- Decay-accelerating factor
CD55 molecule, decay accelerating factor for complement (Cromer blood group)
PDB rendering based on 1h03.
Available structures PDB , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , Identifiers Symbols External IDs GeneCards: Gene Ontology Molecular function • Cellular component •
Biological process •
Sources: Amigo / QuickGO RNA expression pattern Orthologs Species Human Mouse Entrez Ensembl UniProt RefSeq (mRNA) RefSeq (protein) Location (UCSC) PubMed search
Decay accelerating factor is a 70 kDa membrane protein that regulates the complement system on the cell surface. It prevents the assembly of the C3bBb complex (the C3-convertase of the alternative pathway) or accelerates the disassembly of preformed convertase, thus blocking the formation of the membrane attack complex.
This glycoprotein is broadly distributed among hematopoietic and non-hematopoietic cells. It is a determinant for the Cromer blood group system.
DAF is used as a receptor by some coxsackieviruses and other enteroviruses. Recombinant soluble DAF-Fc has been tested in mice as an anti-enterovirus therapy for heart damage; however, the human enterovirus that was tested binds much more strongly to human DAF than to mouse or rat DAF. Echoviruses and coxsackie B viruses that use human decay-accelerating factor (DAF) as a receptor do not bind the rodent analogues of DAF. and DAF-Fc has yet to be tested in humans.
- ^ Medof ME, Lublin DM, Holers VM, Ayers DJ, Getty RR, Leykam JF, Atkinson JP, Tykocinski ML (April 1987). "Cloning and characterization of cDNAs encoding the complete sequence of decay-accelerating factor of human complement". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 84 (7): 2007–11. doi:10.1073/pnas.84.7.2007. PMC 304572. PMID 2436222. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=304572.
- ^ Karnauchow TM, Tolson DL, Harrison BA, Altman E, Lublin DM, Dimock K (August 1996). "The HeLa cell receptor for enterovirus 70 is decay-accelerating factor (CD55)". J. Virol. 70 (8): 5143–52. PMC 190469. PMID 8764022. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=190469.
- ^ Yanagawa B, Spiller OB, Choy J, Luo H, Cheung P, Zhang HM, Goodfellow IG, Evans DJ, Suarez A, Yang D, McManus BM (January 2003). "Coxsackievirus B3-associated myocardial pathology and viral load reduced by recombinant soluble human decay-accelerating factor in mice". Lab. Invest. 83 (1): 75–85. PMID 12533688.
- ^ Spiller OB, Goodfellow IG, Evans DJ, Almond JW, Morgan BP (January 2000). "Echoviruses and coxsackie B viruses that use human decay-accelerating factor (DAF) as a receptor do not bind the rodent analogues of DAF". J. Infect. Dis. 181 (1): 340–3. doi:10.1086/315210. PMID 10608785.
- Selinka HC, Wolde A, Sauter M, et al. (2004). "Virus-receptor interactions of coxsackie B viruses and their putative influence on cardiotropism.". Med. Microbiol. Immunol. 193 (2-3): 127–31. doi:10.1007/s00430-003-0193-y. PMID 12920584.
- Mikesch JH, Schier K, Roetger A, et al. (2007). "The expression and action of decay-accelerating factor (CD55) in human malignancies and cancer therapy.". Cell. Oncol. 28 (5-6): 223–32. PMID 17167176.
- MeSH Decay-Accelerating+Factor
- Cromer blood group system at BGMUT Blood Group Antigen Gene Mutation Database at NCBI, NIH
PDB gallery Proteins: complement system (C, L, A) Activators/enzymesEarlyMiddleLate Inhibitors Complement receptors
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Decay accelerating factor — (CD55) is a 70 kDa membrane protein that regulates the complement system on the cell surface. It prevents the assembly of the C3bBb complex (the C3 convertase of the alternative pathway) or accelerates the disassembly of preformed convertase,… … Wikipedia
decay accelerating factor — (DAF) a protein of most blood cells as well as endothelial and epithelial cells, CD55; it protects the cell membranes from attack by autologous complement, either by preventing assembly of convertase on the cell surface or by accelerating its… … Medical dictionary
decay accelerating factor — Plasma protein that regulates complement cascade by blocking the formation of the C3bBb complex (the C3 convertase of the alternate pathway). Widely distributed in tissues but deficient in paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria … Dictionary of molecular biology
Factor H — Complement factor H PDB rendering based on 1haq … Wikipedia
Factor D — complement factor D (adipsin) Factor D in Homo sapiens  Identifiers Symbol CFD … Wikipedia
Complement factor B — PDB rendering based on 1dle … Wikipedia
Complement factor I — Available structures PDB PDB … Wikipedia
DAF — decay accelerating factor; delayed auditory feedback; drug adulterated food * * * decay accelerating factor … Medical dictionary
DAF — • decay accelerating factor; • delayed auditory feedback; • drug adulterated food … Dictionary of medical acronyms & abbreviations
Alternative complement pathway — The classical and alternative complement pathways. Alternative pathway … Wikipedia