- Charles Wintzer Building
Charles Wintzer BuildingFront and side of the building
Location: 202 W. Auglaize St., Wapakoneta, Ohio Coordinates: Coordinates: Built: 1872 Architectural style: Italianate Governing body: Private NRHP Reference#: 10000455 Added to NRHP: July 8, 2010
The Charles Wintzer Building is a historic brick commercial building in downtown Wapakoneta, Ohio, United States. Built in 1872 at the intersection of Auglaize and Blackhoof Streets, it has always been primarily an industrial building. It was declared a historic site in 2010.
One of the area's first pioneers, Charles Wintzer, founded a tannery in 1848. Concentrating on the manufacture of leather products, the Charles Wintzer Tanning Company expanded through the purchase of a similar local company in 1862, and it was incorporated in 1898. By 1905, its annual output was 2,500 sidesa[›] of leather; however, in that year, the company made a fundamental change in its business model. Instead of operating as a tannery, the firm moved to retailing hides to other tanneries and buying and selling various byproducts of animal processing. Nevertheless, it remained in the Wintzer family; it was re-incorporated as G.A. Wintzer & Son in 1920. As the company expanded into other animal products during and after the 1920s, it built factories outside of Wapakoneta, but it continued to use the old tannery at Auglaize and Blackhoof for manufacturing and as its corporate headquarters.
Built in 1872, the Wintzer Building was originally the company's primary tannery. As well as serving as an industrial facility, it was also built as a home; the Wintzers operated their business on the first story and lived on the second story. Its architecture is that of warehouses along the Miami and Erie Canal; although the Wintzers were Germans and built their home-and-office building in a German style, it includes distinct Italianate elements. Although the building had been converted into factory and corporate office space by the late 1970s, this was a relatively recent transition; the second floor remained a residence until at least 1969.
On July 8, 2010, the Charles Wintzer Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, primarily because of its well-preserved historic architecture. In nominating the building for inclusion on the Register, the Ohio Historical Society concentrated on its place as an example of late nineteenth-century German architecture and on its combination of residential and industrial space under the same roof. Also important to this designation was its connection with G.A. Wintzer & Son, which still owns the building; as the oldest locally-owned business operating in Auglaize County, the Wintzer Company is significant in local history. As the building has been constantly used as a factory by six generations of Wintzers, it is of significant importance in the history of Wapakoneta and the surrounding area.
- ^ a b c Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 7/06/10 through 7/09/10, National Park Service, 2010-07-16. Accessed 2010-08-05.
- ^ a b c d Tangeman, Jennifer. "Wintzer building gets historic recognition". Wapakoneta Daily News, 2010-07-24, 1/5.
- ^ a b c Auglaize County Historical Society. A History of Auglaize County Ohio. Defiance: Hubbard, 1979, 108.
- ^ Williamson, C.W. History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County. Columbus: Linn and Sons, 1905, 615.
- ^ Wintzer Building Listed on National Register of Historic Places, Ohio Historical Society, 2010-07-19. Accessed 2010-08-04.
- ^ "Side." Def. 9b. Oxford English Dictionary. Online ed. June 2010.
National Register of Historic Places in Auglaize County, Ohio National Historic Landmark Historic district
Wapakoneta Commercial Historic District
Auglaize County Courthouse | Blume High School | Adolph Boesel House | Julius Boesel House | Egypt Catholic Church and Rectory | First Presbyterian Church of Wapakoneta | H.E. Fledderjohann House, Doctor's Office and Summer Kitchen | Fort Amanda Site | The Fountain Hotel | Glynnwood Catholic Church | Holy Rosary Catholic Church | William Luelleman House | Minster Elementary School | John H. Nichols House | Hugh T. Rinehart House | Round Barn | St. Augustine Catholic Church | St. John Catholic Church and Parish Hall | St. Joseph Catholic Church and School | Uniopolis Town Hall | Dr. Issac Elmer Williams House and Office | Charles Wintzer Building
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Register of Historic Places listings in Auglaize County, Ohio — Location of Auglaize County in Ohio This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Auglaize County, Ohio. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places… … Wikipedia
Miami and Erie Canal Deep Cut — Miami and Erie Canal, Deep Cut U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Minster Elementary School — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Dr. Issac Elmer Williams House and Office — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia