- Decapitated (band)
Decapitated Origin Krosno, Poland Genres Technical death metal Years active 1996–2007
Labels Nuclear Blast, Earache, Metal Mind, Teichiku Associated acts Vader, Lux Occulta, Masachist Website www.decapitatedband.net Members Wacław Kiełtyka
Past members Witold Kiełtyka
Decapitated is a death metal band that formed in Krosno, Poland in 1996. The group comprises guitarist, founder and composer Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka, vocalist Rafał Piotrowski and Austrian drummer Kerim "Krimh" Lechner. Decapitated have gained recognition as one of the genre's most widely respected bands and one of the finest exponents of technical death metal. The band earned an international fan base in the underground music community, and became an innovating act in the modern death metal genre.
Vogg and his younger brother, drummer Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka, founded Decapitated in their mid-teens. Joined by vocalist Wojciech "Sauron" Wąsowicz and bassist Marcin "Martin" Rygiel, after releasing two demos, the band signed with Wicked World (subsidiary of Earache Records) and, in 2000, released their debut album, Winds of Creation. In 2002 and 2004 the band released the albums Nihility and The Negation, respectively. The band's ambitious fourth album, Organic Hallucinosis, was released in 2006 with a new vocalist Adrian "Covan" Kowanek.
In late 2007, the band was involved in an automobile accident. Vitek died at the age of 23 on November 2, 2007 of the injuries he suffered from the accident and Covan survived, but he slipped into a coma as a result. After a period of disbandment, Vogg decided to continue the band and reformed Decapitated with Piotrowski, Krimh and embarked on a tour in Europe, Australia and North America. The fifth album, Carnival Is Forever, was released on July 12, 2011.
Winds of Creation, Nihility and The Negation (1996–2004)
Decapitated was founded in Krosno, Poland in 1996, by guitarist Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka, who was 15 at the time, and his brother drummer Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka, who was 12 years old. One year later, Vocalist Wojciech "Sauron" Wąsowicz, 16, and bassist Marcin "Martin" Rygiel, 13, joined the band. Decapitated released its first demo, Cemeterial Gardens, in 1997 and its second demo, The Eye of Horus, in 1998. After signing to Earache Records subsidiary Wicked World, the band released its debut album, Winds of Creation, which included a cover version of Slayer's "Mandatory Suicide", and was produced by Piotr Wiwczarek from the Polish band Vader, in April 2000. The band toured with Vader in early 2001 in the United Kingdom. Allmusic states that "Decapitated have quickly gained recognition as one of Poland's, and even Europe's, finest exponents of ultra-technical death metal."
Decapitated's self-produced second album, Nihility, which was released in February 2002, fulfilled the high expectations that followed the well-received debut album. Nihility also included a cover version of Napalm Death's "Suffer the Children". Decapitated was chosen to perform at the Polish Ozzfest event in late May and toured in North America and Europe in August. Slawek and Vojtek Wieslawski produced the band's next album, The Negation, which was released in February 2004. The album received a positive response from the critics and was followed by a tour in Europe and the United States throughout 2004.
Organic Hallucinosis, Vitek's death and hiatus (2005–2008)
In mid-2005, Sauron announced his withdrawal from Decapitated, stating: "It was not an easy decision. However, I could reconcile the welfare of the band with my personal plans, and hence quitting appeared to be the best solution not hampering the evolution of Decapitated.(...) Moreover, another reason that contributed to my decision have been some health complications." The band chose Adrian "Covan" Kowanek, a previous member of Atrophia Red Sun, as his replacement and entered Hertz Studios in Bialystok in August to record their ambitious fourth album Organic Hallucinosis, which was released the following February. According to Allmusic, the band's musical change of direction on this album was "likely to polarize longtime Decapitated fans".
During the following tour in early 2006, Martin could not perform with the band due to military conscription issues and was shortly substituted by Richard Gulczynski, but joined again in February. During the year, Decapitated toured with American bands Suffocation, Six Feet Under, Fear Factory, and others. In June and July 2007, Decapitated played with Cephalic Carnage and others in the Summer Slaughter trek across the US. Later on, Martin departed from Decapitated to live with his family and to move to California.
