- Northeastern United States (U.S. Census Bureau)
The region comprises nine states: the New England states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont; and the Mid-Atlantic states of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. The Census Bureau regions are "widely used...for data collection and analysis." Not all definitions of the Northeastern United States, however, are the same as the Census Bureau's.
Rank Metropolitan Area State(s) and/or Territory 2010 Census Population 1 New York CT, NJ, NY 18,897,109 2 Philadelphia DE, NJ, PA 5,965,343 3 Boston MA, NH 4,552,402 4 Pittsburgh PA 2,356,285 5 Providence MA, RI 1,600,852 6 Hartford CT 1,212,381 7 Buffalo NY 1,135,509 8 Rochester NY 1,054,323 Rank City State(s) and/or Territory 2010 Census Population 1 New York City NY 8,175,133 2 Philadelphia PA 1,526,006 3 Boston MA 617,594 4 Pittsburgh PA 305,704 5 Newark NJ 277,140 6 Buffalo NY 261,310 7 Jersey City NJ 247,597 8 Rochester NY 210,565 9 Yonkers NY 195,976
- ^ "Census Regions and Divisions of the United States". US Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf.
- ^ US Regional Divisions, accessed 16 Apr 2008
- ^ U.S. Energy Information Administration, "The National Energy Modeling System: An Overview 2003", Report #:DOE/EIA-0581(2009) (October 2009).
- ^ "The most widely used regional definitions follow those of the U.S. Bureau of the Census." Seymour Sudman & Norman M. Bradburn, Asking Questions: A Practical Guide to Questionnaire Design, Jossey-Bass (1982): p. 205.
- ^ "Perhaps the most widely used regional classification system is one developed by the U.S. Census Bureau." Dale M. Lewison, Retailing, Prentice Hall (1997): p. 384. ISBN 9780134614274
- ^ "Northeast", MSN Encarta dictionary.
- ^ American Heritage Dictionary on dictionary.com, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/northeast
- ^ Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by State[dead link]
- ^ http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-01.pdf
- ^ "Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - United States -- Metropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico more information 2010 Census National Summary File of Redistricting Data". 2010 United States Census. United States Census Bureau, Population Division. April 14, 2011. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_NSRD_GCTPL2.US24PR&prodType=table. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
Geographic regions of the United States Political Units Time zones Census Federal Judicial circuits Physical Physiographic Coastal Historical Ac/cessions Civil War Other CategoriesList · Category
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Northeastern United States — The Northeast is a region of the United States.http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us regdiv.pdf] [http://www.census.gov/geo/www/reg div.txt] As defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, it covers nine states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts,… … Wikipedia
United States Census Bureau — Bureau of the Census Seal Logo … Wikipedia
United States — a republic in the N Western Hemisphere comprising 48 conterminous states, the District of Columbia, and Alaska in North America, and Hawaii in the N Pacific. 267,954,767; conterminous United States, 3,022,387 sq. mi. (7,827,982 sq. km); with… … Universalium
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA — UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, country in N. America. This article is arranged according to the following outline: introduction Colonial Era, 1654–1776 Early National Period, 1776–1820 German Jewish Period, 1820–1880 East European Jewish Period,… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
United States presidential election, 2004 — 2000 ← November 2, 2004 → 2008 … Wikipedia
United States House of Representatives elections, 2006 - notable races — Information Summary of party changesElections to the United States House of Representatives for the 110th Congress were held on November 7, 2006. The House of Representatives has 435 seats. In the 109th Congress, Republicans held 230 seats,… … Wikipedia
United States territorial acquisitions — See also: Territorial evolution of the United States History of U.S. expansion and influence Foreign policy Military history Timeline of military operations List of bases Manifest Destiny Non interventionism … Wikipedia
Languages of the United States — Official language(s) none Main language(s) English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo European 3.8%, Asian … Wikipedia
Culture of the United States — Enthusiastic crowds at the inaugural running of the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis The Culture of the United States is a Western culture, having been originally influenced by European cultures. It has been developing since long before… … Wikipedia
Household income in the United States — For information on the income of individuals, see Personal income in the United States. Median household income in the United States, by county, in 2008 Income in the United States … Wikipedia