- Orbiter (ride)
The Orbiter is a fairground ride invented by Richard Woolls in 1976.
It has a number of articulated arms radiating from a central rotating vertical axis. Each arm supports a cluster of cars, which are lifted through 90° into the horizontal position once the ride is spinning. At the same time, each cluster of cars rotates around its arm's axis.
Some Carnivals/Amusement Parks With these Rides
- Orbiter—Perry Fair—Perry, Georgia.
- Flying Machine (Orbiter without top)—Busch Gardens Europe.
- Orbiter—NAME (Cooke's Amusements)http://cookesamusements.com/.
- Orbiter—Seattle Center.
- Orbiter—Wade Shows.
- Sandstorm (Orbiter without top)—Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.
- Orbiter—Grays fairs—East Anglia (UK).
- Typhoon—Murphy Brothers.
- Vortex—Adventureland in UK.
- Orbiter—Mighty Bluegrass Shows, Bill Hames Shows.
- Orbiter—Strates Shows.
- Remix (Nicknamed Techno Power)—Wood Entertainment.
- Remix II—RCS Shows.
- Remix—Strates Shows.
- Remix II—Fiesta Shows.
- Orbiter—Illinois state fair.
- Orbiter—Enka Fair—Winchester, Ma.
- Extreme—John Parrish—East Anglia (UK).
- Transformer—Stanley Thurston—East Anglia (UK).
- Typhoon—Mr. Ed's Magical Midway.
- Predator—Windy City Amusements http://www.windycityamusements.com/
- Orbiter—J&J Amusements.
- Typhoon—David Rowland and sons Fun Fair.
- Extreme—Pleasure Beach, Skegness, UK.
- Orbiter—Champlain Valley Fair—Essex Junction, VT.
- Extreme Ride Orbiter—William Danter, (UK).
- Extreme Orbiter—Wayne Smith, (UK).
- The Orbiter is made by Tivoli manufacturing, a British company. In the U.S. their representative is Amtech.
- The Orbiter comes in at least three different names. The names are the Orbiter, Predator, and Typhoon. The Orbiter and Predator both have a cylinder ball on top (if they didn't take it off), and the Typhoon has lightning bolts.
- The Orbiter/Typhoon/Predator arms don't always tilt at the same height (90%). Some might tilt all the way while others don't tilt a lot.
- Most Orbiters consist of six arms, and have three cars for each arm with up to two people sitting in each car.
- There is a metal lap bar that comes down on the car for the restraint.
- The Extreme Orbiter is actually called a Remix. It's a completely different experience. The Extreme variant of the Orbiter has much shorter arms, and are a completely different shape to that of the original Orbiter. The ram joint is located higher up on the arm, meaning at full hydraulic pressure the ride can lift the arms and gondola units through a complete 120 degree angle.
- In Scotland from 1979 to the early 80s a company called Norson Power made a few clones of the Orbiter called the Invader.The ride was almost identical in looks and motion except that it's carriages held three passengers each.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Orbiter (disambiguation) — Orbiter may refer to: orbiter, a type of a spacecraft Space Shuttle Orbiter, the main component of the Space Shuttle Orbiter (simulator), a freeware space flight simulator Orbiter (comics), a graphic novel by Warren Ellis Echo Orbiter, an indie… … Wikipedia
Orbiter (Canada's Wonderland) — Orbiter Location Canada s Wonderland Area Action Zone Coordinates 43°50′24″N … Wikipedia
Ride, Sally — ▪ American astronaut in full Sally Kristen Ride born May 26, 1951, Encino, California, U.S. American astronaut, the first American woman to travel into outer space. Only two other women preceded her: Valentina Tereshkova (Tereshkova,… … Universalium
Ride Report — The Ride Report is the informal name of the report titled NASA Leadership and America s Future in Space: A Report to the Administrator. In 1986, a task force under the leadership of Sally Ride was asked to formulate a new strategy for NASA. The… … Wikipedia
Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter — Conceptual image depicting the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter in an elliptical low planet orbit around Mars Operator NASA / JPL Major contractors Lockheed Ma … Wikipedia
Enterprise (ride) — The Enterprise is an amusement ride, manufactured primarily by HUSS Maschinenfabrik in 1972.cite web |url=http://www.ride extravaganza.com/rides/enterprise/ |title=Amusement Ride Extravaganza Enterprise |accessdate=2007 03 15 |last=Burton… … Wikipedia
Amusement ride — Rides redirects here. For the album by Reef, see Rides (album), and for the BBC television series, see Rides (TV series).An amusement ride is one of any number of devices found at carnivals, fairs/funfairs, or amusement parks meant to appeal to… … Wikipedia
Great Movie Ride — The Great Movie Ride The Great Movie Ride est une attraction du parc Disney s Hollywood Studios de Walt Disney World Resort. C est un parcours scénique qui emmène les visiteurs à travers des scènes célèbres du cinéma. Sommaire 1 L attraction … Wikipédia en Français
The Great Movie Ride — Localisation Parc : Disney s Hollywood Studios Zone : Hollywood Boulevard Lieu … Wikipédia en Français
Monsters, Inc. Ride & Go Seek! — Monsters, Inc. : Ride and Go Seek! Monsters, Inc. Ride and Go Seek! est une attraction du parc Tokyo Disneyland au Japon. L attraction transporte fidèlement les visiteurs dans les séquences du film Monstres et Cie co produit par Disney et Pixar.… … Wikipédia en Français