- SS Empire Adur
SS Empire Adur was a 1,479 ton steamship which was built in 1920 as the Griffdu. She was renamed Noyo in 1935 and in 1940 was sold to Thailand, being renamed Nang Suang Nawa, being seized in 1942 and renamed Empire Adur. She was sold to Thailand in 1948, reverting to Nang Suang Nawa and was lost at sea in 1955 while being towed to Hong Kong for scrapping.
Griffdu was built by J F Duthie & Co, Seattle, Washington. She was the 37th and last ship built by Duthie. Griffdu was launched on 20 September 1920, and completed the following month. Her original owner was the Universal Steamship & Barge Co, Seattle. In 1925, Griffdu was sold to The Charles Nelson Co, San Francisco, serving with them for ten years. In 1935, Griffdu was sold to the Union Lumber Co, San Francisco, who renamed her Noyo. She served for five years before being sold to the Thai Niyom Panich Co, (Thai Navigation Co Ltd) Bangkok, who reflagged her and renamed her Nang Suang Nawa. In 1942, Nang Suang Nawa was seized, and passed to the Ministry of War Transport and renamed Empire Adur. She was placed under the management of the Singapore Straits Steamship Company.
Empire Adur was not a popular member of convoys due to the condition of her boilers, and the fact that she would belch black smoke and flames from her funnel. The convoy escorts threatened to ask Empire Adur to leave the convoy or sink her. Another of her faults was that the nut holding the steering wheel on often came loose, with the result that the wheel came off in the helmsman's hands.
In 1948, Empire Adur was sold to the Thai Maritime Navigation Co, Bangkok and regained her former name of Nang Suang Nawa. She served for a further seven years but went missing under tow by the Philippines registered tug Albacore to Hong Kong for scrapping. Both vessels were presumed lost. Her last reported position was north of the Paracel Islands at Coordinates: on 23 November 1955.
Official number and code letters
Official Numbers were a forerunner to IMO Numbers.
- ^ "J. F. Duthie & Company, Seattle WA". shipbuildinghistory.com. http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/history/shipyards/4emergency/wwone/duthie.htm. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- ^ ""2220755"" (subscription required). Miramar Ship Index. R.B. Haworth. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- ^ a b c "EMPIRE - A". Mariners-L. http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EmpireA.html. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- ^ a b "STRAITS STEAMSHIP COMPANY". merchantnavyofficers.com. http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/straits3.html. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- ^ "CONVOY KMS 21". warsailors.com. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/kms21.html. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- ^ The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. 1995. pp. p383. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- ^ a b "LLOYD'S REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=34b0349.pdf. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- ^ a b "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=38b0652.pdf. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- ^ a b "LLOYD'S REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=41b0608.pdf. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- ^ a b "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=45a0324.pdf. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- Photo showing launch of SS Griffdu
Empire ships beginning with Empire A Aircraft Carriers Cargo ships
Empire Abbey1 · Empire Abercorn1 · Empire Ability · Empire Activity (I) · Empire Addison · Empire Aden · Empire Admiral · Empire Adur · Empire Adventure · Empire Advocate · Empire Airman (I) · Empire Albany2 · Empire Albatross · Empire Alde1 · Empire Aldgate3 · Empire Allenby · Empire Almond · Empire Annan · Empire Antelope · Empire Antigua · Empire Archer · Empire Ardle · Empire Arnold · Empire Arun · Empire Asquith · Empire Athelstan3 · Empire Atoll1, 2 · Empire Attendant · Empire Audrey2 · Empire Austen · Empire Avocet1 · Empire Ayr
Landing ships Tankers Tugs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Empire ships (A) — The Empire ships were a series of ships in the service of the British Government. Their names were all prefixed with Empire. Mostly they were used during the Second World War by the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT), which owned the ships but… … Wikipedia
SS Empire Almond — Career Name: Empire Almond (1941 41) Marquita (1946 51) Marsland (1951 60) Huta Zgoda (1960 69) MP Zozie 12 (1969 78) Owner: Ministry of War Transport (1941 46) Kaye, Son Co Ltd … Wikipedia
MV Empire Alderney — Career Name: Empire Alderney (1943 46) Mil 50 (1946 55), Max S (1955 80) Owner: Ministry of War Transport (1943 46) Norsk Tankanlaeg A/S, Norway (1946 55) Partenrederei Max S, West Germany (1955 58) … Wikipedia
SS Empire Asquith — Career Name: Empire Asquith (1944–47) Brockley Hill (1947–51) Starcrest (1951–57) Argosy (1957–60) Nezihi Ipar (1960–70) Owner: Ministry of War Transport (1944–47) Brockley Hill Steam … Wikipedia
SS Empire Aden — Career Name: Empire Aden (1945 48) Etivebank (1948 56) Alcyone Fortune (1956 58) Northern Venture (1958 67) Owner: Ministry of War Transport (1945 48) A Weir Co (1948 56) Alcyone Shipp … Wikipedia
List of Empire ships (R) — The Empire ships were a series of ships in the service of the British Government. Their names were all prefixed with Empire . Mostly they were used during World War II by the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT), who owned the ships but contracted… … Wikipedia
MV Domala — Career Name: Magnava (1920 21) Domala (1921 40) Empire Attendant (1940 42) Owner: British India Steam Navigation Co Ltd (1920 40) Ministry of War Transport (1940 42) … Wikipedia
SS Benalbanach (1946) — Career Name: Empire Athelstan (1946 47) Benalbanach (1947 66) Camelot (1966 69) Dragon Castle (1969 75) Owner: Ministry of Transport (1946 47) Ben Line Steamers (1947 65) Ministry of Transpo … Wikipedia
SS Drakensburg Castle — Career Name: Empire Allenby (1944 46) Drakensburg Castle (1946 59) Owner: Ministry of War Transport (1944 46) Union Castle Mail Steamship Co Ltd (1946 59) Operator … Wikipedia
SS Hoxie — Career Name: Hoxie Empire Albatross Belgian Fisherman Belgique Martha Hendrik Fisser Owner: US Shipping Board (1918 37) US Maritime Commission (1937 40) Ministry of War Transpor … Wikipedia