- Dominicans Don't Play
Dominicans Don't Play Founded 1990 In New York City and New Jersey Territory In New York City, United States, parts of Spain, Dominican Republic Ethnicity Dominicans, Dominican Americans, some Puerto Ricans Criminal activities Drug trafficking, murder, arms trafficking, assault, extortion Allies Latin Kings, Crips, Pinke Ephans Toxic Crew Rivals Trinitarios, United Blood Nation, Ñetas
Dominicans Don't Play (DDP) is a Dominican-American street gang started in Manhattan, New York in the early 1990s. They are known for primarily using machetes and knives as weapons. DDP is located across New York City, particularly in Brooklyn, The Bronx, New Jersey, Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Spain, Dominican Republic and some parts of Puerto Rico.
- 1 Recruiting
- 2 Drug trafficking
- 3 Gang sets
- 4 Notable criminal acts
- 5 Potential for expansion
- 6 In other countries
- 7 Gang rivalries
- 8 See also
- 9 References
While having a number of drug related arrests. Members have drawn the interest of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and some faced deportation hearings. The DDP has also drawn the interest of the US Marshals.
There is apparently an off shoot of the DDP gang known as "Bones". Which was discovered following an attempted murder of a rival gang member.
Dominicans For Life
Another off shoot of the DDP gang is DFL, short for Dominicans For Life. DFL was discovered by the beads almost like DDP only missing the black and also the similar hand sign.
Notable criminal acts
Pelham and Christopher Columbus murder
Coney Island arrests
February 20, 2007 murder
On February 20, 2007 an 18-year old boy was stabbed 21 times in Boston's Back Bay MBTA station by a gang of teenagers as part of their jumping in process. The man subsequently quit the gang, and the DDP code orders that past members must be killed.
Murder of Jose "Ness" Rosario
Murder of Marviel Martinez
On April 13, 2005 fifteen year old Alex Ramirez, a member of the DDP off-shoot Bones, was charged with second-degree murder after witnesses said he slashed 16-year-old Marviel Martinez (rival gang member Trinitario) in the neck and then thrust the blade deep in the teen's back Tuesday morning at the Jerome Avenue IRT 183rd Street station.
Murder of Mark Tyrell
A 16 year old, Mark Tyrell, was stabbed in march 2007 outside of Pizzaria in Union Square. Mark Tyrell has gotten into a fight with members of the DDP which forced him to get transferred to Chelsea.
Union Square, December 2006 murder
A brutal fight amongst almost 50 teenagers in Union Square left one teen dead (Tasihawn Bellevue) and two others injured. Police Commissioner Kelly said it was a "planned confrontation": Some Washington Irving High School female students were "insulted," so they enlisted their boyfriends at Science Skills High School to defend their honor. Taishawn Bellevue was killed during this altercation. Taishawn was an aspiring basketball player known as baby lebron as his myspace page is littered with Lebron James wall papers.
Commissioner Kelly also suggested that the fight was gang-related, as some Washington Irving students are members of DDP - Dominicans Don't Play. Other students who were based at Science Skills students could been members of no gang . An official who spoke to the NY Times, someone whistled to start the fight and the girls' contingent from Science Skills had 15 people "with no plans for a confrontation and found themselves outnumbered." Police reviewed surveillance footage from a nearby store that captured the fight. The around 50 teens involved used belts, pieces of wood, and bats during the altercation. 16-year-old Francisco Baez is charged with murder, gang assault and criminal possession of a weapon. after two people picked him out of a line up. He later confessed to the crime as a result of being identified.
In 2004 several people associated with DDP were arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of a River Edge, New Jersey man after the North Hudson Dominican Day Parade in August 2003. They have had an ongoing feud with other area gangs, including the sets affiliated with the United Blood Nation and the Trinitarios, a group comprised also of Dominican youths. There was a recent arrest of three members of the DDP by the FBI.
On January 1, 2007 3 members of the gang DDP were arrested in New York City. They were wanted for multiple charges relating to a shooting incident at a restaurant in which the three subjects fired several rounds killing one person and critically injuring three. They were arrested in NY with a .38 caliber hand gun. Other incidents include a large brawl in Manhattan's Union Square.
Potential for expansion
They are currently the second largest gang of Dominican descent behind the Trinitario Gang. The group has limited potential for nationwide expansion and is largely confined to areas with significant Dominican populations in particular Washington Heights, Chelsea, Florida, Atlanta, Boston and New Jersey. It is the fastest growing gang in the Bronx, and amongst the largest in New Jersey. They are considered to have the largest concentration of Dominicans of any neighborhood in the United States,combined population of Dominicans residing in New York and New Jersey totals around 1.2 out of an overall US Dominican population of 2.3 million as of 2001.
