- Ted Wilson
Ted Lewis Wilson was
mayorof Salt Lake City, Utah, USAfrom 1976 until July, 1985. He won three elections. Wilson resigned during his third term to become the director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics at the University of Utahwhere he held an adjunct assistant professorship of Political Science.
His terms were noted by an election in May, 1980 to change the five member commission form of government to a mayor/council form. This initiative was created by a city scandal involving the take-over of the city personnel department by the
chief of police.
Other highlights of Wilson's administration included re-construction of the
Salt Lake City International Airport, re-building the city's sewage treatmentplant, re-tooling the water system, and expanding the green space of the city's parks department. Wilson also initiated and passed the first historical and foothill preservation ordinances in the city's history. Currently, Wilson is the Executive Director of the Utah Rivers Council, a Utah based environmental organization.
Ted Wilson was born
May 18, 1939, in Salt Lake City, Utah. He attended schools in Salt Lake City, graduating from South High School in 1957 and from the University of Utahin 1964, with a B.S. degreein Political Science. He received a Masters Degreein Education from the University of Washington in 1969. In 1983, he received an honorary Doctorate of Lawsfrom Westminster College of Salt Lake City.
From 1957-1963, he served in the Utah
Army National Guardand was activated to full time status during the Berlin Crisis. He was an instructor at the Leysin American School, Leysin, Switzerlandfor one year. He also taught economics at Skyline High School, Salt Lake City, Utah for seven years. During the summer months of 1966 to 1969 he was a mountaineering park ranger in Grand Teton National Park.
He was appointed Chief of Staff to U.S. Congressman
Wayne Owens(D-UT) in March 1973. In April 1975 he was appointed to direct the Department of Social Services in Salt Lake County. In November, 1975 he was elected as Mayor of Salt Lake City. He served as Mayor until July 1, 1985 when he became the Director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics at the University of Utah. Retiring from the Hinckley Institute in September, 2003, Wilson retains status as Professor Emeritus of political science and continues to teach classes at the university. Wilson is a founder of the Exoro Co.
In 1988, he was the Democratic candidate for Governor of the State of Utah. In 1991, Wilson was selected by the Harvard University John F. Kennedy Institute of Politics as an institute fellow during the Autumn Semester.
Personal travel to
Indiahas allowed Wilson to study and understand the Indian system of government. Wilson has made ten trips to India leading university student expeditions. During those visits, he has met with the Dalai Lama, and led efforts to build housing for Tibetan Refugees in Bir, a community hall in Leh, Ladhkand a school in Kotwara.
Wilson loves the sport of mountaineering and has made many first ascents on mountain climbing routes in Utah, in the Tetons, and in other ranges including the Alps, Alaska, Andes, and the Himalaya. Wilson has established three climbing schools still in operation, was a climbing ranger in Grand Teton National Park, and is currently a part owner of Exum Utah mountain Guides. He received the Department of the Interior Valor award for a mountain rescue on the North Face of the Grand Teton in 1967.
Wilson is married to former "
Salt Lake Tribune" columnist Holly Mullen. From his previous marriage to Kathryn Carling, Wilson has five children. He is step dad to Mullen’s two children.
Ted Wilson serves on many voluntary local boards including the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, Clark Planetarium Advisory Board and the University of Utah College of Social and Behavioral Science Advisory Board. He is an Ambassador for the 96th Army Reserve and provides a liaison between the troops and the community.
He enjoys bicycling, skiing, rock climbing, and back packing with his family. A favorite hobby is watching Utah’s future.
Assignments and boards
* University of Directors of Utah Alumni Board
* American Alpine Club Board
* Vice Chair, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance
* College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Advisory Board
* Executive Director, Utah Rivers Council
Former boards and activities
* Chosen as one of thirteen Mayors to officially visit the People’s Republic of China, 1979
* Board of Directors of the United States Conference of Mayors
* Board of Directors of the National League of Cities
* Board of Directors, Intermountain Health Care
* Utah State Arboretum Board
* University of Utah Task Force on Undergraduate Education
* University of Utah Medical School Advisory Board
* University of Utah Parking and Transportation Committee
* University of Utah Campus Recreation Committee
* Co-Chair Utah Committee, Bill Clinton for President 1992
* Board Member, Friends of Sundance Institute
* National Board of Trustees, National Parks and Conservation Association
* Chair, Utah Air Travel Commission
* Chair, Platform Committee, Utah Democratic Party 1990
* Co-Chair, The Utah Form (Democratic speakers luncheon)
* Friends of Utah Tibetan Resettlement Project
* Salt Lake City Public Utilities Rate Review Board
* Mountaineering guide in Grand Teton National Park.
