train), in English]
* [http://www.jardibotanicdesoller.org/ Jardín Botánico (botanical garden), in Catalan and Spanish]
* [http://www.museucienciesnaturals.org Museu de Ciencias Naturales]
* [http://www.mallorcaweb.net/xerdesoller/ Xeremiers de Sóller (local traditional musical group), in Catalan]
* [http://a-soller.tiscalibiz.com/turisme/e_index.html Ayuntamiento de Sóller (Townhall of Sóller), in English]
* [http://www.aroundmallorca.com/soller.php Tourist Information and map of Soller]
* [http://www.soller-mallorca.com/en/ Property Information for Tourists interested in Property in Soller]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.