- H2O: Just Add Water
H2O: Just Add Water Genre Children, teen, fantasy Created by Jonathan M. Shiff Directed by Colin Budds
Starring Phoebe Tonkin
Claire Holt (series 1–2)
Indiana Evans (series 3)
Luke Mitchell (series 3)
Theme music composer Shelley Rosenberg Opening theme "No Ordinary Girl"
--Ellie Henderson (series 1)
--Kate Alexa (series 2)
--Indiana Evans (series 3)
Composer(s) Ric Formosa
Country of origin Australia Language(s) English No. of series 3 No. of episodes 78 (List of episodes) Production Executive producer(s) Jonathan M. Shiff
Kay Ben M'Rad (series 1)
Julia Adams (series 1–2)
Producer(s) Jonathan M. Shiff Editor(s) Geoff Lamb
Location(s) Gold Coast, Queensland Cinematography Bruce Phillips (series 1)
Zenon Sawko (series 2)
Camera setup Single-camera Running time 23–25 minutes Production company(s) Jonathan M. Shiff Productions Distributor ZDF Enterprises Broadcast Original channel Network Ten Picture format PAL (576i); HDTV (720p/1080i) Audio format Surround sound Original run 7 July 2006– 16 April 2010 Chronology Related shows Mako: Island of Secrets (spin-off) External links Website
H2O: Just Add Water, also known as H2O, is an Australian television programme for children, pre-teens and teenagers, that is filmed on location at Sea World and other locations on the Gold Coast. It first screened on Australia's Network Ten and later on Disney Channel Australia, and runs in syndication on channels in over 120 countries and has a worldwide audience of more than 250 million. The show's premise revolves around three teenage girls facing everyday teen problems with an added twist: they're mermaids with powers over water. The theme song "No Ordinary Girl" is performed by Ellie Henderson in series one, by Kate Alexa in series two and by Indiana Evans in series three.
Only two series with a total of 52 episodes were originally planned, but due to popular demand, a third series was filmed. Series one premiered in July 2006, followed by series two in September 2007. Series three first aired in the United Kingdom in October 2009, with the Australian premiere occurring in May 2010.
Emma Gilbert, Cleo Sertori and Rikki Chadwick are three sixteen-year-old Australian teenage girls who find themselves stranded on the mysterious Mako Island. They eventually find themselves in a pool under a dormant volcano just as a full moon appears overhead, bathing the pool in light. The girls are rescued and return to "normal life", but soon discover their lives have become anything but normal: ten seconds after contact with water, they transform into mermaids with supernatural powers over water. The trio enlist the help of Cleo's friend Lewis McCartney, who attempts to discover the secret behind their transformations.
Everyday situations, such as bathing and rain, become tricky as the girls struggle to cope with their newfound abilities, which have many advantages and disadvantages, while also trying to keep them a secret from everyone else.
Series two introduces Charlotte Watsford, who eventually gains mermaid powers as well and becomes the villain of the show. Series three sees the arrival of Bella Hartley, who has been a mermaid since the age of nine.
Actor Character Main cast
Claire Holt Emma Gilbert 1–2 Phoebe Tonkin Cleo Sertori 1–3 Cariba Heine Rikki Chadwick 1–3 Indiana Evans Isabella "Bella" Hartley 3 Angus McLaren Lewis McCartney 1–3 3 Luke Mitchell Will Benjamin 3 Burgess Abernethy Zane Bennett 1–3 Brittany Byrnes Charlotte Watsford 2 Craig Horner Ash Dove 2
- Claire Holt as Emma Gilbert, who has a confident and responsible, if somewhat controlling, personality. She has the ability to freeze water, and later develops the ability to manipulate clouds, ice and snow. Holt appears in series one and two, but left the show to film Messengers 2: The Scarecrow.
- Phoebe Tonkin as Cleo Sertori, who at first is shy and a little awkward, but eventually becomes outgoing and personable. She is able to manipulate and mould the form of water, as well as increase or decrease the amount of water present. She is later able to control the wind. Tonkin appears in all series of the show.
- Cariba Heine as Rikki Chadwick, the new girl in town at the start of the show, who tends to be aloof and rebellious. Her power is the ability to manipulate heat in water, ranging from warming to boiling, which eventually grows to allow control over fire and lightning. Heine appears in all series of the show.
