- Racer goby
Racer gody The Racer Goby from the Bug River, Poland Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Actinopterygii Order: Perciformes Suborder: Gobioidei Family: Gobiidae Subfamily: Benthophilinae Genus: Babka
Species: B. gymnotrachelus Binomial name Babka gymnotrachelus
The range of the racer goby Synonyms
- Gobius burmeisteri Kessler, 1877
- Gobius gymnotrachelus Kessler, 1857
- Gobius macropus De Filippi, 1863
- Mesogobius gymnotrachelus (Kessler, 1857)
- Mesogobius gymnotrachelus otschakovinus Zubovich, 1925
- Neogobius gymnotrachelus (Kessler, 1857)
Racer goby, Babka gymnotrachelus, is a species of fish in the Gobiidae family. Its natural range is fresh, sometime brackish waters, of the Black Sea basin. It is a Ponto-Caspian relict species. The species is related to a monotypic genus Babka, which was considered as subgenus of Neogobius genus earlier, but now it is erected based on the molecular analysis.
It has 7–8 dorsal spines, 14–18 dorsal soft rays, a single anal spine and 12–16 anal soft rays. This species is distinguished from its congeners by the multiple characteristics. It has diagonal bars of irregular position and shape. The first branched ray of second dorsal is about as long as its penultimate ray. It lacks scales on midline of nape, anterior to its preoperculum. It has a pelvic-disc fraenum with small rounded lobes and length less than 1/6 of width at base. It has 54-62 + 2-3 scales in midlateral series. The posterior part of first dorsal has no black spot.
This goby inhabits the coasts of Turkey, the rivers of the Caucasus, including Inguri, Rioni and the rivers of Kolkhida, including Lake Paliastomi, Lake Suzha. In the north-western Black Sea it inhabits the Dnieper-Bug Estuary, Dniester Estuary, near the Tendra sandbar and Berezan Island. In the Danube River it is widspread up to Vidin, and lives in tributaries and lakes of Danube delta, including Brateş, Kahul, Yalpug, Katlabuh, Kitay, Razelm, etc. It inhabits the Dniester River and its tributaries, including Zbruch, Zhvanchik, Smotrych, Răut, Bîc, Dubăsari Reservoir. It is common in the Southern Bug River and in the Dnieper River as far as Kiev. It lives in the Kamchiya River and Lake Shablensko in Bulgaria. In the Sea of Azov it is in Taganrog Bay and the Don, Aksay, Seversky Donets rivers. Also inhabits the Caspian Sea, where presented by the subspecies Babka gymnotrachelus macrophthalmus.
The racer goby inhabits but is non-indigenous in the rivers of the Baltic basin, including the Bug and Vistula. It was also introduced in the Middle Danube, in Hungary. Through the Danube River this fish species was introduced to the Rhine River, were it is occurred since 2010.
In the Dniester Estuary half of its diet consists of fish. The rest is a mix of crustaceans (Corophiidae) (29.6%), molluscs (Dreissena, Adacna, Monodacna) (12,5%) and polychaetes (Hypania invalida). In the Dnieper River near Kiev the diet consists of molluscs Dreissena sp., amphipods and sewage worms Tubifex tubifex.
External identifiers for Racer goby EOL 224378 ITIS 172070 NCBI 320567 WoRMS 126914 Also found in: FishBase
- ^ Smirnov A.I. (1986) Perch-likes (gobiids), scorpionfishes, flatfishes, clingfishes, anglerfishes [in:] Fauna of Ukraine, Vol. 8, No 5, Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 320 pp. (in Russian)
- ^ Stepien C.A., Tumeo M.A. (2006): Invasion genetics of Ponto-Caspian gobies in the Great Lakes: a “cryptic” species, absence of founder effects, and comparative risk analysis. Biological Invasions, 8: 61–78.
- ^ Neilson M.E., Stepien C.A. (2009) Escape from the Ponto-Caspian: Evolution and biogeography of an endemic goby species flock (Benthophilinae: Gobiidae: Teleostei). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 52(1): 84-102.
- ^ Danilkiewicz Z. (1996): Babka łysa (gołogłowa), Neogobius gymnotrachelus (Kessler, 1857) (Perciformes, Gobiidae) - nowy, gatunek w ichtiofaunie zlewiska Morza Bałtyckiego. Komunikaty Rybackie, 2: 27–29.
- ^ Kostrzewa J., Grabowski M., Zięba G. 2004. Nowe inwazyjne gatunki ryb w wodach Polski. Archives of Polish Fisheries 12 (suppl. 2): 21-34.
- ^ Jaroszewska M., Dabrowski K., Wilczynska B., Kakareko T. (2008) Structure of the gut of the racer goby Neogobius gymnotrachelus (Kessler, 1857). Journal of Fish Biology, Volume 72, Issue 7, Page 1773-1786, doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2008.01870.x
- ^ Guti G. (2004) First record of Racer Goby Neogobius gymnotrachelus (Pallas, 1811) in the Hungarian section of the Danube. Opusc. Zool. Budapest, 35: 83-84.
- ^ Borcherding, J., Gertzen, S., Staas, S. (2011). First record of Pontian racer goby, Babka gymnotrachelus (Gobiidae: Teleostei), in the River Rhine, Germany. Journal of Applied Ichtyology in press.
- ^ Strautman I.F. (1972) Pitaniye i pishchevyje vzaimootnoshenija bychkov (sem. Gobiidae) Dnestrovskogo limana. Vestnik Zoologii, 4: 35-38. (in Russian)
- Racer Goby Phylogeography
- Neogobius gymnotrachelus (Kessler, 1857) - Alien species in Poland
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre 1996. Babka gymnotrachelus. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Fishes of the waters of Ukraine
- Ponto-Caspian gobiid fishes invaded the Lower Rhine. Research Topic on Fish Ecology, University of Cologne
Fish About fish Anatomy
- Fish anatomy
- Ampullae of Lorenzini
- Dorsal fin
- Swim bladder
- Gill slit
- Lateral line
- Leydig's organ
- Mauthner cell
- Pharyngeal teeth
- Shark cartilage
- Shark tooth
- Weberian apparatus
- Digital Library
Reproduction Locomotion Behaviour Habitats Other types
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Round goby — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Monkey goby — Conservation status Least Concern ( … Wikipedia
Bighead goby — Conservation status Lea … Wikipedia
Neogobius gymnotrachelus — Taxobox name = Neogobius gymnotrachelus status = DD | status system = IUCN2.3 regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Actinopterygii ordo = Perciformes familia = Gobiidae genus = Neogobius species = N. gymnotrachelus binomial = Neogobius… … Wikipedia
Babka gymnotrachelus — Babka gymnotrachelus … Wikipedia Español
List of endangered animal species — This is a list of endangered animal species according to the World Conservation Union (IUCN) Red List. The list includes endangered species of the kingdom Animalia. NOTOC A* Acheilognathus elongatus * Acipenser Endangered * Acrocephalus… … Wikipedia
Tom Swift — is the young protagonist in several series of juvenile adventure novels which began in the early twentieth century and continues to the present. Each such series stars a hero named Tom Swift who is a genius inventor and whose breakthroughs in… … Wikipedia