- Newfield Exploration
Newfield Exploration Type Public company Traded as NYSE: NFX Industry Oil and Gas Founded 1988 Founder(s) Joe B. Foster Headquarters Houston, Texas, USA Area served United States Key people Lee K. Boothby
(Chairman) (President) & (CEO)
Gary D. Packer
(Executive Vice President) & (COO)
Terry W. Rathert
(Executive Vice President) & (CFO)
Susan G. Riggs
Products Crude Oil
Employees 1,148 – February 22, 2010 Website Newfield.com
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Newfield Exploration (NYSE: NFX) is an independent company that specializes in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas. Its operations in the United States include the Mid-Continent region of Oklahoma and northern Texas, along the Rocky Mountains, southern and coastal Texas, the Gulf of Mexico, and recently in Pennsylvania along the Appalachia Mountains. Newfield also operates internationally through numerous sites offshore of Malaysia and China. By the end of 2009, total proved reserves were 3.6 trillion cubic feet (1.0×1011 m3) equivalent with approximately 85% of those reserves being located onshore of the U.S. Newfield's present base is estimated to be about 70% natural gas. Today, Newfield has an enterprise value of more than $8.5 billion.
Newfield Exploration was founded in 1988 by former chairman of Tenneco Oil Company, Joe B. Foster. Through investments by Charles Duncan, the University of Texas endowment funds and the founding employees, the company was capitalized with $9 million. During 1990, Newfield purchased its first production property in Eugene Island 172. Through various workover programs in an attempt to increase efficiency, production of Eugene Island 172 increased from 0.2 million cubic feet per day (5,700 m3/d) to over 20 million cubic feet per day (570,000 m3/d) by the end of the year. Even to this day, Eugene Island 172 continues to produce. By the end of 1993, Newfield went public and began trading on the NYSE, under the symbol "NFX". Shares would initially be sold at $4.38 before rising to what they are today. Throughout the rest of the decade, Newfield's focus of the Gulf of Mexico would begin to expand into southern Louisiana and the Texas coast in an effort to diversify their base.
2000 – present
Early into 2001, Newfield acquired Lariat Petroleum, thus establishing a new focus area in the Anadarko Basin of Oklahoma. An additional acquisition the following year was finalized in November when EEX Corporation was procured. The expansion significantly increased Newfield's asset base in South Texas. In 2004, Newfield began new operations in the Rocky Mountains upon acquisition of Inland Resources. In addition, current international operations along Malaysia established before incorporating various offshore locations along China by 2005. During 2006, strong focus on the Monument Butte area of Utah, and the Mountain Front Wash and Woodford Shale of Oklahoma help to set up Newfield's current base. Newfield furthered it's interest in the Rocky Mountains in 2007 when a $578 million acquisition of most attractive exploration and development areas was announced. In 2009, Newfield entered a new area of operation when it leased property in Pennsylvania in order to survey areas of the Marcellus Shale.
Current & future operating areas
Newfield’s domestic areas of operations include regions of Oklahoma and northern Texas known as the Mid-Continent, the Rocky Mountains, southern and coastal Texas, the Gulf of Mexico, and Pennsylvania. The Mid-Continent is the fastest growing and the largest of Newfield's divisions in terms of production, reserves and capital investment. Focusing primarily on the Anadarko and Arkoma Basins, Newfield owned a working interest in roughly 2,300 gross producing wells in that area.
Newfield owned a similar working interest in the Rocky Mountain division with more than 2,400 gross producing wells with 70% of their assets being oil with long-lived production. Focus has transitioned primarily to the potential in the Uinta, Williston, and Southern Alberta Basins. The Monument Butte oil field, located in the Uinta Basin, is Newfield’s largest and most productive asset in the Rockies and with thousand of locations remaining in addition to the large amounts of untapped gas positioned beneath the oil currently being extracted, it looks to remain so.
In Texas, Newfield presently owns interest in roughly 1000 gross producing wells reaching over 375,000 acres (1,520 km2) gross. Most of which is located in the Maverick Basin with specific focus on the Eagle ford and Pearsall Shales.
During 2009, Newfield and Hess Corporation signed a joint agreement in covering about 35,000 net acres, primarily in Susquehanna and Wayne Counties, Pennsylvania, in order to explore the Marcellus Shale. Beginning in mid-2010, Newfield expects to drill 6–10 assessment wells on the acreage, in order to ascertain the commercial quantities of gas and evaluate core data.
