- Orenco, Oregon
Orenco, Oregon NeighborhoodFormer store in the older section of Orenco Name origin: OREgon Nursery COmpany Country United States State Oregon Region Washington County Timezone Pacific ZIP code 97124 Area code 503 and 971 Part of: Hillsboro, Oregon
Orenco (or en koh) is a former company town in Washington County, Oregon, United States, located between Hillsboro and Aloha. The former community of Orenco now forms the Orenco neighborhood in Hillsboro, which is the site of the Orenco Station housing development.
The community was established in 1905 as a company town by the Oregon Nursery Company, within a 1200 acre (4.9 km2) area owned by the company. The name Orenco is a composite of the company's initials. The Oregon Electric Railway established Orenco Station in 1908, and Orenco post office operated from 1909 to 1963. Of the original town, the church, a gas station, general store, and many original dwellings are still standing today. The Oregon Nursery Company shut down during the depression. Orenco later became part of Hillsboro. The company was responsible for introducing the Orenco Apple, a dessert apple, in the early 20th Century.
Orenco is located in the Tualatin Valley, with Rock Creek and other smaller streams running through the area. Major roads in the area include U.S. Route 26, Cornelius Pass Road, Cornell Road, NW 231st Avenue, and Baseline Road.
Orenco's approximate location is northeast Hillsboro, north of Baseline Road, south of Cornell Road, west of Cornelius Pass Road, and east of Shute Road.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1910 75 — 1920 335 346.7% 1950 313 — 1960 400 27.8% 1970 200 −50.0% 1980 450 125.0% 1990 450 0% Source
European American pioneers first arrived in the Orenco area in the mid-1850s, after the Donation Land Claim Act of 1850 encouraged settlers to travel to Oregon. The Orenco area was cleared by Chinese laborers employed by a number of local farmers.
At the turn of the century Archibald McGill and Malcolm McDonald formed the Oregon Nursery Company. In May 1906, the Oregon Nursery Company purchased 170 acres (0.69 km2) in Washington County, Oregon where they would begin building a large nursery operation. In 1908, the town of Orenco was founded with the suggestion of the name coming from Anna Lisky McNew. The townsite was largely on the Donation Land Claim of William H. Bennett. Also in 1908, the Oregon Electric Railway began service on its line between Forest Grove and Portland. The Orenco school district was formed on December 21, split from the Shute school district. Many of the first families in the town were Hungarians the company recruited and relocated from the Eastern European country. In 1909, the Orenco Presbyterian Church was founded in June. By 1910 the town had grown to over 500 residents and on December 6 the community organized a volunteer fire department.
H. V. Meade began printing the town’s paper, the Orenco Herald in 1914. The next year Orenco built its city hall that contained both the fire department and a jail. Enrollment at the school district reached 169 students by 1913. On January 6, 1913, the residents voted to incorporate the community. At this time the city consisted of a dry goods store, a hotel, two grocery stores, a blacksmith shop, a hardware store, a lumber yard, ice cream parlor, and a printing shop. Services in the town were water, sewer, telephones, electricity, street lighting, and a third-class post office.
In 1924, the city was the setting for a movie about the North-West Mounted Police by a Beaverton film studio. The Oregon Electric Railway closed its train depot in the town in August 1928. Then in 1929, the Great Depression helped lead to the dissolution of the Oregon Nursery Company. With this many other businesses shut down and many residents moved away and in 1938, residents voted to dissolve the municipal corporation.
Oregon Nursery Company founder Malcolm McDonald's home is still located on the north end of the property that was formerly The Orenco Woods Golf Course. The golf course, which opened in 1953 and was owned and operated by the Hillsboro Elks Lodge, until it was sold to developers and closed in 2006.
Points of interest
- Orenco Station is a smart growth community in Hillsboro that takes its name from the former community of Orenco.
- The Orenco/Northwest 231st Avenue on the MAX Blue Line is named after the community and surrounding developments.
- East-west running streets in the former community are all named after trees, and are in alphabetical order starting with Alder and ending with Fir.
- Imbrie Farm from the National Register of Historic Places is located just north of Orenco.
- The neighborhood contains Orenco Elementary school, part of the Hillsboro School District.
- The Hillsboro Elks Lodge is located in Orenco.
- In the vicinity are Intel's Ronler Acres facility and Hillsboro Stadium.
- ^ a b c McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh Edition ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- ^ Mendelson, Kathy. "World Class Plants from the Pacific Northwest". Local Plant Makes Good. Pacific Northwest Garden History. http://www.halcyon.com/tmend/plants.htm. Retrieved 2006-11-10.
- ^ Moffat, Riley Moore (1996). Population History of Western U.S. Cities and Towns, 1850-1990. Scarecrow Press. p. 214.
- ^ Nursery company buys a big farm. Hillsboro Argus, May 31, 1906.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n Slater, Francis. Orenco—Once Called 'Garden Spot'. Hillsboro Argus, May 13, 1965.
- ^ a b c d Hanberg, Lou. Orenco Heritage Series: Book One. 1992.
- Media related to Orenco, Oregon at Wikimedia Commons
- Orenco history from Orenco Elementary School
- Orenco history from Orenco Station
- Orenco Station article from terrain.org
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oregon Nursery Company — Industry Plant nursery Fate Bankrupt Founded 1867 Defunct … Wikipedia
Orenco — may refer to: Orenco Station, a planned community in Hillsboro, Oregon, United States Orenco, Oregon, a former town and current neighborhood in Hillsboro, Oregon, United States Oregon Nursery Company, a former company whose name was combined to… … Wikipedia
Oregon Chorale — Origin Hillsboro, Oregon, United States Genres Concert choir Years active 1985 present Website www.oregoncho … Wikipedia
Orenco Station — Coordinates: 45°31′50″N 122°55′00″W / 45.53056°N 122.9166667°W / 45.53056; 122.9166667 … Wikipedia
Orenco/Northwest 231st Avenue — Infobox Station name=Orenco/Northwest 231st Avenue image size=250 image caption=Branch bench at Orenco Station with some of the etchings on the windscreen. address= coordinates=coord|45.530313| 122.915769|display=inline,title|type:railwaystation… … Wikipedia
Oregon International Airshow — The Oregon International Airshow is an annual event held at the Hillsboro Airport in Hillsboro, Oregon, United States. The event began in 1988 with annual attendance of 65,000 people. [ [http://www.events.airforce.com/details.htm?event id=3114… … Wikipedia
Hillsboro, Oregon — Infobox Settlement official name = Hillsboro, Oregon settlement type = City nickname = The Hub City motto = imagesize = 240px image caption = Downtown with Mount Hood and Tuality Hospital in the background. image established date = 1876… … Wikipedia
The Orenco — (Orenco,США) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 1457 Northeast Orenco Station Par … Каталог отелей
Glencoe High School (Hillsboro, Oregon) — Glencoe High School Location Hillsboro, OR 97124 Coordinates … Wikipedia
Century High School (Hillsboro, Oregon) — Century High School Address 2000 SE Century Blvd. Hillsboro, OR 97123 … Wikipedia