* Chair, Salt Lake City Futures Commission
Awards and honors
* National Science Foundation Fellow, University of Washington, 1968-69
* Department of Interior, Valor Award, 1968, for Grand Teton north face rescue
* Utah Bolivian Partners, Fern Wiser Award for Distinguished Service to Bolivian Education, 1976
* Utah National Guard, Bronze Minuteman Award, 1979
* Chairman, Utah Presidential Inaugural Hosting Committee for President Carter, 1977
* Utah League of Cities and Towns Award - Outstanding Utah Elected Municipal Official, 1983
* Honorary Doctorate of Laws, Westminster College of Salt Lake City June, 1984
* Fellow, John F. Kennedy Institute of Politics, Harvard University, 1991
* Pi Sigma Alpha “Professor of the Year,” 1994; University of Utah Political Science Department
* Mortar Board National Honor Society “Top Professor Award,” 1996
* Professor Emeritus, University of Utah
* "Utah’s Wasatch Front", Utah Geographic Series, 1987
* "Utah Then and Now",
Westcliffe Publishers, 2000.
* Numerous articles in "The Wasatch Runner" and the "Utah Business Review" Op-Ed articles in "Deseret News" and "
Salt Lake Tribune", " The Event", “Putting Together the Leadership Puzzle.”
* Weekly political column in "
The Enterprise", a Salt Lake City business newspaper 2000 to 2001
* Weekly political column in "
The Deseret News", a Salt Lake City daily newspaper, Wilson and Webb 2000-2002.
* Article in Utah Forum, “Professor Productivity: An Emerging Issue in America and Utah,” June, 1994.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ted Wilson (American football) — NFL player ImageWidth = 150px Name=Ted Wilson |DateOfBirth=birth date and age|1964|07|14 Birthplace=Zephyrhills, Florida DateOfDeath= College=Central Florida number=80 Position=Wide receiver DraftedYear=1987 DraftedRound=10 DraftedPick=274 Awards … Wikipedia
TED (conference) — TED (Technology Entertainment Design) is an annual conference that defines its mission as ideas worth spreading . The lectures, also called TED talks, cover a broad set of topics including science, arts and design, politics, culture, business,… … Wikipedia
TED Prize — TED (Abkürzung für Technology Entertainment Design) ist eine alljährliche Konferenz in Monterey, Kalifornien. Auf der Konferenz tauscht eine exklusive Gruppe von rund 1.000 Fachleuten der unterschiedlichsten Gebiete ihre Ideen aus. Im Jahr 1984… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists — Pays d’origine États Unis Genre musical Rock Punk rock Rock indépendant … Wikipédia en Français
Ted Leo — and the Pharmacists Gründung: 1999 Genre: Indie Rock, Punk Rock Gründungsmitglieder … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ted Leo and The Pharmacists — Gründung: 1999 Genre: Indie Rock, Punk Rock Gründungsmitglieder … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ted Hendricks — Hendricks, Februar 2005 Position(en): Linebacker Trikotnummer(n): 83 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ted Hendricks — Données générales Nom complet Theodore Paul … Wikipédia en Français
Ted Deutch — Theodore E. „Ted“ Deutch (* 7. Mai 1966 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania) ist ein US amerikanischer Politiker. Seit dem Jahr 2010 vertritt er den Bundesstaat Florida im US Repräsentantenhaus … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ted N. C. Wilson — Ted N.C. Wilson, de 60 años, quien ha sido elegido Presidente de la Iglesia Adventista a nivel mundial para el período 2010 2015, fue elegido como uno de los vicepresidentes generales de la Iglesia Adventista en el 2000 durante la Sesión General… … Wikipedia Español