After establishing operations in 2004, Newfield now operates numerous shallow water oil developments and exploration with developments in the South China Sea and Bohai Bay, China. Plans are to continue development of the Malaysian offshore oil fields and discoveries in the Pearl River Mouth Basin of China where they intend to drill two exploratory commitment wells offshore China.
- ^ a b "Form 10-K". SEC. http://idea.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/34088/000119312508041781/d10k.htm. Retrieved February 3, 2009.
- ^ "NFX Profile | Newfield Exploration Company Co Stock - Yahoo! Finance". Finance.yahoo.com. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=nfx. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ "Newfield Exploration Company is an independent crude oil and natural gas exploration and production company". Newfield.com. http://www.newfield.com/profile.aspx. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ "Newfield Exploration Company - Company History". Fundinguniverse.com. http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Newfield-Exploration-Company-Company-History.html. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ a b "Newfield Exploration Company is an independent crude oil and natural gas exploration and production company". Newfield.com. http://www.newfield.com/history.aspx. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ "Newfield Exploration Company: Information from". Answers.com. http://www.answers.com/topic/newfield-exploration-co. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ "Woodford Shale - Woodford Shale Map - Woodford Gas Field". Oilshalegas.com. http://www.oilshalegas.com/woodfordshale.html. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ "Newfield Exploration Focus Areas - Rocky Mountains". Newfield.com. http://www.newfield.com/rocky_mountains.aspx. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ Perin, Monica (August 22, 2004). "Newfield puts together oil play to expand into Rockies market". http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2004/08/23/story6.html.
- ^ http://www.newfield.com/onshore_overview.aspx
- ^ "Oil & Gas Financial Journal". Ogfj.com. http://www.ogfj.com/index/article-display/1326597656/articles/oil-gas-financial-journal/e-__p/unconventional/oil-shale/marcellus-shale/newfield_-hess_partner.html. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ "Newfield Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2009 Financial and". Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&tkr=NFX%3AUS&sid=a.iWsTraDPgI. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyProfile?rpc=66&symbol=NFX.
- ^ http://www.newfield.com/focus-area-international.aspx
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NFX — Newfield Exploration Company (Business » NYSE Symbols) … Abbreviations dictionary
NFX PA — Newfield Exploration Company Financial Trust I (Business » NYSE Symbols) … Abbreviations dictionary
Shale gas — may also refer to gas generated from oil shaleShale gas is natural gas produced from shale. Because shales ordinarily have insufficient permeability to allow significant fluid flow to a well bore, most shales are not sources of natural gas. Shale … Wikipedia
Centrica — plc Type Public limited company Traded as LSE: … Wikipedia
OpenIT — Open iT, Incorporated Meter IT, Optimize IT! Type Private Industry Computer software Founded 1999 Founder(s) … Wikipedia
List of Texas companies — includes notable companies that are, or once were, headquartered in Texas.0–9* 7 ElevenA* AIG VALIC * AMR Corp. * AT T * Acme Brick Company * Action Computer Audio Visual, LLC * Adams Resources Energy * Advanced Hosted * Advantage Rent A Car *… … Wikipedia
Companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange (N) — New York Stock Exchange listed stocks: 0 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W … Wikipedia
Fortune 1000 (2005) — Fortune 1000 (classement 2006) Voici la liste des plus grandes entreprises américaines par chiffre d affaires publiée en 2006 par la magazine américain Fortune et qui correspond au classement effectif en 2005 (source) : Sommaire 1 1 100 2… … Wikipédia en Français
Fortune 1000 (2006) — Fortune 1000 (classement 2006) Voici la liste des plus grandes entreprises américaines par chiffre d affaires publiée en 2006 par la magazine américain Fortune et qui correspond au classement effectif en 2005 (source) : Sommaire 1 1 100 2… … Wikipédia en Français
Fortune 1000 (Classement 2006) — Voici la liste des plus grandes entreprises américaines par chiffre d affaires publiée en 2006 par la magazine américain Fortune et qui correspond au classement effectif en 2005 (source) : Sommaire 1 1 100 2 101 200 3 … Wikipédia en Français