- Angus McLaren as Lewis McCartney, Cleo's childhood friend who is academically gifted and thinks of himself as a scientist. He finds out their secret and he works to understand why the transformations occur. After appearing in both series one and two, McLaren left the show during the third series to begin filming Packed to the Rafters.
- Brittany Byrnes as Charlotte Watsford, the main antagonist of series two who enjoys the arts and sciences, but is controlling and manipulative. She causes conflict amongst the girls and steals Cleo's boyfriend. Upon transforming into a mermaid, she obtains all of the girls' collective powers, but permanently loses her abilities after a confrontation with the trio and does not return in series three.
- Indiana Evans as Isabella "Bella" Hartley, the new girl in series three. She is a singer and performs at the juice bar. She became a mermaid in the sea caves of Ireland when she was nine, and has the power to change water into gelatine and a crystalline substance. During the series, she and Will develop feelings for each other, and eventually become a couple.
- Burgess Abernethy as Zane Bennett, who is the vain and arrogant local bad boy. In series one, he becomes obsessed with discovering the identity of the mermaids after catching a glimpse of one. Later, he develops an on-again, off-again relationship with Rikki that is permanently broken in series three.
- Luke Mitchell as Will Benjamin, a skilled swimmer and free-diver who is introduced in series three. While exploring Mako Island, he finds the moon pool and is attacked by the water, causing him to hunt for the cause of the strange event. He is Bella's love interest, becomes closer to the girls once he discovers they are mermaids.
- Craig Horner as Ash Dove, a keen equestrian and riding coach who appears during series two. He forms a relationship with Emma, but does not learn of her being a mermaid until the series finale. Horner does not appear in series three due to filming Legend of the Seeker.
There are three different types of mermaid tails used on the show: custom-fitted tails that the girls swim in, a "floppy tail" used for stationary shots, and a "hard tail" for stunts. The custom costumes took six months to build, with the tails and tops made from body casts and comprising individually hand-crafted scales. The finished product weighs between 12 and 15 kilograms (26 and 33 lb). Inside the tail are leg straps where the girls are strapped up and then zipped up. Once in costume, the girls have to be lifted into the water. Attempts were made to minimise the on-screen visibility of the zips on the tails, such as adding extra scales and crafting a ridge of material around the length of the zip. The tail fin itself was designed with a foot pedal to assist the actresses with swimming. This, along with the fin, adds some 60 centimetres (2 ft) to the length of the costume.
Series one and series two have been released on DVD in Region 4 PAL format. Series one comprises six individual DVD sets released between September 2007 and November 2008, and a complete series compilation released in June 2009. Series two comprises three individual sets released between February and September 2009, and a complete series compilation released in November 2009.
Title Release Date Episodes H2O: Just Add Water:
Series One: Volume 1
12 September 2007 1."Metamorphosis", 2."Pool Party", 3."Catch of the Day", 4."Party Girls"
- Special features: series one trailer, profiles of main characters
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series One: Volume 2
12 September 2007 5."Something Fishy", 6."Young Love", 7."Moon Spell", 8."The Denman Affair"
- Special features: photo gallery of series one
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series One: Volume 3
5 March 2008 9."Dangerous Waters", 10."Sink or Swim", 11."The Camera Never Lies", 12."The Siren Effect"
- Special features: character profiles of Emma, Cleo, Rikki, Lewis and Zane
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series One: Volume 4
7 May 2008 13."Shipwrecked", 14."Surprise!", 15."The Big Chill", 16."Lovesick"
- Special feature: H2O quiz game
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series One: Volume 5
9 July 2008 17."Under the Weather", 18."Bad Moon Rising", 19."Hurricane Angela", 20."Hook, Line and Sinker", 21."Red Herring" H2O: Just Add Water:
Series One: Volume 6
5 November 2008 22."Fish Out of Water", 23."In Too Deep", 24."Love Potion #9", 25."Dr Danger", 26."A Twist in the Tail" H2O: Just Add Water:
