infobox UK place
country = Scotland
population= 867 (2001 Census)
Dumfries and Galloway
constituency_westminster= Dumfries & Galloway
constituency_scottish_parliament= Dumfries & Galloway
post_town= NEWTON STEWART
postcode_district = DG8
Whithorn ("Taigh Mhàrtainn" in Gaelic) is a former
royal burghin Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, about ten miles south of Wigtown.
The town was the location of the first recorded Christian church in Scotland, "
Candida Casa" the 'White [or 'Shining'] House', built by Saint Ninian(original form Nynia) about 397. A monastery and diocese of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbriawas founded on the site in the 8th century. It was the centre of the revived See of Galloway(or Candida Casa) under the patronage of Fergus, Lord of Gallowayand Bishop Gille Aldanfrom the 12th century. The late medieval cathedral priory is ruinous, much of it having disappeared completely apart from the much-altered aisleless naveand vaults at the former eastern end which once held the shrine of St. Ninian, one of medieval Scotland's major pilgrimagedestinations. A museumin the town contains finds from the site, which has been extensively excavated in recent years. A late medieval gateway with the arms of the King of Scots leads into the site of the priory, which contains the 19th century parish church and a museum of carved stones ( Historic Scotland). The collection of early medieval stones is one of the largest in Scotland, and includes the country's earliest surviving Christian memorial, the 5th century inscribed 'Latinus Stone'. The museum layout and display was revised and greatly improved in 2005.
Whithorn was first known (in Latin) as "Candida Casa". 'Whithorn' is a modern form of the Anglo-Saxon version (actually a literal translation) of this name, "Hwit Ærne", 'white house'. In Gallovidian Gaelic, it was called "Rosnat", or "Futarna", the latter a version of the Anglo-Saxon name (Gaelic has no sound corresponding to English 'wh').
Whithorn's link to the sea was the port known as the Isle of Whithorn (a separate community from Whithorn itself and actually a peninsula). Much used in the Middle Ages by pilgrims arriving by boat. The
thirteenth century St Ninian's Chapel marked the point where pilgrims came ashore (the roofless remains are looked after by Historic Scotland).
1st Centurysettlement of Rispain Camp, about 1 mile west of Whithorn is also in the care of Historic Scotland.
Whithorn was once served by a railway station until the
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Whithorn — Koordinaten 54° 44′ N, 4° 25′ W … Deutsch Wikipedia
Whithorn — WHITHORN, a royal burgh and a parish, in the county of Wigton, 11 miles (S.) from Wigton, and 97½ (S. by W.) from Glasgow; containing, with the village of Isle of Whithorn, 2795 inhabitants, of whom 495 are in Isle of Whithorn, and 1502 in the … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Whithorn — Whithorn, so v.w. Whitehorn … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Whithorn — (spr. ŭitt horn), Dorf im S. von Wigtownshire (Schottland), mit einer auf den Trümmern der Abtei St. Ninian errichteten Kirche und (1901) 1188 Einw. – Hier baute St. Ninian im 4. Jahrh. die erste christliche Kirche in Schottland. Seit dem 12.… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Whithorn — There are two possible sources of this interesting name, the first being that it is of Scottish origin, and is locational from a place called Whithorn near Wigtown in Scotland. The derivation of the placename is from the Olde English pre 7th… … Surnames reference
Whithorn — ▪ Scotland, United Kingdom royal burgh (town) in Dumfries and Galloway region, historic county of Wigtownshire, southwestern Scotland. It lies on the peninsula between Luce and Wigtown bays. One of the oldest Christian centres in Britain,… … Universalium
WHITHORN — a small town in Wigtownshire, 12 m. S. of Wigtown, celebrated as the spot where St. Ninian planted Christianity in Scotland, and founded a church to St. Martin in 397 … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Whithorn Priory — • Founded in Scotland in the twelfth century Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Whithorn Priory Whithorn Priory † … Catholic encyclopedia
Whithorn Priory — is located in Wigtownshire, Galloway. It was founded about the middle of the twelfth century, in the reign of David I, by Fergus, Lord of Galloway, with Gille Aldan, Bishop of Galloway, for Premonstratensian Canons, referred colloquially in… … Wikipedia
Whithorn, Isle Of — WHITHORN, ISLE OF, a sea port village, in the parish of Whithorn, county of Wigton, 2½ miles (S. E.) from the town of Whithorn; containing 495 inhabitants. This place, which is situated at the head of a small bay in the south eastern coast of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland