- Lin Chi-ling
Born November 29, 1974
Other names Sister Chi-ling, 040, Ice-cream Height 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in) Hair color Black Eye color Brown Measurements 34"-23½"-35" (US)
Weight 53kg (117 lbs) Dress size 6 (US)
Shoe size 9 (US)
Agency Catwalk Production House
Lin Chi-ling (Chinese: 林志玲; pinyin: Lín Zhìlíng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lím Jî-Léng – born 29 November 1974, in Taipei, Taiwan), is a Taiwanese model and actress. Famed for her gentle demeanor and physical beauty, Lin has been referred to as "The First Face of Taiwan" by members of the Taiwanese media, and has been an official spokesperson for both China Airlines and Longines since 2006. Lin's meteoric rise to fame caused Taiwanese commentators and scholars to coin the phrase "The Lin Chi-Ling Phenomenon."
Lin's father, Lin Fan-nan (Chinese: 林繁男; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lím Hôan-lâm), and her mother, Wu Tzu-mei (Chinese: 吳慈美; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Ngô Chû-bí), are both from Tainan, in southern Taiwan. Following their marriage, they moved to Taipei where Lin and her elder brother Lin Chi-hong (Chinese: 林志鴻; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lím Jî-hông) were born. Lin attended Taipei Municipal Zhongzheng Junior High School and at the age of 15 was discovered by model talent scout Lin Chien-huan (Chinese: 林健寰; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lím Kiān-Khôan). She later attended Bishop Strachan School in Toronto, Canada, then attended the University of Toronto until 1997 when she completed a bachelor's degree, double-majoring in Western art history and economics.
After graduating from university, Lin returned to Taiwan. She intended to pursue a career in fine art and sought a position at the Taipei Fine Arts Museum, but was turned away because she lacked a postgraduate degree in the field. Lin continued doing part-time modeling work before leaving the business and working for a time as an administrative assistant for the Fubon Cultural and Educational Foundation. In 2000, Lin left Fubon and spent three months studying in Japan, then returned to Taiwan and began modeling with Catwalk Production House.
"The Lin Chi-ling Phenomenon"
In 2002, Lin was invited to model in a television advertisement in Hong Kong. The advertisement received attention and discussion on the internet, and interest in Lin began to grow. The following year, noted television producer Ge Hongfu offered Lin a position as hostess of a fashion program on Shanghai Oriental Television. In 2004, Lin starred in a broad series of advertisements in Taiwan that included giant building-size posters, billboards, and television commercials. Almost overnight, Lin skyrocketed to national fame and became an instant celebrity model. Her rise to fame initiated a Taiwanese craze for supermodels, an effect commentators named "The Lin Chi-ling Phenomenon" (Chinese: 林志玲現象; pinyin: Lín Zhìlínɡ xiànxiànɡ; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lím Jî-léng hiān-siōng).
Lin's popularity grew throughout the rest of 2004 as she began modeling in Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese advertisements, and continued when she began doing Japanese advertisements in 2005. From 2004 to 2006, Lin served as Taiwan's goodwill ambassador to the Japan Tourism Association. On August 8, 2005, Lin was in Dalian, China, shooting an advertisement for Procter & Gamble home products when she fell from the back of a horse she was riding and was inadvertently trampled. Workers rushed Lin to a nearby hospital where doctors discovered that she had suffered 6 broken ribs, a punctured left lung, and an accumulation of blood in the pleural cavity. Lin underwent four months of treatment and therapy, and announced in November 2005 that she had completely recovered.
Lin has had numerous roles in television over her time as a model, being the host of TVBS-G LA Mode News, TVBS-G Fashion Track,the Golden Melody Awards and the Top Chinese Music Chart Awards in 2005.
Lin starred as one of the three female leads in the 2010 Fuji TV Japanese television drama Tsuki no Koibito. The male lead is popular actor Takuya Kimura.