Complete Series One
2 June 2009 All episodes of series one
- Special features: H2O quiz game; character profiles of Emma, Cleo, Rikki, Lewis and Zane; photo gallery of series one
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series 2: Volume 1
8 February 2009 1."Stormy Weather", 2."Control", 3."The One That Got Away", 4."Fire and Ice", 5."Hocus Pocus", 6."Pressure Cooker", 7."In Hot Water", 8."Wrong Side of the Tracks"
- Special features: series one telemovie, series two trailer
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series 2: Volume 2
2 June 2009 9."Riding For a Fall", 10."Missed the Boat", 11."In Over Our Heads", 12."Fish Fever", 13."Moonwalker", 14."Get Off My Tail", 15."Irresistible", 16."Double Trouble", 17."Moonstruck"
- Special features: photo gallery
H2O: Just Add Water:
Series 2: Volume 3
2 September 2009 18."The Heat is On", 19."The Gracie Code (Part 1)", 20."The Gracie Code (Part 2)", 21."And Then There Were Four", 22."Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble", 23."Reckless", 24."Three's Company", 25."Sea Change", 26."Unfathomable"
- Special features: behind the scenes special
H2O: Just Add Water:
Complete Series Two
4 November 2009 All episodes of series two
- Special features: series one telemovie, series two trailer, photo gallery, behind-the-scenes special
An official soundtrack for series two of the show, titled H2O: Just Add Water and recorded by singer Kate Alexa, was first released on 10 September 2007 in Australia on Liberation Records and has since been made available worldwide. Its lead track, "No Ordinary Girl", is the theme song for the show.
A second soundtrack, featuring music from series three, was first released on iTunes on 17 February 2011 and later worldwide during March 2011. It is also titled H2O: Just Add Water and was recorded by actress Indiana Evans.
Several children's books have been released by Nickelodeon UK:
- No Ordinary Girl – 2 February 2009
- Living with Secrets – 2 February 2009
- Fishy Business – 5 May 2009
- A Sleepover Tail – 6 July 2009
- Sequins for Sea Queens – 7 January 2010
- First Crush – 29 April 2010
- Moon Spell – 5 August 2010
- Testing Times – 6 January 2011
- Hot Stuff – 9 June 2011
- In Too Deep – 4 August 2011
- Mermaid Emotions – 27 October 2011
- Siren Status - 2 February 2012
Awards and nominations
- 2008 Nickelodeon Australia Kids' Choice Award for "Best TV Drama Show"
- 2009 Logie Award for "Most Outstanding Children's Program"
- 2007 Logie Award for "Most Outstanding Children's Program"
- 2007 Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Award for "Best TV Show"
- 2008 Logie Award for "Most Outstanding Children's Program"
- 2009 Nickelodeon Australia Kids' Choice Award for "Fave Drama Show"
- ^ a b "'H2O – Just Add Water' nominated for Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Award Series" (Press release). LifePR. 27 September 2007. http://www.lifepr.de/pressemeldungen/zdf-enterprises-gmbh/boxid-18575.html. Retrieved 7 October 2007.
- ^ Tucker-Evans, Anooska; Sourris, Marie-Christine (3 May 2009). "Rebecca Gibney feels like a million dollars for Logies bid". The Courier-Mail. http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25417879-953,00.html. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- ^ "New telemovies, mini-series at Nine, ABC". 24 July 2011. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/07/new-telemovies-mini-series-at-nine-abc.html. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- ^ "TV Series Index". http://www.australiantelevision.net/inproduction.html. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- ^ Redmond, Renee (21 January 2009). "Actor quits Coast TV show". Gold Coast. http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/01/21/41331_gold-coast-news.html. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- ^ "H2O Just Add Water – The Music". iTunes. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/h2o-just-add-water-the-music/id421094852. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- ^ "H2O: Just Add Water". WaterfrontRecords.com. http://www.waterfrontrecords.com/product/77383. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- ^ "H2O: Just Add Water Books". SimonandSchuster.co.uk. http://series.simonandschuster.co.uk/H2O-JUST-ADD-WATER/books. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- ^ "KCA 2008: Winners". Nickelodeon.com.au. http://kca.nickelodeon.com.au/. Retrieved 11 October 2008.
