nomcommune=Remiremont | région=Lorraine
maire=Jean-Paul Didier |mandat=
Communauté de communes de la Porte des Hautes-Vosges
longitude=6.59055555556 |latitude=48.0175 |alt moy=400 m |alt mini=379 m
alt maxi=762 m
Remiremont is a town and commune in eastern
France, in the "département" of Vosges. Population (1999): 8,538 ("Romarimontains").
Remiremont is located on the Moselle, close to its confluence with the
Moselotte, 25 km southeast of Épinal. Remiremont is surrounded by forest-clad mountains.
The abbey church, consecrated in 1051, has a crypt of the 11th century in which are the tombs of some of the abbesses, but as a whole belongs to the late 13th century. The abbatial residence (which now contains the maine, the court-house and the public library) has been twice rebuilt in modern times (in 1750 and again after a fire in 1871), but the original plan and style have been preserved in the imposing front, the vestibule and the grand staircase. Some of the houses of the canonesses dating from the 17th and 18th centuries also remain.
Remiremont (Romarici Mons) derives its name from Saint
Romaric, one of the companions of Saint Columban of Luxeuil, who in the 7th century founded Remiremont Abbey, a monastery and a convent on the hills above the present town.
The town was attacked by the French in 1638 and ruined by the earthquake of 1682. With the rest of Lorraine it was joined to France in 1766. The monastery on the hill and the nunnery in the town were both suppressed in the
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.