On October 28, 2007 the band members were involved in an automobile accident that injured Vitek and Covan. Their tour bus collided with a truck carrying wood in Gomel, near the border from Russia to Belarus. Vitek died on November 2, 2007 at the age of 23 in a Russian hospital from the injuries. Covan slipped into a coma and was later moved to Poland. In 2008, Metal Mind Productions released the concert DVD Human's Dust.
Reunion and Carnival Is Forever (2009–present)
On March 8, 2009, after a period of disbandment, Vogg announced he was planning to continue the band and was searching for a new drummer and vocalist. Covan was unable to continue with Decapitated due to the slow improvement of his condition. In early 2009, Vogg participated on recording of the guitars for Vader's album Necropolis and continued with the band on a tour in support of the album, starting in September.
In mid-2009 Vogg stated: "It has been the hardest thing for me to move on without Vitek by my side, but he would have wanted me to continue with the band. Finally, I have found some great musicians who can continue the work of Vitek and Covan." "There's no sense in stopping this amazing thing we built up so many years ago together with Vitek, Sauron, Martin and Covan."
On July 31, 2009, the Austrian drummer Kerim "Krimh" Lechner of Thorns of Ivy joined Decapitated. On November 20, 2009, the new line-up was completed with the vocalist Rafał Piotrowski of the band Ketha and bassist Filip "Heinrich" Hałucha of Vesania and Masachist. Decapitated continued with support of Nuclear Blast record label and Hard Impact Music management. The band toured in United Kingdom in February 2010 as well as in April and May in Australia, New Zealand and European festivals and the Summer Slaughter tour in United States in mid-2010.
The band entered RG Studio in Gdańsk on February 9, to begin recording their fifth studio album entitled Carnival Is Forever. The album was produced by Vogg; while mixing and drums production was done by Swedish producer Daniel Bergstrand, who previously worked with Behemoth and Meshuggah among others. Heinrich departed from Decapitated after the recording in order to concentrate on Vesania, and Carnival Is Forever was released on July 12, 2011.
On November 1, 2011, the band survived a plane crash.
Musical style and critical reception
Decapitated's music is composed by the "mastermind" of the band, Vogg, who co-worked with Vitek while writing prior to his death. Decapitated became known for its songwriting and technical instrumental approach at an extraordinarily young age and earned an international fan base in the underground music community. In the review of Decapitated's debut album, Allmusic said "the band has a seemingly effortless understanding and command of ... their instruments and ... the songwriting is extremely solid; even in the first listen." The characteristics of Nihility and Negation are "powerful, blastbeat-filled drumming, dissonant yet memorable guitar riffs, and inventive guitar solos" and substantially high production quality. In the review of The Negation, Metal Hammer states that "Sauron is one of the most capable vocalists on the scene". With Organic Halucinosis, Decapitated focused on non-traditional death metal aesthetics, more complex songwriting and grooves, and polyrhythmic approach; Covan contributed more versatile vocals. A notable element of groove is present in Decapitated's death metal sound.
Decapitated's releases are some of death metal's most significant albums of the early 21st century. Winds of Creation was "responsible for re-igniting a stagnating death metal scene" and Organic Hallucinosis proved to be substantially influential in the subsequent development of the genre. According to Kerrang!, Decapitated have released "classic albums; (...) that have turned these youthful Poles into one of the genre's most widely respected bands. Tomas Haake, the drummer of the Swedish band Meshuggah, commented the death of Vitek: "The metal community has lost one of the most talented and skillful drummers of our time! [...] Vitek was a true talent and drummer genius."
