- CH2M HILL
CH2M Hill Companies Ltd. Type Employee Owned Corporation Industry Engineering, procurement, construction, and operations Founded Corvallis, Oregon (1946)
(as Cornell, Howland, Hayes and Merryfield)
Headquarters Meridian, Colorado, United States Key people Lee McIntire, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Revenue $6.3 Billion US$ (2010) Employees 23,500(2009) Website www.ch2mhill.com
CH2M Hill is an American-based global provider of engineering, construction, and operations services for corporations, nonprofits, and federal, state, and local governments. The firm is headquartered in Meridian, an unincorporated area of Douglas County, Colorado in the Denver-Aurora Metropolitan Area. The postal designation of nearby Englewood is commonly listed as the company's location in corporate filings and local news accounts. As of December 2010 CH2M Hill had 23,000 employees, and 2010 revenues totaled approximately $6.3 billion. The firm is employee-owned, with an internal stock market that operates buy/sell events quarterly.
CH2M Hill was founded in 1946 in Corvallis, Oregon by Oregon State University civil engineering professor Fred Merryfield and three of his students: Holly Cornell, Jim Howland and T. Burke Hayes (the firm was named after the founders, with Howland and Hayes making up the H2 portion). Cornell, Howland, and Hayes were all graduates of Oregon State University. The Hill name was added after a 1971 merger with Clair A. Hill and Associates of Redding, California. The firm remained headquartered in Oregon until 1980, when a decision was made to relocate to Colorado, a more central location in the United States.
Other key acquisitions include Black, Crow & Eidsness (a southeast U.S. engineering firm) in 1977, Gore & Storrie (a Canadian water and wastewater engineering firm) in 1995, Gee & Jensen (a Florida-based Ports and Harbor firm) in 2002, DeMil International (a U.S.-based weapons destruction firm) in 2002, EHS Consultants Ltd (a Hong Kong-based consulting firm), Lockwood Greene, the oldest continuously operating professional services firm in the United States in 2003, and BBS Corporation (an Ohio-based environmental engineering firm) in 2005. On September 7, 2007, CH2M Hill finalized the purchase of most of the components of VECO, an Alaska-based firm specializing in services to the oil, gas, and energy sector that had become embroiled in the Alaska political corruption probe. In December 2007, CH2M Hill acquired Trigon EPC. In March 2008, CH2M Hill acquired Texas-based Goldston Engineering, a company specializing in marine and coastal transportation engineering services. In September 2011, CH2M Hill announced that it intended to acquire the share capital of Halcrow Group Limited, a UK-based engineering consultancy that operates worldwide. The acqusition for £124m was completed on 10th November 2011.
CH2M Hill offers full-service capabilities in multiple business units, among three key operating divisions, Facilities and Infrastructure; Energy and Water; and Government, Environment, and Nuclear . Business groups served include: Water; Transportation; Operations and Maintenance; Government Facilities and Infrastructure; Nuclear; Environmental; Energy and Chemicals; Power; and Industrial and Advanced Technology.
CH2M Hill developed, maintains and publishes its own method for managing projects for clients, called the CH2M Hill Project Delivery System, which may be found at popular internet book retailers. As a firm specializing in project management, CH2M Hill has been associated in several large, complex projects around the world. In 2005, a CH2M Hill joint-venture known as Kaiser-Hill decommissioned and closed a former nuclear weapons facility at the Rocky Flats site in Colorado.
In Singapore, a joint venture is helping to replace an entire nation's sanitary services infrastructure. The new Singapore Deep Tunnel System will surpass the existing infrastructure in reliability, ease, and economy of operation, and will be critical in handling Singapore's burgeoning waterfront renaissance. CH2M Hill assisted in reconstruction efforts along the US Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Its main assignments included providing temporary housing, debris removal, and other services.
Starting in 2006, CH2M Hill subsidiary CH2M Hill OMI won contracts to manage all municipal services (except police and fire) for newly incorporated Georgia cities: Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Chattahoochee Hill Country and Milton. CH2M Hill OMI won the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the nation's highest award for quality, in 2000.
Other large projects include a $660 Million gas-fired power plant in Australia, in conjunction with General Electric, and an $11.7 billion project to relocate American military bases in Korea. In August 2007, the Panama Canal Authority selected CH2M Hill to manage the $5.25 billion Panama Canal expansion project, which will add new locks to the Pacific and Atlantic ends of the canal and allow Post Panamax ships passage through the canal for the first time. In 2009, a CH2M Hill consortium was named program partner to oversee construction of the Crossrail project to expand London’s transit system.