Lin has made her film début role in a historical epic directed by John Woo entitled Red Cliff. Playing the role of Xiaoqiao, it was her first time acting ever. In 2009, she starred together with Jay Chou in the action-adventure film The Treasure Hunter.
Year English Title Original Title Role Notes 2008 Red Cliff 赤壁 Xiao Qiao 2009 The Magic Aster 馬蘭花 Da Lan Voice acting The Treasure Hunter 刺陵 Lan Ting 2010 Moon Lovers 月の恋人 Liu Xiu Mei Japan TV Series Welcome to Sha Ma Town 決戰刹馬鎮 Chun Niang 2011 Love on Credit 幸福額度
She is the ambassador for numerous products and organizations which includes
- Olay Bath 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan)
- Uni-President Chicken Extact 2004 (Taiwan)
- Chrysler Automobile (Taiwan)
- Pantech G600 Cellular Phone 2004 (Taiwan)
- KIA Automobile "Euro Carens" 2004 (Taiwan)
- Xiduoduo Vegetable Fiber Congee 2004 & 2005 (China)
- Lucky Grass Jewelry 2004 & 2005 (Taiwan)
- Lee Cooper Jeans 2004, 2005 & 2006 (Taiwan)
- Olay Skincare 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan)
- Visit Japan Campaign 2004, 2005 &2006 (Japan, Taiwan)
- Asenka Frozen Yogurt 2004, 2005 & 2006 (Taiwan)
- Joan Fashion Catalogue 2005 (Taiwan)
- Pantene Shampoo 2005, 2006 & 2007 (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan)
- ARTDECO Cosmetics 2006 (Taiwan)
- Longines (Asia) 2006, 2007 & 2008 (Asia)
- China Airline 2006, 2007 & 2008 (Global)
- AEE Shoes 2006 & 2007 (China)
- Artdeco Makeup 2007 & 2008 (China, Taiwan)
- Sunvim Linen 2007 & 2008 (China)
- OSIM 2007 & 2008 (China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan)
- Procter & Gamble Breast Cancer Prevention Association “6 Minutes for Life” 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 (Taiwan)
- World Vision AIDS Orphan Project 2006
- "International Artist Credibility Award", 2nd International Television Commercial Arts Festival in 2006
- "Hong Kong Style Icons", Hong Kong Trade Development Council in 2006
- "Top Ten China Beauty", 5th International Beauty Week in 2006
- "Best Fashion Icon at the 2nd Entertainment Award at Beijing in 2007
- "Most popular New Actress", Baidu Award in 2008
- "Best New Actress", Sina Award in 2008
- "Best Asia Star Award", Asia Model Festival awards at Korea in 2009
- "Most Influential Charity Icon", Charity Star Award in 2009
- ^ 林志玲：我的小名叫冰淇淋_联合早报网 zaobao.com (Chinese)
- ^ http://tw.epochtimes.com/bt/5/4/9/n883234.htm
- ^ "Longines – Ambassadors of Elegances Personalities Page" (PDF). http://www.longines.com/documents/biography/chi-ling-lin-en.pdf. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- ^ Zhan Weixiong 詹伟雄, (2008). Meixue de Jingji – Taiwan Shehui Bianqian de 60 ge Weixing Guancha 美學的經濟——臺灣社會變遷的60個微型觀察 [literally ""The Economy of Aesthetics – 60 Microscopic Observations of Taiwan's Societal Changes""]. (Taipei: Feng Ge Zhe). ISBN 9572989529
- ^ 林健寰慧眼識英雄 發掘張鳳書、林志玲等女星 | 娛樂新聞 | NOWnews 今日新聞網. Nownews.com (2006-03-26). Retrieved on 2010-12-12.
- ^ "積極、樂觀，林志玲" [literally ""Active and Optimistic Lin Chi-Ling""], in Vogues Taiwan, 1998, issue 24, 180.
- ^ 林志玲鳳凰變身五重奏 光速走紅娛樂圈大揭秘-海峽兩岸-人民網. Tw.people.com.cn. Retrieved on 2010-12-12.
