- Tilt sensor
A tilt sensor is can measure the ing in often two axes of a reference plane in two axes.In contrast, a full motion would use at least three axes and often additional sensors.One way to measure tilt angle with reference to the earths ground plane, is to use an
Accelerometer. Typical applications can be found in the industry and in game controllers. Nintendoused tilt sensor technology in four games for its Game Boyseries of hand-held game systems. The tilt sensor allows players to control aspects of the game by twisting the game system. The three games that use this feature are:
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy" (Game Boy Advance)
* "" (Game Boy Advance)(Japan and North America only)
Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu!" (Game Boy Advance)(Japan only)
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble" ( Game Boy Color)
Tilt sensors can also be found in game controllers such as the
Microsoft SidewinderFreestyle Pro and Sony's PlayStation 3controller.
However, unlike these other controllers in which the tilt sensor serves as a supplement to normal control methods, it serves as one of the central features of Nintendo's
Wii Remoteand nunchuk attachment. Along with accelerometers, the tilt sensors are a primary method of control in most Wiigames.
It is now being used in many different aspects, instead of just games like motocrossing and flight simulators. It can be used for sport gaming, First Person Shooters, and other odd uses such as in ""
Another example is a virtual version of a wooden maze with obstacles in which you have to maneuver a ball by tilting the maze. A homebrew tilt sensor interface was made for the
Tilt sensors are used for:
* indicating pitch and roll of vehicles, sail boats, and aircraft.
* Monitoring boom angle of cranes and material handlers.
* Measuring the "look angle" of a satellite antenna towards a satellite.
* Measuring the slope angle of a tape or chain during distance measurement.
* Estimating the height of a building, tree, or other feature using a vertical angle and a distance (determined by taping or pacing).
* Measuring the angle of drilling in well-logging applications.
* Measuring the height of trees or other poles
* Measuring steepness of a ski slope. (<10 deg for beginners, 10-20 "green", 15-25 "blue", 25-35 "black", 35-45 "double black")
Factors which influence the use of clinometers
(Overall accuracy varies depending on the type of tilt sensor (or inclinometer) and technology utilized)
* temperature (drift), zero offset, linearity, vibration, shock, cross-axis sensitivity, acceleration/deceleration
* A clear line of sight between the user and the measured point is needed.
* A well defined object is required to obtain the maximum precison.
* The angle measurement precision and accuracy is limited to slightly better than one degree of arc .
urvey methods used for
* Tilt sensors are used for the measurement of angles, typically in reference to gravity.
* The USDA Forest Service uses tilt sensors (or clinometers) to measure tree height in its
Forest Inventory and Analysisprogram.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tilt-shift photography — refers to the use of camera movements on small and medium format cameras, often tilting the lens relative to the image plane to achieve a very shallow depth of field. The technique relies on the Scheimpflug principle and usually requires the use… … Wikipedia
Tilt-und-Shift-Objektiv — Nikon Tilt Shift Objektiv Shift Objektiv … Deutsch Wikipedia
Active pixel sensor — An active pixel sensor (APS) is an image sensor consisting of an integrated circuit containing an array of pixel sensors, each pixel containing a photodetector and an active amplifier. There are many types of active pixel sensors including the… … Wikipedia
Special Sensor Microwave/Imager — The Special Sensor Microwave/Imager (SSM/I) is a seven channel, four frequency, linearly polarized passive microwave radiometric system. The instrument measures surface/atmospheric microwave brightness temperatures (TBs) at 19.35, 22.235, 37.0… … Wikipedia
Image sensor — A CCD image sensor on a flexible circuit board … Wikipedia
Sudden Motion Sensor — The Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS) is Apple s patent pending motion based hardware and data protection system used in their notebook computer systems. Apple introduced the system January 1, 2005 in its refreshed PowerBook line, and included it in the … Wikipedia
Inclinometer — Compass with inclinometer Military model An inclino … Wikipedia
Liquid capacitive inclinometers — are Inclinometers (or Clinometers)whose sensing elements are made with liquid capacitive technology; they are considered gravity based. The best way to understand how they work is to think of a disc like cavity that is half filled with a… … Wikipedia
Robopanda — is a robotic interactive companion produced by WowWee. The Robopanda uses interchangeable cartridges that contain personalities, stories and songs, and is controlled directly by touch and sound sensors. Robopanda is labeled for use by children… … Wikipedia
Accelerometer — An accelerometer is a device for measuring acceleration and gravity induced reaction forces.Single and multi axis models are available to detect magnitude and direction of the acceleration as a vector quantity [http://www.analog.com/en/technical… … Wikipedia