On August 30, 2006, as part of joint venture CLM, CH2M Hill was named Delivery Partner for the London 2012 Olympics. The other two members of the venture are project management service provider Mace Group and Laing O'Rourke, the largest privately owned construction firm in the UK.
Not only the company manages projects for the clients, but also handles the projects considering the Environmental footprint with sustainable solutions. The firm continues to reduce its internal environmental footprint.
In 2008, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) contracted a CH2M Hill company, CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation Company, LLC (CHPRC), to manage deconstruction and remediation of the Central Plateau on the Hanford Nuclear Site in eastern Washington, one of the world’s largest environmental cleanup projects. The project focuses on shrinking the environmental footprint of the Hanford Site from a 586-square-mile (1,520 km2) area (large enough to fit the city of Los Angeles) to 75 square miles (190 km2) or less. More importantly, the project will reduce legacy infrastructure costs on site by more than $25 million per year starting in 2015.
Boosted by American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding, CHPRC sped up cleanup of the site over the past two years, reducing the site footprint 25 percent, employing an additional 1,350 people in the process. When ARRA funded work concludes in September 2012, the site footprint is targeted to shrink to a total of 290 square miles (750 km2), roughly half its previous size. Without ARRA funding, however, the scope of DOE contracted work at Hanford will be reduced. The company has announced that its workforce will reduce by up to 1,350 workers later this year through a combination of voluntary and involuntary separations.
Awards and honors
The firm was named by Fortune magazine as one of the top 100 companies to work for in 2011, marking the company's fifth time on the list. In October 2009, the company's Canadian division, CH2M Hill Canada Ltd., was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was featured in Maclean's newsmagazine. Later that month, CH2M Hill Canada Ltd. was also named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers, which was announced by the Toronto Star newspaper.
In 2009, CH2M Hill became the first company in the heavily male-dominated engineering and construction industry to receive the Catalyst Award in recognition of its efforts to develop and advance women in the company. The firm also was named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute for three consecutive years (2009, 2010, 2011).
- Top 100 US Federal Contractors
- ^ a b "Employee Ownership". CH2M Hill. http://www.ch2m.com/corporate/about_us/employee_ownership/default.asp. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- ^ a b http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/777491/000104746909001735/a2190674z10-k.htm
- ^ http://www.ch2m.com/corporate/news_room/assets/JustTheFacts_USLetter_FINAL.pdf
- ^ "CH2M Hill – Our History". Ch2m.com. http://www.ch2m.com/corporate/about_us/history.asp. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "Oregon State University". Oregonstate.edu. http://oregonstate.edu/. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ History of CH2M Hill: 1970–1979, CH2M.com
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "CH2M Hill Companies Ltd – 10-K – For 12/31/04". SEC Info. http://www.secinfo.com/dVut2.z4ch.htm. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "CH2M Hill buys blast chamber company, technology". August 23, 2002. http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2002/08/19/daily47.html.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "CH2M HILL Lockwood Greene". Ch2m.com. http://www.ch2m.com/corporate/clients/lg.asp. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ Brian E.Sturtevant. "BBS Corporation Joins CH2M HILL". Caprep.com. http://www.caprep.com/b1005001.htm. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "CH2M HILL Finalizes Acquisition of VECO – re> DENVER, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/09-07-2007/0004658708&EDATE=. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "CH2M Hill raises energy level : Energy". The Rocky Mountain News. January 17, 2008. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/17/ch2m-hill-raises-energy-level/. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "CH2M HILL Announces Intent to Acquire Halcrow / CH2M HILL". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. September 26, 2011. http://newsroom.ch2mhill.com/pr/ch2m/ch2m-hill-announces-intent-to-216162.aspx. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "Completion of Acquisition of Halcrow / CH2M HILL". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. November 10, 2011. http://newsroom.ch2mhill.com/pr/ch2m/completion-of-acquisition-of-halcrow-218791.aspx. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- ^ "CH2M HILL – Home". Ch2m.com. http://www.ch2m.com/corporate/. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "Project Delivery System : A System and Process for Benchmark Performance: CH2M Hill Project Managers: Books". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0965261603. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "CH2M Hill and PWD Consultants Awarded $123.9 Million Contract for Portion of One of the World's Largest Wastewater Projects". Business Wire. February 21, 2000. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2000_Feb_21/ai_59580733.
