- Adam Duritz
Duritz on the levee in Saint Louis with
Counting Crows Photo: Taylor Spaulding
Background information Birth name Adam Fredric Duritz Born 1 August 1964
Genres Alternative rock, pop rock Occupations Musician, Songwriter, Record producer, Film producer Instruments Vocals, Piano, Guitar, Harmonica Years active 1980s–present Associated acts Mod-L Society, The Himalayans, Sordid Humor, Counting Crows Website CountingCrows.com 
Adam Fredric Duritz (born August 1, 1964) is an American musician, songwriter, record producer, and film producer. He is best known for his role as frontman and vocalist for the rock band Counting Crows, in which he is a founding member and principal composer of their catalogue of songs.
Duritz has recorded solo material of his own and collaborated with other musical acts, leading him to branch out as the owner of at least two record labels, acting as his own A&R man. His work scoring music for film has been recognized by the music industry, notably with an award for co-writing the song "Accidentally in Love" for the movie Shrek 2 from BMI.
Duritz's lyrics have been described as "morose" and "tortured" and as "wordy introspection" and his vocals "expressive." He has also suffered from what he describes as "a dissociative disorder, which makes the world seem like it's not real," which contributes to the length of time between albums and the inspiration for many of his lyrics.
Adam Duritz was born in Baltimore, Maryland to a Jewish family. Duritz moved to Boston, then El Paso, Texas, and finally to Berkeley, California. Duritz has lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, Amsterdam and, most recently, New York City. As a student, he attended Head-Royce School, the Taft School, the University of California, Davis and the University of California, Berkeley, but dropped out before earning a degree.
Before gaining fame, Duritz sang (and later wrote songs) for a few San Francisco Bay Area bands. These included Mod-L Society, and another, was a college rock band, Sordid Humor. While Duritz was not a member, in the early 1990s, two other musicians who Duritz had not yet met were introduced while working with the band. Duritz had been tapped to provide vocals on one track, and future bandmate David Immerglück, (nicknamed "Immy") as a session musician on bass guitar. Producing the album, was David Bryson, both of whom became good friends. In 1990, Duritz joined with Bryson, and followed his lead in forming the band, The Himalayans. In the Himalayans, his songwriting talents were beginning to gain recognition from the other musicians and a song, albeit in its infancy, "Round Here" was written at that time. A year later, while The Himalayans recorded a demo tape for a major record label, Duritz and Bryson independently submitted another demo tape of just the two of them singing stripped-down musical selections, and called themselves Counting Crows. After listening to both tapes, Duritz and Bryson's tape was selected; although they were asked to record the song on their debut album as it was. She Likes the Weather was the result, containing "Round Here".
He has collaborated with The Wallflowers (led by Jakob Dylan) on the album Bringing Down the Horse on the track "6th Avenue Hearthache"; with Ryan Adams on Gold and the song "Butterfly in Reverse" from Hard Candy; with Peter Stuart on Propeller and Daisy; with Live on V; and with Dashboard Confessional on the track "So Long, So Long" from Dusk and Summer. He also collaborated with Nanci Griffith on "Going Back to Georgia", from Griffith's 1994 Album "Flyer".
Duritz also contributed the songs "Spin Around," "You Don't See Me," and "You're a Star" to the Josie and the Pussycats soundtrack that were performed by the film's fictional title band. Along with bandmates Vickrey, Bryson, and Immerglück, Duritz co-wrote the song "Accidentally in Love" for the soundtrack of the movie, Shrek 2, winning them each an award from BMI.
Duritz was also a judge for the 10th annual Independent Music Awards to support independent artists' careers.
Duritz has made slow progress in the music industry as a record label owner. In 1997, Duritz co-founded E Pluribus Unum, an independent label. Before the label was purchased by Interscope Records in 2000, Duritz signed Joe 90, Gigolo Aunts, and Neilson Hubbard – all of whom he took on the road to open for Counting Crows. In November 2006, Adam Duritz began production on the Chicago pop punk band Blacktop Mourning's debut record under the name "The Devil and Bunny Show" alongside Counting Crows guitarist David Immerglück's current album. He later announced, on January 15, 2007, that he was launching boutique record label Tyrannosaurus Records. His debut artists include Notar and Blacktop Mourning. The label also re-released the sole album by Duritz's former band The Himalayans.
Relationship with fans
Adam maintains an account and has frequently updated on Twitter. He also reads and responds to posts on the band’s messageboard, and recently started a feature called AskCrowsAsk where fans can email questions for band members to answer. This relationship has not always been smooth; Duritz has clashed with some fans, chastising those involved in flame wars by quipping on his blog, "Some of you are truly fucking unpleasant people."
- Freeloaders'. Adam is teaming with the Broken Lizard comedy troupe in an upcoming picture. The film will revolve around five guys and a girl who live in the lap of luxury in a rock star's mansion. But their sweet situation is threatened when the rock star decides to sell the home. The friends will do whatever it takes to maintain their rock and roll lifestyle, as hilarity and shenanigans ensue.
- ^ a b Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2005). "Counting Crows biography". VH1.com. http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/counting_crows/bio.jhtml. Retrieved 2007-03-01.
- ^ Kot, Greg (2004). "Counting Crows: Biography". Rollingstone.com. http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/countingcrows/biography. Retrieved 2007-03-01.