In other countries
However, on March 7, 2006 Spanish Police in Madrid has noted a growing gang presence of the Latin Kings and DDP. Spanish police report 130 documented DDP members, making them the largest in Spain. DDP is the largest and most violent street gang in Spain. The gang, has become the most prominent gang in Madrid. On November 5, Spanish security forces arrested 40 DDP members, all of them between 16 and 29 years old. The security forces confiscated 5 guns, one grenade, one machete, ammo, 3 baseball bats, 400 grams of cocaine, and 200.000 euros in cash.
- Trinitarios  - DDP's biggest rival gang since formation in the 1990s.
- List of gangs in the United States
- ^ . http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18273181&BRD=1291&PAG=461&dept_id=523590&rfi=6.
- ^ Christian, Nichole M. (August 12, 2001). "Brooklyn Journal; Fatal Accident Tests Neighborhood Trust in Police". The New York Times (The New York Times). http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/12/nyregion/brooklyn-journal-fatal-accident-tests-neighborhood-trust-in-police.html. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ^ a b . http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs27/27506/dtos.htm.
- ^ . http://www.njrcpoa.com/American%20Gang%20Crisis%20Alert.htm.
- ^ . http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:KjFko8raGNwJ:www.co.middlesex.nj.us/prosecutor/pressrelease/GOVERNOR%2520crime%2520plan%25203%2520(3)%2520-%2520Abramowitz%2520-%2520Oct%25208%25202008.htm+dominicans+don%27t+play+bloods&cd=20&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us.
- ^ . http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/080623newark.htm. [dead link]
- ^ . http://www.njgia.org/Communityarticles_archivesMonth.asp?oMonth=7.
- ^ a b . http://www.usmarshals.gov/investigations/catch/2007/01-01-07cow.pdf. [dead link]
- ^ . http://22.214.171.124/search?q=cache:IZJUEQ_m09gJ:www.columbiaspectator.com/news/2003/11/21/NewsmanhattanvilleExpansion/Cb9-Agenda.Includes.W.Harlem.Plans.Rats-2035541.shtml+dominicans+don%27t+play+gang&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=36&gl=us.
- ^ a b c . http://dr1.com/news/2007/dnews050407.shtml.
- ^ a b "Virginia girl found eating herself in cage in mobile home; parents Brian and Shannon Gore charged". Daily News (New York). http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2005/04/14/2005-04-14_boy__15__busted_in_machete_s.html.
- ^ a b . http://www.streetgangs.com/topics/2005/031105nybx.html.
- ^ "2 High School Students Are Stabbed in Apparent Gang Fight". The New York Times. March 12, 2005. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9402E4D8143CF931A25750C0A9639C8B63&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/A/Assaults. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ^ a b . New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2006/06/15/2006-06-15_new_york_minute_van_kills_95yearold.html. [dead link]
- ^ . New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2005/04/14/2005-04-14_boy__15__busted_in_machete_s.html.
- ^ . http://gothamist.com/2007/03/06/teen_stabbed_by.php.
- ^ . New York Sun. http://www.nysun.com/article/49859?page_no=2.
- ^ (– Scholar search). New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/seven/12082006/news/regionalnews/shock_and_fear_in_union_scare_regionalnews_dan_kadison_and_cynthia_r__fagen.htm. [dead link]
- ^ a b c . http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4834376.
- ^ a b c Vasquez, Emily (December 8, 2006). "Trouble Found Them: Two Groups of Restless Teenagers". The New York Times (The New York Times). http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/nyregion/08stab.html. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ^ a b . http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:-kKGHJlKdnsJ:abclocal.go.com/wabc/story%3Fsection%3Dlocal%26id%3D4831483+dominicans+don%27t+play+gang&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=40&gl=us.
- ^ a b . http://188.8.131.52/search?q=cache:yXslKP-RKdcJ:www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/478249p-402323c.html+dominicans+don%27t+play+gang&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=24&gl=us.
- ^ . http://www.myspace.com/taishawn23.
- ^ a b c . New York Sun. http://www.nysun.com/article/49859.
- ^ . The Villager. http://www.thevillager.com/villager_189/policeblotter.html.
- ^ . New York Post. https://www.nypost.com/seven/12092006/news/regionalnews/union_sq__slay_rap_on_boy__16_regionalnews_laura_italiano_and_laura_blue.htm.
- ^ . http://184.108.40.206/search?q=cache:YhAvnPmuKIMJ:www.state.nj.us/njsp/news/pr021804.htm+dominicans+don%27t+play+gang&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=21&gl=us.
- ^ . New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102008/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm.
- ^ . http://www.rockawave.com/news/2008/0620/front_page/001.html.
- ^ . http://www.njcp.us/Article%20about%20emergence%20of%20Trinitarios.pdf.
- ^ . http://chelseanow.com/cn_66/stabbingsparks.html. [dead link]
- ^ . http://www.american.edu/spa//justice/documents/1971.pdf.
- ^ . http://www.knowgangs.com/news/oct07/2801.php.
- ^ . https://secure.nypost.com/seven/10282007/news/regionalnews/gangs_of_new_york.htm?&page=7.
- ^ Schweber, Nate (March 15, 2009). "Hospital Told How to Identify and Handle Gang Members". The New York Times (The New York Times). http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/nyregion/new-jersey/15gangsnj.html. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ^ Logan, US Bureau of the Census 1999 and 2000 Census of Population and Housing
- ^ . http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:lIXbUoegBpUJ:observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1922745,00.html+dominicans+don%27t+play+gang&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=16&gl=us.
- ^ . New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142008/news/regionalnews/schools_gang_scourge_128917.htm.
- ^ . http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/090310_Gang_Busts.
- ^ . http://www.wpix.com/landing/?blockID=235797&feedID=1404. [dead link]
- ^ . New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092008/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm.
- ^ a b . http://gothamist.com/2008/07/13/teen_gang_responsible_for_williamsb.php.
Organized crime groups in New York City Italian American Mafia Irish organized crimeActiveInactive Jewish-American organized crimeInactive Russian MafiaInactive Eastern Europe groups Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs African-American groupsActiveInactive Hispanic groupsDominican gangsPuerto Ricans gangsCentral American gangsMara Salvatrucha · La Raza Nation Chinese American groupsGangs Other historical groupsBatavia Street Gang · Baxter Street Dudes · Boodle Gang · Broadway Mob · Charlton Street Gang · Cherry Hill Gang · Chichesters · Crazy Butch Gang · Daybreak Boys · Dutch Mob · East Harlem Purple Gang · Gas House Gang · Five Points Gang · Honeymoon Gang · Hook Gang · Lenox Avenue Gang · Molasses Gang · Neighbors' Sons · Shirt Tails · Slaughter House Gang · Tenth Avenue Gang · Tub of Blood Bunch
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ñetas — Association Ñeta In Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico Founded by Carlos Torres Irriarte Years active 1970s present Territory Puerto Rico, Over 30 states in the United States Primarily in the East Coast, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Peru and Spain (Europe) … Wikipedia
Trinitario — Founded 1989 In New York City Department of Corrections Territory New York City, Upstate New York, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Hudson County, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Boston, Hartford, Bridgeport, Providence, Miami, Orlando, Tampa … Wikipedia
Dutch Schultz — Not to be confused with a former professional wrestler who used the ring names Dutch Savage and Dutch Schultz. Dutch Schultz Born August 6, 1902 USA Died October 24, 1935 … Wikipedia
Gambino crime family — Gambino Family redirects here. For the hip hop group, see Gambino Family (group). Gambino crime family Carlo Gambino, the boss of the family during 1957–1976. In New York City, New York Founded by … Wikipedia
Norte del Valle Cartel — Years active Late 1990s present Territory Valle del Cauca department of Colombia Ethnicity Colombian Criminal activities Illegal drugs trade The Norte del Valle Cartel, or North Valley Cartel, is a drug cartel that operates principally in the… … Wikipedia
Colombo crime family — Boss Carmine Persico, currently serving life in prison In New York City, USA Founded by Joseph Profaci, named after Joseph Colombo, Sr … Wikipedia
List of Mafia crime families — This is a list of independent crime families around the world that are considered to be part of Cosa Nostra (the Mafia). This list does not include all Camorra, Ndrangheta, Sacra Corona Unita, Stidda or Mala del Brenta clans ( crime… … Wikipedia
Marat Balagula — Born September 8, 1943 Orenburg, USSR Alias(es) The Russian Tony Soprano Allegiance Russian Mafia American Mafia Lucchese crime family Charge(s) … Wikipedia
Mara Salvatrucha — gang member with gang s name tattooed on his back Years active 1980s–present … Wikipedia
Murder, Inc. — For other uses, see Murder, Inc. (disambiguation). Murder, Inc. (or Murder Incorporated or the Brownsville Boys; known in syndicate circles as The Combination) was the name given by the press to organized crime groups in the 1920s through the… … Wikipedia