- ^ Rowson, Jessica (June 17, 2009). "Singapore sewerage: No space to waste | Features | New Civil Engineer". Nce.co.uk. http://www.nce.co.uk/news/water/singapore-sewerage-no-space-to-waste/5203685.article. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ Dorell, Oren (September 14, 2006). "Company dives in to handle Ga. city's troubles". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-09-14-sandy-private_x.htm. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "CH2M HILL OMI Selected to Start Up New City of Chattahoochee Hill Country,... – re> DENVER, Aug. 13 /PRNewswire/". Colorado, Georgia: Prnewswire.com. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-13-2007/0004644454&EDATE=. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "Dynamic-Korea". Dynamic-Korea. June 10, 2007. http://www.dynamic-korea.com/news/view_news.php?main=KTD&sub=&uid=200700169044&keyword=. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ . http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/mobile/stories/2009/03/30/daily44.html. [dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "Leader in Sustainable Engineering Improves Internal Environmental Performance for Sixth Year / CH2M HILL". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. March 8, 2011. http://newsroom.ch2mhill.com/pr/ch2m/leader-in-sustainable-engineering-193466.aspx. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ "100 Best Companies to Work For 2011: CH2M Hill". CNN. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2011/snapshots/90.html.
- ^ "Reasons for Selection, 2009 Canada's Top 100 Employers Competition". http://www.eluta.ca/top-employer-ch2m-hill-canada.
- ^ "Baxter, CH2M HILL, Gibbons, and KPMG Initiatives Honored With the 2009 Catalyst Award". Catalyst. March 31, 2009. http://www.catalyst.org/press-release/142/catalyst-honors-initiatives-at-baxter-ch2m-hill-gibbons-and-kpmg-with-the-2009-catalyst-award. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- ^ . http://newsroom.ch2mhill.com/pr/ch2m/for-third-year-ch2mhill-named-199094.aspx.
Petroleum industry Petroleum · Primary energy CompaniesMajor petroleum
companiesADNOC · China National Offshore Oil Corporation · CNPC · Iraq National Oil Company · Kuwait Petroleum Corporation · NIOC · Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation · Oil and Natural Gas Corporation · Orlen · Pertamina · Petrobras · Petronas · PDVSA · Qatar Petroleum · Rosneft · Saudi Aramco · SonatrachOther
Data Exploration and
History Provinces and fields Research and
Other Category · Commons
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
VECO Corporation — Infobox Company name = VECO Corporation type = Former PrivateCompany foundation = Wilmington, Delaware (1979) founder = William J. (Bill) Allen location city = Anchorage, Alaska location country = USA location = key people = Now a part of CH2M… … Wikipedia
Ostap "Joe" Bender — (May 1, 1925 December 25, 2008) was an innovative and creative noted American civil engineer. He was recognized with industry and government awards for his bold and imaginative approach to bridge engineering design in the advancement of the art… … Wikipedia
Johns Creek, Georgia — Infobox Settlement |official name = Johns Creek, Georgia image image map caption = Location in Fulton County in the state of Georgia subdivision type = Country subdivision type1 = State subdivision type2 = County subdivision name = United States… … Wikipedia
Tempe Town Lake — Infobox lake lake name = Tempe Town Lake image lake = Pano TempeTownLake.jpg caption lake = Panoramic photo image bathymetry = caption bathymetry = location = Arizona coords = coord|33|25|56|N|111|55|55|W|region:US AZ type:waterbody… … Wikipedia
Лагерь Встреч — Строения лагеря … Википедия
Верхний Лагерь — Строения лагеря … Википедия
U.S. Route 95 — Route information Length … Wikipedia
Edmonds (Amtrak station) — Infobox Station style=Amtrak name=Edmonds image size=275 image caption=The Edmonds Amtrak Station address=210 Railroad Avenue Edmonds, WA 98020 line=Amtrak Services:Sound Transit Services: other= Community Transit platform= parking=Yes; 152… … Wikipedia
Green sturgeon — Taxobox name = Green sturgeon status = NT | status system = IUCN3.1 status ref = IUCN2006|assessors= ] regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Actinopterygii ordo = Acipenseriformes familia = Acipenseridae genus = Acipenser species = A.… … Wikipedia
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology — معهد مصدر للعلوم والتكنولوجيا Established February 25, 2007 Type Private not for profit President … Wikipedia