- Current members
- Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka – guitars (1996−present)
- Kerim "Krimh" Lechner – drums (2009−present)
- Rafał "Rasta" Piotrowski – vocals (2009−present)
- Former members
- Live musicians
- Jacek Hiro – guitars (2000−2004)
- Richard Gulczynski – bass guitar (2006)
- Konrad Rossa – bass guitar (2011−present)
Decapitated in 2010
- Studio albums
- Winds of Creation (2000)
- Nihility (2002)
- The Negation (2004)
- Organic Hallucinosis (2006)
- Carnival Is Forever (2011)
- Video Albums
- Human's Dust (2008)
- Live at the Rescue Rooms (2009)
- Live Albums
- Live Nottingham Rescue Rooms 20th Dec 2004 (2009)
- Cemeterial Gardens (1997)
- The Eye of Horus (1998)
- ^ a b Lawson, Dom (February 2006). "Heads Above The Rest [Polish Destroyers Deliver The Death Metal Goods Again]". Kerrang!. "Decapitated have already released three classic albums; superbly conceived and executed eruptions of technical brilliance and razor-sharp songwriting that have turned these youthful Poles into one of the genre's most widely respected bands. Remarkably, Organic Hallucinosis takes that knack for producing extreme music with integrity and bagfuls of hooks even closer to perfection"
- ^ a b c Eduardo Rivadavia. "Decapitated Biography". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p420031. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ a b c Decapitated's 'Winds Of Creation', 'Organic Hallucinosis' Released On Vinyl For First Time - July 20, 2010, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ a b c "Decapitated Biography". MusicMight. http://www.musicmight.com/artist/poland/krosno/decapitated. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ a b c d Matthias Sheaks. "Winds of Creation". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r471282. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- ^ Everley, Dave (February 2002). "Pole Position [Decapitated: Eastern Europeans make a bold bid for the death metal Crown]". Kerrang!.
- ^ a b Jason D. Taylor. "Nihility". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r573265. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- ^ a b Lawson, Dom (March 2002). "Death Becomes Them". Kerrang!.
- ^ Ling, Dave (December 2002). "Slice And Dice". Metal Hammer.
- ^ a b Dome, Malcolm (February 2004). "The Negation review". Metal Hammer.
- ^ Lawson, Dom (March 2004). "Heads Will Roll [Decapitated Decimate The Competition... Again]". Kerrang!.
- ^ Geist, Brandon (March 2004). "The Negation review". Revolver.
- ^ Decapitated, Rotting Christ, Thus Defiled To Tour The U.K. - Jan. 22, 2004, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ Decapitated To Tour U.S. With Cannibal Corpse - Apr. 29, 2004, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ Decapitated Part Ways With Singer, Announce Replacement - July 4, 2005, Blabbermout.net
- ^ a b Eduardo Rivadavia. "Organic Halucinosis". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r816830. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- ^ Decapitated: Bassist Martin Rejoins The Fold - Feb. 20, 2006, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ Decapitated Announce New Bassist - Jan. 9, 2006, Blabbermout.net
- ^ Cephalic Carnage Completes Work On New Video - May 16, 2007, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ Former Decapitated Bassist: 'My Thoughts Are With The Guys And Their Families' - Oct. 30, 2007, Blabbermouth
- ^ Bonazelli, Andrew (September 2006). "Stop Loss". Kerrang!.
- ^ Update: Decapitated Vocalist, Drummer Injured In Road Crash - Oct. 30, 2007, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ "Decapitated Singer Moved To Polish Hospital, Is In 'Stable' Condition - Nov. 6, 2007". Blabbermouth.net. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=84238. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ "Decapitated Guitarist: 'We Are On Indefinite Hiatus For Now' - Aug. 12, 2008". Blabbermouth.net. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=102663. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ Greg Pratt. "Human's Dust review". Exclaim!. http://exclaim.ca/motionreviews/generalreview.aspx?csid2=801&fid1=31959&csid1=124. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ Decapitated: First-Ever DVD Due In June, Mar. 14, 2008; Blabbermouth
- ^ Decapitated Guitarist: 'We Are On Indefinite Hiatus For Now' - Aug. 12, 2008, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ "Decapitated's Vogg Seeking New Drummer, Singer - Mar. 9, 2009". Blabbermouth.net. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115742. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ a b c Decapitated Announces First Shows In Three Years - Oct. 20, 2009, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ "Vader: New Album Track Listing Revealed - Apr. 16, 2009". Blabbermouth.net. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=118269. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- ^ a b Decapitated: New Lineup Announced - Nov. 20, 2009, Blabbermouth