- ^ "51st Annual TV WEEK Logie Awards winners". TV Week. May 2009. http://tvweek.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=795121. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- ^ "2007 TV Week Logie Awards: Most Outstanding Children's Program". Yahoo7.com.au. Archived from the original on 21 October 2007. http://www.webcitation.org/5SlOP1U52.
- ^ "Logie win a boost for Albany". Albany Weekender. 5 August 2008. http://albany.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/logie-win-a-boost-for-albany/766375.aspx. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- ^ Knox, David (20 September 2009). "2009 Kid's Choice Awards: Nominees". TV Tonight. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/09/2009-kids-choice-awards-nominees.html. Retrieved 11 October 2009.
- H2O: Just Add Water – Official website
- H2O: Just Add Water – ZDF Enterprises promotional website
- H2O: Just Add Water – Channel Ten website
- H2O: Just Add Water – Nick UK website
- H2O: Just Add Water at the Australian Television Information Archive
- H2O: Just Add Water at the Internet Movie Database
- H2O: Just Add Water at TV.com
SNICK, TEENick and other primetime Nickelodeon television series 1989–1994Aaahh!!! Real Monsters · The Adventures of Pete & Pete · Are You Afraid of the Dark? · Clarissa Explains It All · Doug · Hey Dude · My Brother and Me · The Ren & Stimpy Show · Rocko's Modern Life · Roundhouse · Rugrats · Salute Your Shorts · All That · The Secret World of Alex Mack · Welcome Freshmen 1995–2003The Amanda Show · The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius · Animorphs · As Told by Ginger · Cousin Skeeter · Invader Zim · The Journey of Allen Strange · KaBlam! · Kenan & Kel · The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo · Space Cases · 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd · All Grown Up! · The Brothers Garcia · Caitlin's Way · My Life as a Teenage Robot · The Nick Cannon Show · Noah Knows Best · Romeo! · Taina 2004–2011 Currently running UpcomingHow to Rock · The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
H2O: Just Add Water — H2O (série télévisée) Pour les articles homonymes, voir eau (homonymie). H2O Logo de la série H2O Titre origi … Wikipédia en Français
H2O: Just Add Water — Este artículo o sección necesita una revisión de ortografía y gramática. Puedes colaborar editándolo (lee aquí sugerencias para mejorar tu ortografía). Cuando se haya corregido, borra este aviso por favor … Wikipedia Español
List of H2O: Just Add Water episodes — The following is an episode list for the Australian television show H2O: Just Add Water, which airs on Network Ten, Disney Channel Australia, Nickelodeon, Nickelodeon UK and other television networks worldwide. Series one premiered in Australia… … Wikipedia
Episodios de H2O: Just Add Water — Anexo:Episodios de H2O: Just Add Water Saltar a navegación, búsqueda La lista a continuación es una lista de episodios de la serie australiana H2O: Just Add Watertransmitida por nine network. También conocida en español como H2O Sirenas del Mar,… … Wikipedia Español
H20 just add water — H2O (série télévisée) Pour les articles homonymes, voir eau (homonymie). H2O Logo de la série H2O Titre origi … Wikipédia en Français
H2O: Просто добавь воды — H2O: Just Add Water … Википедия
H2O: Просто добавь воды. Список серий телесериала — Содержание 1 Эпизоды 2 Обзор сезонов 3 Список серий 3.1 … Википедия
H2O: Просто добавь воды: Кино — H2O: Просто добавь воды:В кино H2O: Just Add Water: The Movie Жанр(ы) Фэнтези,приключения Продюсер(ы) Джонатан Шифф Кей Бен М рад Джоанна Вернер Режиссёр(ы) Джеффри Уолкер Колин Баддс Сценарист(ы) … Википедия
H2O: Просто добавь воды: Теперь их четверо — H2O: Just Add Water: And Then There Were Four Жанр(ы) Фэнтези,приключения Продюсер(ы) Джонатан Шифф Кей Бен М рад Джоанна Вернер Режиссёр(ы) Джеффри Уолкер Колин Баддс … Википедия
H2O - Plötzlich Meerjungfrau — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel: H2O – Plötzlich Meerjungfrau Originaltitel: H2O: Just Add Water Produktionsland: Australien Produktionsjahr(e): 2006 Produzent: Jonathan M. Shiff Productions … Deutsch Wikipedia