- Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
The Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) is a committee of the European Parliament. It has 68 members and a secretariat of 10 administrators. Its chairman is Jo Leinen (DE, S&D) . Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament .
During the 1990s it was unfavourably known as the Cinderella committee by MEPs, due to its low importance. However since then, under the chairmanship of Ken Collins, it has increased in powers. The co-decision procedure for legislation, which grants more powers to the Parliament, has been extended to more policy areas. Notably, the areas covered by this committee were the main recipients of these new powers. Also due to the rising importance of its issues (e.g. in regards to global warming), it has become one of the most important committees in Parliament. As well as becoming a major forum with the Parliament, the open sessions are usually well frequented by both business lobbyists and representatives from environmental NGOs.
The committee is responsible for:
1. environmental policy and environmental protection measures, in particular concerning:
- (a) air, soil and water pollution, waste management and recycling, dangerous substances and preparations, noise levels, climate change, protection of biodiversity,
- (b) sustainable development,
- (c) international and regional measures and agreements aimed at protecting the environment,
- (d) restoration of environmental damage,
- (e) civil protection,
- (f) the European Environment Agency;
2. public health, in particular:
- (a) programmes and specific actions in the field of public health,
- (b) pharmaceutical and cosmetic products,
- (c) health aspects of bioterrorism,
- (d) the European Medicines Agency and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control;
3. food safety issues, in particular:
- (a) the labelling and safety of foodstuffs,
- (b) veterinary legislation concerning protection against risks to human health; public health checks on foodstuffs and food production systems,
- (c) the European Food Safety Authority and the European Food and Veterinary Office.
- Food Administration
- Food safety
- European Commissioner for the Environment
- European Commissioner for Health
- European Commissioner for Enterprise & Industry
- ^ Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
- ^ Hoskyns, Catherine; Michael Newman (2000). Democratizing the European Union: Issues for the twenty-first Century (Perspectives on Democratization. Manchester University Press. ISBN 978-0719056666.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Food safety — is a scientific discipline describing handling, preparation, and storage of food in ways that prevent foodborne illness. This includes a number of routines that should be followed to avoid potentially severe health hazards. Food can transmit… … Wikipedia
Public health — Newspaper headlines from around the world about polio vaccine tests (13 April 1955). Public health is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organized efforts and informed choices of society,… … Wikipedia
Public health-care in China — This article is about public health in Mainland China only. China is undertaking reform of its health care system. The New Rural Co operative Medical Care System (NRCMCS) is a 2005 initiative to overhaul the healthcare system, particularly… … Wikipedia
Health and Disease — ▪ 2009 Introduction Food and Drug Safety. In 2008 the contamination of infant formula and related dairy products with melamine in China led to widespread health problems in children, including urinary problems and possible renal tube… … Universalium
Food safety in the People's Republic of China — Food safety is a growing concern in Chinese agriculture. China s principal crops are rice, corn, wheat, soybeans, and cotton in addition to apples and other fruits and vegetables. [USDA. [http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/china/keystatistics.htm… … Wikipedia
Professional degrees of public health — The Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) and the Doctor of Public Health (Dr.PH.) are multi disciplinary professional degrees awarded for studies in areas related to public health. The MPH degree focuses on public health practice, as opposed to… … Wikipedia
Council on Education for Public Health — The Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) is an independent agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit schools of public health as well as certain programs offered in settings other than in schools of public health … Wikipedia
Professional Further Education in Clinical Pharmacy and Public Health — (Danish: Faglig videreuddannelse i Klinisk farmaci og Folkesundhed) is a Danish professional postgraduate higher further education for Danish pharmaconomists (experts in pharmaceuticals). The education programme is developed by Pharmakon Danish… … Wikipedia
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (India) — Republic of India This article is part of the series: Politics and Government of India … Wikipedia
National Center for Disease Control and Public Health (Georgia (country)) — National Center for Disease Control and Public Health is a national agency of the country of Georgia, under the Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs. It is based in the capital Tbilisi. The NCDC is tasked with protecting the public s… … Wikipedia