- ^ Savage, Mark (2008-03-27). "Talking Shop: Counting Crows". BBC.co.uk. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7315441.stm. Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- ^ Sessa, Sam. "Counting Crows singer shares memories of Baltimore," The Baltimore Sun, Saturday, July 10, 2010.
- ^ "Introducing THE HIMALAYANS biography". The Official Himalayans Website. http://www.thehimalayans.com/. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- ^ vanHorn, Teri (2001-07-12). "Tricky, Adam Duritz Guest On Fifth Live Album, V". MTV.com. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1445123/20010712/live.jhtml. Retrieved 2007-04-23.
- ^ Moss, Corey (2006-01-19). "Dashboard Confessional Singer Records Duet With Adam Duritz". MTV.com. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1520484/20060110/dashboard_confessional.jhtml. Retrieved 2007-04-23.
- ^ imdb Awards
- ^ Independent Music Awards - Past Judges
- ^ "Farce of the Penguins". MTV.com. 2007. http://www.mtv.com/movies/movie/298301/castcrew.jhtml. Retrieved 2007-04-23.
- ^ "Twitter.com Counting Crows (countingcrows) on Twitter". http://twitter.com/countingcrows. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- ^ "CountingCrows.com news.journal". 2005-12-22. http://www.countingcrows.com/?em50=742_-1__0_~0_-1_7_2009_0_0&content=adams_blog&catKey=637. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- ^ Siegle, Tatiana (2008-11-11). "Adam Duritz, Broken Lizard making film". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995689.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2568. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Adam Duritz at the Internet Movie Database
- Adam Duritz discography at MusicBrainz
- Tyrannosaurus Records -Record label
Counting Crows Studio albums Live albumsAcross a Wire: Live in New York City · New Amsterdam: Live at Heineken Music Hall · iTunes Live from SoHo · August and Everything After: Live at Town Hall CompilationsFilms About Ghosts (The Best Of...) · Aural 6 Singles"Mr. Jones" · "Round Here" · "Einstein on the Beach (For an Eggman)" · "Rain King" · "A Murder of One" · "Angels of the Silences" · "A Long December" · "Daylight Fading" · "Hanginaround" · "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" · "All My Friends" · "American Girls" · "Miami" · "Big Yellow Taxi" · "If I Could Give All My Love (Richard Manuel Is Dead)" · "Holiday in Spain" · "She Don't Want Nobody Near" · "Accidentally in Love" · "1492" · "You Can't Count on Me" Concert videosAugust and Everything After: Live at Town Hall Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Adam Duritz — (2002) Adam Duritz (* 1. August 1964 in Baltimore, Maryland) ist der Sänger der US amerikanischen Musikgruppe Counting Crows. Duritz, der auch die Songs der Band schreibt, verarbeitet in den Songtexten eigene Erfahrungen. Er beschreibt sich in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Adam Duritz — Adam Frederic Duritz (né le 1er août 1964 à Baltimore, Maryland) est un musicien et producteur américain. Il est aussi chanteur, leader et fondateur du groupe de rock Counting Crows … Wikipédia en Français
Adam Duritz — Archivo:Adamduritz.jpg Adam Duritz. Adam Frederic Duritz (*1 de agosto de 1964) es un músico estadounidense y un productor de medios. Es el cantante de la banda Counting Crows. Contenido 1 Biografía 1.1 Infancia y juventud … Wikipedia Español
Duritz — Adam Duritz. Adam Duritz (* 1. August 1964 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA) ist der Sänger der US amerikanischen Musikgruppe Counting Crows. Duritz, der auch die Songs der Band schreibt, verarbeitet in den Songtexten eigene Erfahrungen. Er beschreibt … Deutsch Wikipedia
Adam Hamilton (musician) — Adam Hamilton is a Los Angeles based music producer,songwriter and session musician. He is also the former bass guitarist of L.A. Guns. With L.A. Guns, he co wrote and played on the albums Waking the Dead , Rips the Covers Off , Tales from the… … Wikipedia
Counting Crows — at Ancienne Belgique , Brussels, 2008; from left to right: Jim Bogios, Adam Duritz, David Immerglück, and Charlie Gillingham. Dan Vickrey is cut off at the left extreme and Millard Powers can be seen behind Duritz. Background informa … Wikipedia
Maria (Counting Crows) — Counting Crows songwriter Adam Duritz has said that Maria is a metaphor for himself: I mean, she s me.  Maria is a recurring character in the songs written by Adam Duritz, the songwriter and lead singer of Counting Crows. Maria has appeared in … Wikipedia
August and Everything After — Infobox Album Name = August and Everything After Type = Studio Artist = Counting Crows Released = flagicon|US September 14, 1993 flagicon|UK September 20, 1993 flagicon|US September 18, 2007 (Deluxe Edition) flagicon|UK January 28, 2008 (Deluxe… … Wikipedia
Recovering the Satellites — Studio album by Counting Crows Released October 14, 1996 (1996 … Wikipedia
Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings — Infobox Album Name = Saturday Nights Sunday Mornings Type = studio Artist = Counting Crows Released = start date|2008|3|24 Recorded = Genre = Rock Length = 60:00 Label = Geffen Producers = Gil Norton, Brian Deck Reviews = * AbsolutePunk.net (76%) … Wikipedia