- Henry Huggins
name = Henry Huggins
image_caption = Cover of Henry Huggins
language = English
Henry Huggins is a character appearing in a series of
juvenile fiction novels by Beverly Cleary, first appearing in "Henry Huggins". Henry is a young boy living on Klickitat Streetin Portland, Oregon. The novels take place in the 1950s, which is when Cleary wrote most of the books. The books describe several different adventures that Henry experiences in his neighborhood, as well as Henry's interactions with other neighborhood children.
The Henry Huggins books were all illustrated by
librarian, wrote the first Henry Huggins book in 1950, in response to the boys in her library searching for books "about boys like us." After the series had progressed for a time, Cleary launched a new series about one of the supporting characters, Ramona Quimby. The Ramona series ultimately surpassed the Henry Huggins series in popularity. Henry Huggins appeared only rarely in the Ramona series as a supporting character.
Characters in Henry Huggins series
* Henry Huggins.
* Ribsy : Ribsy is Henry's dog; the dog was named "Ribsy" because when Henry found him, he was so thin, his ribs were showing.
* Beezus Quimby: Beezus, whose real name is Beatrice, is one of the children in Henry's neighborhood. While Henry is still young enough to not be entirely mature about "playing with girls," he still very often encounters her in the neighborhood. Beezus acquired her nickname because her younger sister, Ramona, was unable to say "Beatrice," and everyone in the neighborhood took to using her pronunciation.
Ramona Quimby: Ramona is Beezus' younger sister. She wants to follow her sister and Henry and do everything they do, but because she is so young, the older children perceive her mostly as a pest. In her pre-school days, her favorite TV program was the Sheriff Bud program, an analog of Howdy Doody.
* Henry's parents.
* Scooter McCarthy: An older boy with a paper route; Henry is often irritated by Scooter's upper-classman attitudes, covets a paper route as well and once even fills in, using Scooter's customers to promote a paper drive. Scooter, however, has some sense of fair play and in one case set reasonable rules for Henry and Ribsy's former owner to see who should keep the dog.
* Byron "Murph" Murphy: A boy just a bit older than Henry who is a genius, and fast friends with Henry.
* The Grumbies: the Huggins' neighbours.
* Mrs. Peabody: one of Henry's paper route customers, who has a dog named Ranger, and who for a time calls Henry "Harry Higgins".
Books in the series
* "Henry Huggins", published in 1950.
Henry and Beezus", published in 1952.
Henry and Ribsy", published in 1954.
Henry and the Paper Route", published in 1957.
Henry and the Clubhouse", published in 1962.
Ribsy", published in 1964.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Henry Huggins (novel) — infobox Book name = Henry Huggins image caption = Cover of Henry Huggins author = Beverly Cleary cover artist = country = United States language = English series = Henry Huggins genre = Novel publisher = HarperCollins release date = 1950 media… … Wikipedia
Huggins — refers to:People with the surname Huggins: *Bob Huggins (born 1953), American college basketball coach *Charles Brenton Huggins (1901–1997), Canadian born American physician, physiologist, and cancer researcher *Godfrey Huggins, 1st Viscount… … Wikipedia
Henry and Ribsy — infobox Book name = Henry and Ribsy image caption = author = Mykel Bean cover artist = Micheal Austin country = United States language = English series =Drake Bell genre = Novel publisher = release date = media type = pages = isbn = preceded by … Wikipedia
Henry Cecil McBay — Henry Ransom Cecil McBay (1914–1995) was a chemist and a teacher.Birth/Family BackgroundMcBay was born Henry Ransom McBay (named for his maternal grandfather, Henry Ransom) in 1914 in Mexia, Texas. His father, William Cecil McBay, was a barber… … Wikipedia
Henry Hallett Dale — Born 9 June 1875(1875 06 09) London, England Died 23 July 1968(1968 07 23) … Wikipedia
Henry Dale — Henry Hallett Dale Pour les articles homonymes, voir Dale. Sir Henry Hallett Dale, (9 juin 1875 23 juillet 1968) était un neuroscientifique britannique, prix Nobel de physiologie ou médecine avec Otto Loewi en 1936 pour leurs travaux sur le rôle… … Wikipédia en Français
Henry Draper Medal — Médaille Henry Draper La médaille Henry Draper est une distinction introduite par la veuve de l astronome américain Henry Draper et décernée par la National Academy of Sciences (académie des sciences des États Unis d Amérique). Elle vise à… … Wikipédia en Français
Henry Draper Medal — Die Henry Draper Medal ist eine Auszeichnung für Astrophysik der US amerikanischen National Academy of Sciences. Sie wurde nach Henry Draper benannt. Preisträger 1886 Samuel Pierpont Langley 1888 Edward Charles Pickering 1890 Henry A. Rowland… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Henry Hallett Dale — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Dale. Sir Henry Hallett Dale (9 juin 1875 à Londres 23 juillet 1968) est un neuroscientifique britannique, prix Nobel de physiologie ou médecine avec Otto Loewi en 1936[ … Wikipédia en Français
William Huggins — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Huggins. William Huggins Sir William Huggins portrait de John Collier N … Wikipédia en Français