- Public service announcement
A public service announcement (PSA) or community service announcement (CSA) is a non-commercial advertisement broadcast on radio or television, ostensibly for the
public good. PSAs are intended to emodify public attitudes by raising awareness about specific issues.
In the United States
charitable organizationreleasing a PSA enlists the support of a celebrity; examples include Michael J. Fox's PSAs in the U.S. supporting research into Parkinson's Diseaseand Crips street gangleader Stanley "Tookie" Williamsspeaking from prison to urge youth not to join gangs.
Some religious groups produce PSAs on non-religious themes such as
family values. Examples include the long-running "Homefront" campaign from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Seventh-day Adventist Church, and more recently the United Methodist Church.
The military produces PSAs to recruit enlistees, in addition to paid advertising and sponsorship efforts.
In the U.S, the role of PSAs was affected by
deregulationof the broadcasting industry in the 1980s. Previously, a broadcast license was assigned to a television or radio station that was expected to serve as a "public trustee" by airing PSAs (in addition to meeting other requirements).
Untited States producers distribute traditional PSAs distributed to station directors.
Do you know where your children are?"
Don't Copy That Floppy"
*"Jem": "Doing the right thing makes you a superstar!"
Sailor Moon" (American version): "Sailor Moon Says!"
*The Incredible Crash Dummies: "You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
*"" and "Transformers": "And knowing is half the battle!"
Hinterland Who's Who"
Just Say No"
Crying Indian" (sponsored by Keep America Beautiful)
Love. It Comes in All Colors"
Learn Not to Burn" with Dick van Dyke
McGruff the Crime Dog": "Take a bite out of crime!"
NBC's " One to Grow On"
Smokey Bear": "Only you can prevent forest fires!" and "Only You Can Prevent Wildfires!"
NBC's " The More You Know"
This is Your Brain on Drugs"
I learned it by watching you"
I'm not a chicken, you're a turkey"
Woodsy Owl": "Give a hoot, don't pollute!" and "Lend a hand — care for the land!"
United Negro College Fund: "Because a mind is a terrible thing to waste."
C.O.P.S. For Kids"
Don't You Put It In Your Mouth" (sponsored by Health Canada)
American Indian College Fund: "If I Stay on the Rez"
Marine Corps Toys for Tots
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: "Sonic Sez" One segment became a YTMNDpage ("That's no good!")
Captain Planet and the Planeteers: "Planeteer Alert!"
Inspector Gadget: "Gadget Team Alert!"
Click It or Ticket
The Faster the Speed, the Bigger the Mess
*"FUR...You Deserve It" (anti-
Above the Influence
Yul Brynner": Now that I'm gone, I tell you: don't smoke (sponsored by American Cancer Society).
Public information film
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cl-pNYdXs An example of a public service announcement]
* [http://www.adcouncil.org/ Ad Council] , the largest producer of public service announcements in the United States.
* [http://saloproductions.com/public-service-announcements/ Salo Productions] , producer of traditional public service announcements distributed to TV and radio station PSA directors.
* [http://www.westglen.com/services/tv/psa.php WestGlen Communications] , a consultant, producer, and distributor of PSAs on television, radio, and the web.
* [http://www.goodwillcommunications.com/gc_default.htm Goodwill Communications] , Goodwill Communications, a distributor of public service materials to all media with a division specializing in cause related marketing.
* [http://www.psaresearch.com/ PSA Research Center] , the only on-line information center dedicated solely to
public service advertising, social issues and cause marketing.
* [http://www.drugfree.org/ Partnership for a Drug-Free America] , a well-known sponsor of public service announcements on a specific theme. The group behind the "This is your brain on drugs" TV spot.
* [http://homefront.bonneville.com/ Homefront] , 30 year campaign funded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, promoting family values.
* [http://www.collegefund.org American Indian College Fund] , providing Tribal College scholarships to Native American students around the country.
* [http://www.paho.org/English/AD/FCH/AI/VIDAMER.HTM VIHdeo America: an anthology of 10 years of HIV TV spots in the Americas]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
public-service announcement — public service an,nouncement noun count an important message, usually from the government, that is read on television or radio so that many people will hear it … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
public service announcement — (PSA) Free advertising time for socially important messages. As part of their licensing requirements, radio and television stations in the United States are expected to provide time for public service announcements. ► “TV clutter is defined as… … American business jargon
public service announcement — WikiB A PSA is intended to change the public interest, by raising awareness of an issue, affecting public attitudes, and potentially stimulating action … Audio and video glossary
public service announcement — noun (C) especially AmE a special message on television or radio, giving information about an important subject … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
Cow (public service announcement) — Cow is a public service announcement film directed by Peter Watkins Hughes with assistance from the Gwent Police Department and Tredegar Comprehensive School. The August 2008 film was a co production by Gwent Police and Tred Films, with… … Wikipedia
Public service advertising — is the use of commercial advertising techniques for non commercial purposes (see also propaganda). Typical topics for public service advertising include public health/public safety issues, emergency preparedness instructions, natural resources… … Wikipedia
Public Service — may refer to: * Public services, services provided (directly or indirectly) by a government to its citizens * The services provided by a public utility * Public Service, the system of governmental departments, agencies and employees in the public … Wikipedia
public service — noun a) A service asserted to be for the public good provided by a for profit enterprise or trade association. This has been a public service announcement from the Advertising Council. b) A service, usually provided by the government, for the… … Wiktionary
public-service — adj. Public service is used with these nouns: ↑announcement, ↑broadcaster, ↑union … Collocations dictionary
Public information film — Public Information Films (known as PIFs) are a series of government commissioned short films, shown during television advertising breaks in the UK. The US equivalent is the Public Service Announcement (PSAs). ubjectsThe films advised the public… … Wikipedia