- ^ Decapitated: New Drummer Announced - July 30, 2009, Blabbermouth
- ^ New member in the band, Decapitated at MySpace
- ^ Exclusive rebirth UK tour, announce new members, Decapitated at MySpace
- ^ Decapitated, The Faceless, All Shall Perish Confirmed For Summer Slaughter Tour - Apr. 15, 2010, Blabbermouth
- ^ UK Tour 2010!, Decapitated at MySpace
- ^ Decapitated To Enter Studio Next Month - Jan. 21, 2011, blabbermouth.net
- ^ Decapitated Recording New Album; Photos, Report Available - Feb. 14, 2011, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ Eksperymenty Decapitated. Wkrótce nowy album!. interia.pl. January 21, 2011. (Polish)
Decapitated: Poważny cios. interia.pl. Ferburary 14, 2011. (Polish)
Decapitated w studiu: "Naprawdę świetnie". interia.pl. Ferburary 20, 2011. (Polish)
Decapitated jak czarne burzowe chmury. interia.pl. Ferbruary 28, 2011. (Polish)
Decapitated: Przestrzeń, głębia i pszczoły szatana. interia.pl. March 14, 2011. (Polish)
- ^ Decapitated podany ze smakiem.interia.pl. July 4, 2011. (Polish)
- ^ Decapitated: 'Carnival Is Forever' Track Listing Unveiled - May 13, 2011, Blabbermouth
- ^ http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/holy-crap-decapitate-survive-plane-crash/
- ^ Decapitated Interview, Metal Injection, April 15, 2008
- ^ Decapitated Guitarist: 'It Wasn't An Easy Decision To Continue The Band Without My Brother' - Nov. 21, 2009, Blabbermouth.net
- ^ a b William York. "Negation". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r680993. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- ^ Jill Mikkelson. "Organic Halucinosis". Exclaim!. http://exclaim.ca/musicreviews/generalreview.aspx?csid2=846&fid1=25055&csid1=79. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- ^ Geist, Brandon (May 2004). "Decapitated". Revolver.
- ^ Land, Pippa (March 2004). "Nihility review". Metal Hammer.
- ^ "Meshuggah's Haake: The Future Will Be A Sadder Place Without Vitek's Drumming - Nov. 4, 2007". Blabbermouth.net. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=84124. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
Studio albums Compilation albums VideosHuman's Dust CategoriesAlbums · Members
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Decapitated — Infobox musical artist Name = Decapitated Img capt = Left to right: Covan, Vitek and Vogg in 2006. Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Krosno, Poland Genre = Technical death metal Death metal Years active = 1996–present (on indefinite… … Wikipedia
Dies Irae (band) — For the Devil Doll album, see Dies Irae (album). For the Latin hymm Dies Irae, see Dies Irae. Dies Irae Mauser, 2004 Background information … Wikipedia
Molesting the Decapitated — Studio album by Devourment Released May 1999 Genre Death metal Length 35:26 … Wikipedia
Devourment band members — Devourment is a death metal band from Dallas, Texas. It has disbanded and reformed three times, resulting in four formations throughout its history; one from 1995–1999, once during 2001, once during 2002, and the current formation, starting in… … Wikipedia
Stanford Band — The Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band (LSJUMB) is the student marching band of Stanford University. Billing itself as The World s Largest Rock and Roll Band, it performs at sporting events, student activities, and other functions.… … Wikipedia
Behemoth (band) — Infobox Musical artist Name = Behemoth Img capt = Behemoth circa 2004 – Orion, Nergal, and Inferno Img size = 250 Landscape = Yes Background = group or band Origin = Gdańsk, Poland Genre = Black metal [ Demigod review at… … Wikipedia
Detonation (band) — This article is about the metal band. For the combustion process, see Detonation. Detonation Origin Utrecht, Netherlands Genres Death metal/Thrash metal (early), melodic death metal (later) Years active 1997–pres … Wikipedia
Desecration (band) — Desecration Desecration s official logo Background information Origin Newport, South Wales … Wikipedia
Vader (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Vader Img capt = Vader performing live at Metalmania 2008 Img size = 250 Landscape = yes Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Olsztyn, Poland Years active = 1986–present Label = Regain Mystic Productions… … Wikipedia
Dam (band) — Dam are an English extreme metal band from London, formed in 1997. The band s music, heavily influenced by early nineties death metal, can be characterised as a fusion of death metal, black metal, and thrash metal, with some hints of progressive… … Wikipedia