- USS Palo Blanco (AN-64)
USS "Palo Blanco" (YN-85/AN-64/ATA-214) was an "ATA-214"-class
auxiliary fleet tugacquired by the U.S. Navytowards the end of World War II. She was designed as a yard net tender (YN-85), then redesignated net laying ship (AN-64), and then as an auxiliary fleet tug (ATA-214) as wartime requirements changed quickly towards the war’s end. "Palo Blanco" served in the Pacific Theatre during her brief career with the Navy..
Constructed in Louisiana
"Palo Blanco" (ATA–214) was laid down
22 May 1943as "YN–85" at Canulette Shipbuilding Co., Slidell, Louisiana; re-designated "AN–64", 20 January 1944; launched 17 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Isabella A. Gamage; re-designated "ATA–214", 12 August 1944; lost the name "Palo Blanco"; and commissioned 25 September 1944.
World War II service
During her brief war-time career, "ATA–214" served in the
Pacific Ocean. In July 1945, she provided auxiliary tug services in and around Leyte Gulf. On the 12th, she steamed to Buckner Bay, Okinawa, but returned to San Pedro Bay, Leyte the 25th.
After the war, the ship decommissioned in September
1945; she was transferred to the U.S. Maritime Commission 30 April 1947.
World War II
* [http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/38/38214.htm NavSource Online: YN-85 / AN-64 Palo Blanco - ATA-214]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.