ntfsprogs Stable release 2.0.0 / September 29, 2007 Written in C Operating system Unix-like Type File system utilities License GNU GPL Website www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsprogs at the Wayback Machine (archived May 22, 2008)
Ntfsprogs is a collection of free Unix utilities for managing the NTFS filesystem used by Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 on a harddisk partition. 'ntfsprogs' was the first stable method of writing to NTFS partitions in Linux.
All NTFS versions are supported, used by 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. ntfsprogs remains a popular way of interacting with NTFS partitions and is included by most Linux distributions and on Live CDs. There are also versions that have been compiled for Windows.
- ntfsresize, used for non-destructively resizing a NTFS Partition
- ntfsclone, used for making uncompressed, but space-efficient clones of NTFS Partitions. It does not support image verification.
- mkntfs, used for creating NTFS partitions
- ntfsmount, for mounting using FUSE
- ntfsfix, schedules a Windows check of a file system on the next boot
- ntfsundelete, undeletes a file
- ntfsdecrypt, decrypts EFS
- ntfsck, performs a consistency check on the specified volume. (Note that development appears to be suspended.)
Other programs are included, but are very basic in functionality, and/or intended for developers.
- ^ Shilliday, Barry (2007-04-17), "Running other operating systems alongside Linux", Personal Computer World, http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2187957/hands-running-operating-systems, retrieved 2008-05-29
- ^ Mathes, Steven (2007-02-01), "The Interoperability Power of Linux-NTFS Tools", Linux Journal, http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9327, retrieved 2008-05-29
- ^ 
- ^ Altaparmakov, Anton (2009-03-12), "Ntfsprogs - ntfsck", none, http://www.nabble.com/Ntfsprogs---ntfsck-td22472614.html, retrieved 2009-05-16
- Shilliday, Barry (2006-12-06), "It's all write now: NTFS filesystem under Linux", Personal Computer World, http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2170805/hands-write, retrieved 2008-05-29
- Smith, Roderick (2008-03-30), "Communicating With the Other Half: NTFS Support in Linux", Linux Magazine, http://linux-mag.com/id/5523, retrieved 2008-05-29
This computer storage-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.