Oldmeldrum Scottish Gaelic: Meall Druim
Oldmeldrum shown within Aberdeenshire
Population 2,187 (2006) OS grid reference Council area Aberdeenshire Lieutenancy area Aberdeenshire Country Scotland Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town INVERURIE Postcode district AB51 Dialling code 01651 Police Grampian Fire Grampian Ambulance Scottish EU Parliament Scotland UK Parliament Gordon Scottish Parliament Gordon List of places: UK • Scotland •
Oldmeldrum (commonly known as Meldrum) is a village and parish in the Formartine area of Aberdeenshire, not far from Inverurie in North East Scotland. With a growing population of over 2000, Oldmeldrum falls within Scotland's top 300 centres of population. The A947 road from Aberdeen to Banff runs through the centre of the village. Oldmeldrum has a primary school and a secondary school, the Meldrum Academy, which also includes the local library. Local industries are agriculture and engineering services connected to the oil industry in Aberdeen.
Each summer on the third Saturday in June the village is host to the popular "Meldrum Sports", which began in 1930 and features highland games, highland dancing, piping, five-a-side football, displays, stalls and a beer tent.
The Sports were first held in 1930 when a group of local men got together to raise funds to provide cocoa to the local children. Over the years thousands of pounds have been donated to local good causes and charities. The Sports are on Saturday 18th June 2011.
An Arts and Music Festival has been held in March 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009 by the Rotary Club to promote local singers, musicians, artists, and photographers.
To the north of the village is Meldrum House, a mansion and castle built in the 13th century, and now a hotel and golf course. It is said to be haunted by a 'White Lady'. There is another golf course to the east of the village, the Oldmeldrum Golf Club, founded in 1885. A 72-year old golfer died in a bunker on the first hole in 2006.
Glen Garioch distillery is one of the oldest in Scotland. It was built in 1797, and has a visitors centre.
Tolquhon Castle is about 5 miles to the east of Oldmeldrum.
From Oldmeldrum, there are good views of the nearby Bennachie hills.
There is also a skatepark that was built in June 2009.
The Battle of Barra was fought in May 1308 at Barra Hill between the armies of Scottish King Robert Bruce and John Comyn, 3rd Earl of Buchan.
Old Meldrum railway station served Oldmeldrum on a line from Inverurie until 1965.
- Nicholas Bogdan, archeologist and architectural historian, lived at Barra Castle.
- George Chrystal, a mathematician.
- Douglas Scott Falconer, a geneticist.
- William Forsyth, a botanist and ancestor of Bruce Forsyth. The William Forsyth Community Garden opened in Oldmeldrum in 2008.
- Donald Gordon, a Canadian businessman.
- William Keith, a California landscape artist
- Sir Patrick Manson, the founder of the field of tropical medicine, was born at Cromlet Hill, now a guesthouse.
- George Smith Morris and Willie Kemp, Doric musicians related by marriage.
- Sir George Watt, botanist in India
- ^ http://www.aberdeenshireleader.org/Document_Library/documents/AberdeenshireLAGPartnershipDetailsupdated15Oct07_000.pdf
- ^ General Register Office for Scotland. "Mid-2004 Population Estimates". Archived from the original on 2007-05-02. http://web.archive.org/web/20070502100810/http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/publications-and-data/settlements-and-localities/mid-2004-population-estimates-for-settlements-in-scotland.html. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- ^ Meldrum School
- ^ http://www.meldrumacademy.co.uk/
- ^ Scotland the What? trio to open Sports
- ^ Art and Music Festivals
- ^ http://www.meldrumhousegolf.co.uk/files/Brief_History_Meldrum_House.pdf
- ^ Ross, Donna. Trick or treat. Aberdeen Press & Journal, 31 October 2006
- ^ http://www.oldmeldrumgolf.co.uk/
- ^ Dow, Bob. AL DIES IN BUNKER Daily Record, Jun 23 2006
- ^ A Vision of Britain Through Time - Oldmeldrum Burgh
- ^ "Nicholas Bogdan". The Guardian (London). 28 August 2002. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2002/aug/28/guardianobituaries.obituaries. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
- ^ A History of Barra Castle
- ^ http://www.oldmeldrumrotary.org.uk/garden.htm
- ^ Beaton, Alistair. Evergreen entertainer congratulates garden volunteers The Press & Journal
- ^ http://www.leopardmag.co.uk/feats/76/a-salute-to-doric-heroes
- Meldrum Online - New community blog
- Oldmeldrum Community Website
- Inverurie Herald - Out & About In Meldrum & Daviot
- Meldrum & Bourtie Parish Church
- The Rotary Club of Oldmeldrum
- Meldrum and Bourtie Community Council
- The Press & Journal
- Mid-Formartine Councillors
Settlements and places of interest in Formartine, Aberdeenshire Primary settlements Other settlements Places of interest Areas and primary settlements in Aberdeenshire
(see also: Aberdeen City)
in Banff and Buchan in Buchan in Formartine in Garioch in Kincardine and Mearns in Marr
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oldmeldrum — Koordinaten 57° 20′ N, 2° 19′ W … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oldmeldrum — Original name in latin Oldmeldrum Name in other language Oldmeldrum State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 57.33492 latitude 2.3199 altitude 116 Population 2023 Date 2011 03 03 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Patrick Manson — Sir Patrick Manson Sir Patrick Manson Born 1844 Oldmeldrum … Wikipedia
Methlick — Coordinates: 57°25′30″N 2°14′24″W / 57.425°N 2.240°W / 57.425; 2.240 … Wikipedia
Gordon (district) — Gordon Gordon district within Scotland Geography Status District History Created … Wikipedia
Newburgh, Aberdeenshire — Dunes adjacent to Newburgh on south bank of Ythan Estuary Newburgh is a coastal village in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The village dates to 1261 AD, when Lord Sinclair wanted to establi … Wikipedia
List of distilleries in Scotland — is an incomplete list of distilleries in Scotland. =Currently operating Scottish whisky distilleries= * Aberfeldy , Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross/Highlands (Midlands) * Aberlour , in Charlestown of Aberlour, Speyside * Allt á Bhainne ,… … Wikipedia
Collieston — For the hamlet in Angus, see Colliston. Collieston … Wikipedia
Balmedie — Coordinates: 57°15′N 2°03′W / 57.25°N 2.05°W / 57.25; 02.05 … Wikipedia
Battle of Inverurie (1308) — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of Inverurie partof=Wars of Scottish Independence caption= date=May 23, 1308 place=Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire, Scotland result=victory for Robert Bruce combatant1=Scottish Royal Army combatant2=Scottish… … Wikipedia