- ^ 林志玲价码三级跳 千万续约费让唐安麒傻眼, Ent.163.com., 10 September 2004, Retrieved on 2010-12-12.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ 中國評論新聞：林志玲傷得不輕 真的6根肋骨骨折. Chinareviewnews.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-12.
- ^ "Lin Chi-ling". imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2258705/. Retrieved March 12, 2010.
- ^ "Lin Chi-ling". chinesemov.com. http://chinesemov.com/actors/Lin%20Chi-Ling.html. Retrieved March 12, 2010.
- ^ "Longines – Ambassadors of Elegances Personalities Page (Archive)" (DOC). http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:MsN3CiZawmsJ:www.longines.com/documents/biography/chi-ling-lin-en.pdf+Chi+Ling+Lin,+Longines&hl=en&gl=sg&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgUZFCwkDL0TfscfU7Tc4lb6FxtFnQBg5gCF_hrJbzWU6OjNJFejbT5QKKzzjouewEo6Km7a-w8UGdHvuE1P-gOa5iZAr91i-v18E8d3jqtF2ooivtiPFSmtx3eLqH9cXi1ei2T&sig=AHIEtbRKnSMir8ywL0B0OU6UhAkjmJjpmQ. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lin Chi-ling — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Ling. Lin Chi ling Lin Chi ling (chinois : 林志玲) (née le 29 novembre 1974 à … Wikipédia en Français
Lin Chiling — Lin Chi ling Lin Chi ling Lin Chi ling (chinois : 林志玲) (née le 29 novembre 1974 à Taipei) est un mannequin et une actrice taïwanaise. Elle a notamment participé au film Les Trois Royaumes (2008) de … Wikipédia en Français
Lin (surname) — Lin is a pinyin transcription of one of several Chinese surnames, with 林 (pinyin Lín) being overwhelmingly the most common. The literal meaning of this surname is forest or woods . The majority of people with this surname are concentrated in the… … Wikipedia
Ling — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Patronyme Ling est porté par les personnalités suivantes : Pehr Henrik Ling (ou Per Henrik Ling), pédagogue suédois Bai Ling, actrice chinoise… … Wikipédia en Français
Chi Chi (giant panda) — Chi Chi at London Zoo, September 1967 Chi Chi (1957 in wild in Sichuan, China 22 July 1972 London Zoo, United Kingdom) was a well known giant panda at London Zoo in … Wikipedia
Lin Ling — (* 9. September 1977 in Fuzhou (China)) ist eine in China geborene Tischtennisspielerin aus Hongkong, die viermal Asienmeisterin wurde und bei Weltmeisterschaften zwei Silbermedaillen gewann. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Werdegang 2 Ergebnisse aus der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chi-Hung Cheng — (born June 20, 1985 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan), is a Major League Baseball professional baseball player. He is currently a free agent. A pitcher, Cheng plays minor league baseball in the United States for the Toronto Blue Jays organization. In 2008,… … Wikipedia
Wu Style Tai Chi Fast Form — The different slow motion solo form training sequences of T ai Chi Ch uan are the best known manifestation of T ai Chi for the general public. In English, they are usually called the hand form or just the form ; in Mandarin it is usually called… … Wikipedia
Yoga Lin — Infobox Chinese language singer and actor name = Yoga Lin caption = Yoga Lin singing at an autograph signing event. chinesename = 林宥嘉 pinyinchinesename = Lín Yòu Jīa jyutpingchinesename = birthname = ancestry = origin = birthdate = birth date and … Wikipedia
Tai Chi Master — Infobox Film name = Twin Warriors image size = caption = director = Yuen Wo Ping producer = Jet Li writer = Kwong Kim Yip narrator = starring = Jet Li Michelle Yeoh music = Stephen Edwards Wai Lap Wu cinematography = Tom Lau editing = Angie Lam… … Wikipedia